5.0 out of 5 stars Left the movie theater thinking "When am I going to see this again?", January 20, 2012
This review is from: Red Tails (DVD)
I'd heard a critic tear this movie up (on the radio) before I walked in. I'd been counting down the days to see the film and it just so happened to be a huge snowstorm tonight in Chicago (six inches and counting), but I was so determined to see this film that I simply didn't care. If I had to march to see it, I was going to march, fall and slide all the way there but I was going to show my support opening night. And I did. And after I finished watching the film, I thought, "I want to see this movie again. How quickly can I return to the show?"

I know the backstory of how hard it was to get this two decade old film in theaters. I definitely appreciate George Lucas for bringing this film to the big screen. Even better I think it's cool that so many actors who weren't as popular in films (even if they were great on TV) got to show their movie chops, like Tristan Wilds ("90210," "The Wire") and music artists like Ne-Yo and Method Man. I was already a big fan of Nate Parker from "The Killer Bees" movie and "The Great Debaters," so I knew he'd be good. Same deal with Terrence Howard. I only knew Marcus T. Paulk as the little brother on the TV show "Moesha." I didn't know a thing about David Oyelowo, Elijah Kelley, Michael B. Jordan or Leslie Odom Jr. And while I knew of Cuba Gooding Jr., I hadn't really been a fan of any of his work since "Boyz in the Hood" so I went in not really knowing what to expect, other than looking at some incredibly attractive brothas who may or may not have been able to pull this movie off.

By now we know the story of the Tuskegee Airmen. Those who know their history know how black soldiers were treated, and if you've seen the documentary or the movie with Laurence Fishburne, you may wonder, "Why would they make remake a film that's already been covered?" I remember seeing the Fishburne film when I was a kid, but I don't remember whether I liked it or not. I think I did, but I'll have to revisit it. What I do know is these guys all pulled equal weight in this film. The "stars" played the background and let the rookies be the stars, and the rookies really showed off their acting chops. I think they represented the history and the plot well. I think the humor may fall flat on those who don't know characters like these in real life, but for those of us who know the "black Jesus" guy, you'll get it. And I definitely know a few of David Oyelowo's characters. There's been some criticism about how an officer would keep rebelling against a higher officer, but keep in mind that these guys were fighting for not just a war but their reputation, too. I related to Oyelowo's character more than any of the rest of them.

The only downside I found in the whole movie was how unbelievable Ne-Yo's accent was. I thought Method Man was going to have a problem toning down a thick East Coast accent, but he did a much better job of disguising his than Ne-Yo did trying to have a southern accent. Other than that, I loved the whole film and highly recommend it. I will definitely be going to see this a few more times before it leaves movie theaters and buying it as soon as it comes out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2012 1:31:47 AM PDT
Hollywood says:
Tuskegee Airmen is a much better movie, more character development. Effects don't make a good movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 10:25:48 AM PDT
I reserved "Tuskegee Airmen," but there is such a long wait for it. When I finally get it, I'll reply back to let you know which one I liked more.

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:53:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 5:55:24 AM PDT
J. Johnson says:
I saw the Tuskeegee Airmen, made for TV movie and to me, it did nothing for what they did. Yes, character development but our men and what they did in the face of adversity at home, going abroad to fight imperialism and fascism, how hypocritical, in service and out, have never been shown in anything. I am a war movie lover, especially WWII. My father was in the navy and was at Leyte Gulf but you see no black men in anything. There were thousands on the beach in Normandy, where were they in Saving Private Ryan? Not major characters, just show who was there. There were over 150,000 black men who participated in the Normandy Invasion and not a one has been shown. The one black man they deign to show is during the Pearl Harbor attack. I'm just glad SOMEONE thought enough of our men, fathers, sons, brothers, etc, to show what they did as Americans, though not accepted as Americans in any way. When you think Benjamin O. Davis spent 4 years in a military academy and no one spoke to him, ate with him, nothing. 4 years of racist silence. In the documentary, one soldier spoke of being in England and how they did not allow that blatant disrespect to our men and he had to come home to the reality check. I take the movie as a start. Now, maybe the rest will be told.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:48:07 PM PDT
J. Johnson, thank you for weighing in. I don't know enough about Benjamin O. Davis to speak up but I've got five books lined up to read and I'm going to find one on him to get better acquainted with his history. Thanks for the (unintentional) book recommendation. At least I hope there's one about him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 10:58:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 11:04:29 PM PDT
lordhoot says:
I thought this movie was all hype and little substance. Inorder to tell the story properly, you got to be at least, historically correct. While Hollywood movies are rarely so, this movie never came close. I saw the Tuckegee Airmen and while that movie didn't excited me, it did educated me. This movie did neither. Just a lot of hypes, jive talking black people who sounded like they just came out of rap concert instead of black men of the 1940s who represented the best of the best. They were the cream of the crop, why shouldn't they be successful???

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 7:28:21 AM PDT
Critic reviews aren't as always as good as they think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 2:01:27 PM PDT
Shawn Gordon says:
Critics may not always be correct, but they sure are a lot more knowledgeable than many of the idiots who post simple minded, misinformed, and generally uneducated evaluations here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 6:47:38 PM PDT
D.E. says:
Given that just about nothing in this horrible movie is even remotely accurate it's hard for me to understand how anyone could like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 8:55:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2012 9:17:04 PM PDT
What is a riot is all of the historically-ignorant, "white folk"-sounding comments here.
And I say that being a "white man" myself.
I am actually of Celt blood, but that is still part of being Caucasian or "white".

I saw the film from back in 1995.
Pretty dry through most of it.
Any one who calls this one bad forgot Malcolm-Jamal Warner's performance in the 1995 film.
I take anyone in this film over his performance.
Howard and Gooding did a much better job as offiers than Braugher & Vance did in 1995 film.
Personally, I like the 1995 film while I LOVE this film.

The movie is not historically accurate?
The stars just sound like rappers instead of '40s black men?
Really now, just how historically ignorant are you folks?

Where did rap come from people?
I have also heard from other ignorant sourpusses that the guys sound too much like a modern college football team as well.
Where did that sort of chanting come form as well?
Military men.
Have none of you ever served?
You go no where, even chow, without chanting cadence calls.
Ignorant commenteers always arise degading quality movies, but this film's load of such people has got to take the cake!

Historically inaccurate, huh?!?
That was why every professional Second World War historian was praising the movie after they listened to George Lucas' explanation!!
That is also why every non-racist Second World War veteran was too!!!
Did any of you listen?
Did you watch the film even AND listen to what was being said?!?
What period of Tuskegee Airman WWII history was this film about you people?
The MIDDLE!!!!!!!!
There are two other scripts waiting to be made to do the begining and the end of Second World War & Korean Tuskegee Airman history.
It is not about them training and it is certainly not about how they ended the war or their service in Korea later.

Lord, save us all from folks who do not bother to read anything beyond a slim comic book, some pop magazine and/or anti-race/-religion tracts.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (624 customer reviews)

$29.98 $9.67