3.0 out of 5 stars Toys present a health hazard, February 28, 2009
The tower itself is well made and easy to put together. The toys that come with the tower are another story. DO NOT USE THE TOYS!!!! They are balls of string you attach to the tower via an elastic string. We don't give our cats string becuase we know it is a serious risk, but with the toy being attached to the tower, I didn't think there would be a problem. Then I witnessed my very active kitty take the toy in his mouth and dive bomb off the tower. He got bits of string to come off the toy and promptly ate them. We ended up at the vet with a very sick kitty. He could have very easily died. The strings get caught in their intestines and can rub back and forth inside them like a saw until they cut all the way through. Our kitty was fortunate in that the strings did not cut all the way through, they just caused some bad irritation. All in all we spent $288.00 at the vet and if he had needed surgery, it would have been a lot more. I repeat, DO NOT USE THE CAT TOYS THAT COME WITH THIS PRODUCT!!!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2009 4:45:40 PM PST
QueenOPearls says:
Very good point about string toys! Thank you!

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 7:20:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2010 7:21:08 PM PDT
Pokey says:
This is a very good point! My cat ate an elastic band and the vet bill cost $600 to remove it from her stomach. Any string toy (not chain) should be removed when the cats are not supervised! (I don't allow string/elastic at all.)

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 11:13:05 PM PDT
Duck says:
$250 here. First time cat owner and I assumed that a cat-specific product would be safe. I realized that he had almost immediately chewed off the fluffy balls, but not until he became ill did we notice that he had eaten quite a bit of it. Had to get antibiotics and a treatment for his stomach and bowels that was quite difficult to administer (for two weeks).

EXCELLENT product otherwise, top notch quality, but inexcusable oversight on the toys.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 5:47:34 PM PST
When I got my cat tree I did as suggested threw away the toys bought those baby plastic rings that people get to hook toys on so baby does not drop them on the ground. I got two packages hooked them like a chain and hooked it on the little rope hoop that the cat toy was suppose to go on. The cat loves it. They are made of hard plastic and the cat will bite them but not for long because they are just to hard they look pretty and make noise when you shake them.

Posted on Feb 4, 2011 8:40:32 AM PST
Excellent point! Thank you for taking the trouble to share this experience
and thus save other owners of furry children enormous anxiety, expense,
and even save their furry child.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 7:45:22 PM PST
Sorry to hear about your cat, glad he's ok. I would like to mention though, in defense of the company, that it says in the instructions that the little balls that come with it are for display only, and not real cat toys, and should be replaced with real cat toys. I'm sorry for your cat, but it could have been avoided if you hung a regular toy instead of that one.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 10:50:31 PM PST
Twoscoopz says:
I absolutely have to agree...DO NOT USE THE TOYS!!! I had a different experience. I was in another room when I heard one of our cats squealing, I figured the cats were playing (fighting) like they do so often. Then the squealing got louder and sounded like a hurt cat. I rushed out to find one of our young cats on the ground with the elastic string wrapped around her tail, and since the string is tied to the lower perch it was taut and pulling her rear up by her tail. She was in soo much agony that she wouldn't let me near her without trying to scrtch me, so I grabbed a knife and cut the elastic string.
Now I don't know how in the world she managed to get in the predicament, but she did. I quickly realized that if she was able to get that string wrapped around her tail, it could just as easily been her neck. It is a very good cat tower, but I repeat DO NOT USE THE TOYS!! THROW THEM AWAY!!

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 6:22:16 PM PDT
Camera Queen says:
Thank you for stating that fact. When our Siamese kitten was 5 months old it got very sick. I remembered seeing a piece of curling ribbon in it's mouth and when I tried to grab it, he swallowed it. We already had an unexpected death in the family which caused financial hardship and everywhere I looked online stated it was almost $1000 in vet bills for surgery for this problem and they don't always survive. I prayed so hard for Harley after trying to arouse him with him being very limp. I rubbed him to make him wake up and gave him 1/4 cube of softened butter as a last resort. Thankfully he ate it. The next morning my son in law showed me a hair ball which he found on the bedroom floor and an hour later my husband showed me a 4 inch piece of curling ribbon with hair wadded around it. I will NEVER use curling ribbon on gifts again and I never leave any type of string/rubberbands/twist ties around my home. I learned my lesson.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 12:05:33 PM PDT
Maria says:
I just cut the strings of the balls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 10:05:28 AM PST
It is a stupid move on the part of the company to include something attached that is not intended to be used. "Display only" is not something you include with the product when it is delivered to the purchaser. Dumb move on the part of the company, instructions or no.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›