Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars Good But With Reservations, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Fast Exercise: The simple secret of high intensity training: get fitter, stronger and better toned in just a few minutes a day (Kindle Edition)
After reading the reviews and seeing that the author has a best-selling book within the dieting field, I bought this one with high hopes. Let me divulge here that I'm a qualified personal trainer and have worked in a gym for five years using HIT with many of my clients. HIT truly is the most superior method of training for weight loss or any number of exercise related goals. Unfortunately I was left underwhelmed by this book; please let me explain.

I'll start with the positives and say that Fast Exercise is extremely well written; I understand the author is a journalist. I applaud the book and the writer for bringing HIT to the attention of more people - It works truly well. Now onto my criticisms:

First of all, the book references many studies, which I applaud, but precious few of these actually compare HIT to other forms of training which leaves you unable to see for yourself just how superior HIT is against the competition.

This being an exercise book, I would expect to put it down and be motivated to exercise. Unfortunately it falls a little flat here. Early on we are given statistics on arthritis and how exercise can cause and exacerbate this, yet we are given no council on reducing the risks. We are only told that we can expect crippling injury if we take part in this form of exercise. This should never be the case with a varied regime and good exercise preparation.

The book mentions some of the benefits of HIT, ie, weight loss, improved athletic performance and VO2 max. But it fails to mention some of the many other benefits such as beta endorphins or improving your tolerance to strenuous activity by pushing back your anaerobic threshold. The author sells HIT severely short here.

My real problem with the book is when the reigns are given over to the co-author who gets more into the specifics of HIT. Many of the exercise explanations are inadequate to say the least which will be a problem for novices. Dangerously, she advises us to run up flights of stairs and then take the lift back down. This is so bad I don't even know where to begin. If you work at all-out intensity and then stop and wait for the lift, you will suffer from extreme blood pooling, which for unfit or elderly participants could be debilitating. Why not just walk down the stairs?

She talks down the importance of post-workout stretching and then says that delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is caused by working out. It isn't necessarily - DOMS is caused by prolonged negative exercise such as lowering heavy weights or carrying out stepping. In fact, post-workout stretching is one thing that can alleviate DOMS, yet we're told to not really bother with it. We are also told that pre-workout stretching is a waste of time and I do agree with her on this point. However we are also advised not to bother too much with warming up, which I strongly disagree on, especially when performing HIT at an all-out intensity. You won't be exercising for very long, even by HIT standards if you don't warm up.

I think the most disappointing aspect of the book is the rigidity of the suggested HIT protocols. We are given a short list of them and then pretty much expected to go along with them with little or no guidance as to how we can progress from there or how we can tailor them to our own fitness levels. It's simply 3 x 20 seconds with rest in between etc. There is literally no guidance on using our own protocols or on some of the famous existing protocols such as Fartlek, which isn't even mentioned.

Some of the suggested exercises I would never use for HIT because they are nowhere near intense enough such as reverse curls and planks which have absolutely no place in a HIT workout. Unfortunately, there are many wonderful HIT exercises that aren't included such as burpees, squat jumps and some of the dozens of kettlebell exercise.

I disagree with some of the nutrition advice. We are advised not to eat carbs before a HIT session. Wrong! We should be eating carbs prior to all-out exercise because that is precisely the fuel the body uses when exercising at high intensity. If you have no glycogen from carbohydrates in your working muscles then the body will cannibalise its own muscle protein - Clearly the opposite of what we want regardless of our aims.

Approaching the end of the book, we are treated to filler content such as sections on Ways To Overcome Your Inner Couch Potato and the Guide To Being Active, both of which I've read in numerous places on the internet.

I was disappointed that the actual book finishes at 70% of the way in and from there it becomes Endnotes and Index. That's nearly a third of the entire book which you won't read.

In conclusion, I hope this book brings attention to how wonderful HIT is and in that respect it succeeds very well, especially if it gets people exercising. But there are much better books available on the subject, most notably HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training Explained which will leave you educated and most importantly motivated. But Fast Exercise is an ideal starting point which should get you on your bike and doing some hard, if short, yet effective exercise.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2014 9:11:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2014 9:30:48 AM PDT
You ignore the science behind Dr. Mosley's 20 seconds of fast exercise. No, he didn't mention ALL the conventional HIT exercises you are comfortable with...this is new research, not a rehash of what everybody else does. Besides, don't you have it wrong when you claim high intensity requires carbs? The muscle fibers (every cell) store glycogen (sugar) for "quick energy". HIT uses the sugar storage. Walking, bike riding (moderately), for example, uses stored fat. Since Dr. Mosely's 20 seconds of exertion are all high intensity, sugar is burned not carbs. He clearly states we need to be active throughout the day to maintain health, but with an additional 20 seconds of high exertion, just three times a week, the formerly inactive human body can reset itself and become really healthy. My recommendation is that anyone following his advice not use their new found health as false assurance they can now feast on meat and dairy and processed food products. A healthy body needs nutrition to remain healthy. Skinny people can be unhealthy too.

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 5:27:19 AM PDT
Adam Smith says:
JJ, thanks for your lengthy and well-thought out review. BTW - the author is a male, British MD (not female). (He was on Doctor Oz yesterday, and he's featured in a PBS show.)

Posted on Apr 11, 2014 10:01:47 AM PDT
Thanks for your very informative review. I will not be buying this book. But, can you recommend any books dealing wit HIT that would be balanced, safe, and helpful to someone new to this?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2014 1:42:56 PM PDT
VSP says:
JJ was referring to the co-author with regards to specific exercises, Peta Bee.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2014 12:09:33 PM PDT
Sugars ARE carbohydrates....

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 4:27:17 PM PDT
N. Morris says:
Thanks sound like a trainer I used to work with. Haven't worked out in a while and want to get back into it. Anyways...thanks for the advice.

Posted on Jul 16, 2014 5:55:53 AM PDT
Christina says:
Thanks for your informative book review. Christina

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:50:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2015 7:52:20 PM PST
R.Cavalli says:
Perhaps one of the most misleading reviews I've read in some time. If this guy is a personal trainer tell me where so I don't get him to coach me.
Basically we are getting Oliver's opinions which are not based on real facts. Don't get suckered in by this novice.

Posted on Nov 26, 2015 7:56:12 PM PST
R.Cavalli says:
Oliver spouting off again with untruths--as you can see Oliver has a real problem with this author if you read his other poorly researched review on this author's other book. O has issues--no question. Oh yeah--he is clueless as to what he is talking about.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›