2.0 out of 5 stars So close to being a good TV for the price..., February 10, 2014
This review is from: VIZIO E400i-B2 40-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV (Electronics)
First off the TV functions good for the most part. The screen is comparable in sharpness and lighting to the M series and it has a semi-matte finish which is a great improvement over how reflective they used to be. I really wanted to like the TV and if it were not for the folowing items I would have gladly kept it and enjoyed it.

The reason for this review is to focus on why I cannot keep the TV and it is going back (and to see if anyone else has the same issues). Amazon has aready exchanged the TV for a new one of the same model and both TVs that I revcieved had the same clicking and humming issues (so I assume the issue may be wide spread).

1.) When the TV is off, as other users have noted in their review there is a constant clicking coming from what I suspect is the power supply (the rate is about 10 clicks per second). Depending on how well you can hear its very noticible when behind the TV, If the room is quiet (its in our bedroom) I can hear it from about 10 feet away. The clicking stops as soon as the TV is turned on. Both TVs that I got had this issue.

2.) When the TV is on there is a noticible hum or buzzing noise that comes from the back middle of the TV panel. It seems to be linked to the backlighting intensity. I had to turn down the backlighting to 40-50 to lessen the humming. The sound from the speakers makes it so that you cant hear the humming but once a quiet period comes up I can easily hear the humming from 10+ feet away. The sound is not coming from the speakers as I have run tests and it is coming from one of the backlighting components. Both TVs that I got had the same issue, the last one seemed louder by a little.

3.) The remote/sensor is not good at all and the area of forgiveness on where you have to point it to make it register is laughable. The first TV seemed really picky and at only worked in about a 1-2 foot radius around the bottom left of the TV (it did'nt matter on how far I stood away it just had to be pointed in that specific area. The replacement TV had a better range of about a 5-6' radius around the bottom left of the TV. I tried new batteries, nothing infront or near the sensor, nothing helped. Pretty annoying. I bought the Qwerty Vizio remote and it worked slightly better on the last set but the keyboard only works for a few select things and many of the Apps do not allow the keyboard input so its pointless, which brings be to the last issues.

4.) Maybe they will fix these with updates later, but the Smart TV Apps are archaic and missing many features. I got this model because the smart TV side was supposed to be improved with a better processor (the apps load at a decent speed improved over some other brands or older versions of Vizio). Using Youtube is a joke since it does not allow keyboard input on this App (couple that with the finiky remote and good luck typing with the bad scroll select), I had to link it to my smart phone to type but the video which played fine before became very choppy and stopped a few times when trying to use phone link to play. I was hoping to be able to get by with the TV Apps but as it is I will have to buy another Roku or Apple TV to get any resemblance of a decent user interface.

The TV would be good if it were not for these issues, I would have liked to rate it a 4 out of 5. Although after getting two sets that have the exact same issues I cannot recommend this TV. I am worried that the clicking and buzzing are signs of a faulty power supply or capacitors etc. Im going to give it a week then this second set is getting returned and I will not be getting another of the "2014 E-series B" models again.

In short, anyone who has this model please check for the clicking and humming issues decsribed above and respond to this. I want to know how many others have this issue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2014 12:26:22 PM PST
Chad Jacob says:
Thanks for the review. I recently sold my TCL 40" LED TV that had a "whine" or high frequency sounds when powered off or in use and was thinking of getting this vizio as a replacement... not a chance if it has similar issues. The LG tvs that I've owned are dead silent but it seems these cheaper TV's are using cheap components for the power supplies and capacitors.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2014 9:06:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2014 7:52:27 AM PST
B. Dunn says:
I got this model at Costco Today Feb 17th and I haven't noticed the humming noise at all

Edit: about a day later I heard it and I Returned the TV and got the 42 inch model of the same model series the E series for 2014 and it doesn't have this clicking noise

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 8:35:07 AM PST
Robert says:
I purchased this model at Costco as well and noticed the clicking noise immediately after plugging the TV in. It was extremely annoying...

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 8:17:19 PM PST
I purchased mine at costco and have the same exact problem. It is extremely annoying and am considering returning it.

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 10:00:54 AM PST
SmokeJumper says:
I purchased mine at COSTCO ALBUQUERQUE, NM on Tuesday March 4, 2014 knowing the "clicking noise" might be an issue. Mine HAS NO 'CLICKING: or "HUM" when the set if "ON" or "OFF" --- ZERO NOISE when "OFF". Perhaps a FIRMWARE UPGRADE took place? I have listened at night when the room and house are VERY quiet; also, NO traffic sounds - essentially "dead silence". NOT A SOUND.

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 4:25:52 PM PDT
mzglorybe says:
Thanks, it seems most people are annoyed by this, but not all. Good to know of before purchasing though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 5:11:26 AM PDT
SmokeJumper says:
I stress that on mine there is NO NOISE about which to be "annoyed". NO CLICKING - NO HUM - the set is 100% SILENT when turned 'off' which is when others have noted their sets have the noise.

I listened, my wife listened, my son listened and a neighbor listened; we are not deaf - the set is definitely 'silent'. Perhaps I am lucky, perhaps they resolved the issue in later releases. "Not a sound" as originally reported.

It is NOT a matter of simply not being "annoyed" by the "clicking and hum" others report. It does NOT exists at all on mine.

Posted on Mar 28, 2014 11:14:57 PM PDT
mckenna797 says:
I got my Vizio E400i-B2 yesterday. And It has no clicking or Hum. I and my Wife who is very picky about tv Picture quality love this TV

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2014 8:58:47 AM PDT
mzglorybe says:
Thanks. Still considering.

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 1:39:31 PM PDT
C. Dougherty says:
I bought the E400i-B2 from Costco yesterday (3/29/14) and today I noticed the 'clicking' coming from the back of the TV as mentioned here. I contacted Vizio's tech support and they advised me to return/replace the TV as it is a sign that it will fail. I hope this is not a sign of things to come (lack of quality control) as I am/was looking forward to their new M series coming out this year. Seems to be luck of the draw, or just a matter of time before this is happening to people, get the extended warranty!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (1,106 customer reviews)

$379.99 $379.00