3.0 out of 5 stars Slower than T2i!, May 28, 2011
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
I bought the T2i first, then decided to upgrade to the T3i. For a period of two weeks, I had both cameras in my possession, so I could make a direct comparison, and decided hands-down that the T2i is the one I will keep. Why? The T2i is FAST. I shoot my toddler in continuous mode, and the camera delivers the 3.7 fps it's supposed to. It makes a huge difference knowing you can press the shutter and the camera will instantly take a picture. The T3i, however, adds frequent and unpredictable delays when "busy" flashes in the viewfinder and the red light is on -- even in continuous mode.

I used the same exact settings on both cameras (large Jpeg, P-mode, Quick AF). Compared to the instant responsiveness of the T2i, this was plain annoying and caused me to miss numerous shots. I used the same class 10 SDHC chip in both cameras, but -- this is interesting -- even without any memory chip in the camera, the delays are still there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 8:39:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2011 8:48:24 AM PDT
Hi,

I'm also trying to choose between the T3i and T2i. Did you contact Canon about your issue? I'm buying the camera primarily to shoot our baby and I'd be disappointed it if the T3i were noticeably slower than the T2i. Could the difference be due to the newer intelligent auto mode? But then again you said you used the same Quick AF...

Thanks.

Dennis

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2011 11:17:44 AM PDT
Bigbillyt says:
One other point, it appears the T3i is taking a significantly higher resolution image compared to the T2i which would result in a larger file size. Is it possible that it is the speed of the memory card being written to that is the gating factor for you not getting the same speed in continous, or near continous shooting? Would it be possible that a higher speed memory card would have covered the gap?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 10:49:11 PM PDT
Dennis says:
Aren't the T3i and T2i both 18 megapixel cameras?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 9:12:43 AM PDT
Milk Dud says:
T3i is just as fast! Hers may have had an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 1:02:12 PM PDT
Dimitri says:
Dennis,

I did not contact Canon, so I don't know if I got a defective unit or not. There were no other indications of it being defective, which leads me to believe the difference in performance is due to a design change.

Also: the diopter adjustment on the T3i was just a touch narrower in range than on the T2i. With my nearsightedness, I can use the viewfinder on the T2i with the diopter on maximum "-" setting perfectly. With the T3i, it was still blurry on the max setting. For these and other reasons, it just looked to me like the T2i was the better-built piece of equipment, so I stuck with it. I also considered higher-priced more professional cameras from both Canon and Nikon, but could not see myself carrying the extra bulk everywhere for the marginal increase in performance or quality. I am extremely happy with my T2i -- my only regret is not switching to a DSLR earlier.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 1:08:42 PM PDT
Dennis says:
Thanks, Dmitri. I decided to go with a Sony A55... still trying it out (have 2 more weeks left on return window).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 7:52:55 PM PDT
Hi Dennis,

Please let me know about your experience with Sony A55. I had almost made up my mind for Canon T3i but this review from Dimitiri about the speed made me kinda wait and watch..

Thanks,
Mo

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 8:10:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2011 7:10:25 AM PDT
Dennis says:
I'm "ok" with the A55... though it does drain the batteries quite a bit. You should definitely have 1 or 2 spare batteries.

This is my 1st DSLR so I can't really compare the quality to the T3i or T2i. Obviously it is a lot faster than my P&S. With my P&S I had to wait 3-4 seconds between shots... making it very hard to take pictures of our baby. With the A55 I can snap pictures quickly though that also has a drawback... many more pics to choose from at the end. :) But I'll take that over missing shots.

Since the depth-of-field is a factor with a DSLR vs a P&S sometimes some parts end up being out-of-focus when I did not intend them to be ... like cake candles in front of our baby. That's more due to me being a newbie. Up until a few days ago I pretty much used the A55 in auto mode (yeah, kind of a lot to spend for a high-end P&S hehe).

I just started playing around with aperture priority and manual modes. I find that I prefer manual mode to auto+flash for indoor shots when there's not as much light as I'd want.

I would recommend a faster lens if you want to do a lot of indoor shooting. I have the Sony 35 mm 1.8 lens (~$200) and it does much better than the kit lens indoors (at 1.8 vs 4.5 you see a big difference in the exposure).

I like the articulating screen since it lets me take low to the ground shots more easily.

I sure wish I had both an A55 and a T3i to compare side to side.

I still have 5 more days to return the A55 but I might just keep it (mainly due to inertia and it seems to be ok). If I keep it I might invest in a external flash + diffuser.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 5:28:43 PM PDT
Jim says:
I had T2i and upgraded to T3i. My T3i is not slower than my T2i. The are exactly the same when it comes to speed, picture quality and video quality. I think the reviewer must have gotten a bad copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2011 2:08:57 PM PDT