Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. An overpriced cheap plastic watch. Long review, sorry., November 4, 2013
This review is from: Luminox Evo Navy Seal Blackout Mens Watch 3051.BLACKOUT (Watch)
I ordered this watch on January 30, 2012 and am writing this review on November 4, 2013 I am a "watch junkie" so this went to add to my collection. It was my first Luminox purchase. Allow me to explain the difficulties and disappointments I have had with this timepiece.

First of all, if you look closely at the watch itself and/or read the product description, you will notice that this watch claims to be water resistant to 100 meters, which by my math is roughly 300 feet. This is a pretty standard water resistance depth for any quality watch. Fast forward to summer of 2012 when I went scuba diving and the watch began to take on water at 60 feet. The crystal fogged up from the inside and the watch stopped running shortly thereafter. I checked online at the Luminox website for a repair facility. There's only one authorized Luminox repair facility in the US and it is in Cranston, Rhode Island. I shipped my watch at my own expense all the way across the country. Included with the watch was an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper on which I had written a nice letter explaining what had happened along with my name, phone number, email address and return mailing address.

Well, a couple months go by and I've still not received my watch back nor have I heard a word from this jewelry store in Rhode Island. I call, no one answers, I leave a message with my name and number and a brief explanation of why I was calling and wait. Another week. Nada. I call again and leave another message, I send an email too. Finally, a few days later someone calls me back and tries to tell me that they got a watch shipped there via UPS, but it didn't have a name or anything with it, so it's just been sitting there. Okay, fine, whatever. Can you fix it?

And this is where I need whoever is reading this to pay very close attention. You can verify this by looking at the very top of the [...] website where is says (I'll just copy/paste this part): "Please be sure to purchase your Luminox watches through an authorized dealer or official retailer. If purchasing from an unauthorized dealer, one must be cognizant that there is a risk of receiving a defective piece, or a watch of questionable origin, and perhaps even a counterfeit. Be particularly careful when purchasing via the internet. Luminox does not honor any warranty claims that are not accompanied by the original documentation sealed by an official Luminox retailer. For more information on our international guarantee policy and authorized points of sale please consult: [...]"

What this so delicately means is: If you don't buy your watch from an *authorized* dealer, YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY. Amazon IS NOT an authorized dealer. Whether I got a counterfeit watch, I can't say, but I've ordered hundreds of items from Amazon and figured I would be okay.

So, I pay a little over $100 for repair. This is now a $323 watch.

I get the watch back and put it back in my rotation. As I said in the first sentence, I'm a watch junkie. I have 3 Citizen watches including a Navihawk and a nice diving watch with a depth meter and dive-time indicator built in, a high-end Casio G-Shock, a couple of Invicta's, and a nice diving watch manufactured by Aaron Lelah jewelers. I do not abuse my watches. So I'm wearing the Luminox at work recently and I need to change the date because we've just ended a month with only 30 days and the date on the watch always goes to 31 regardless. This watch is built like nearly every other analog watch with a date function. You adjust such things by manipulating the crown. When the crown is pushed all the way in, the watch runs and you cannot adjust the settings. If you pull the crown out to the first click and turn it, you can adjust the date without moving the hands, if you pull it out to the last click, you can adjust the time. The crown was very difficult to pull out, but I managed to hook a fingernail underneath it and pull it out. I changed the date and tried to push the crown back in. It was difficult to do, but I managed. "That was weird!" I thought, but continued working. A few hours later I looked down to see that my watch was not running. I checked the crown but it appeared to be pushed in all the way. I pushed on it anyhow and saw that the second hand started to tick. I took the watch off and gently tapped the crown on a flat surface and that seemed to seat it and the watch began to run normally.

Fast forward a few months later when daylight saving's time has ended and I was trying to adjust the watch again. This time, I could not pull the crown out with my fingers no matter how I tried. I ended up using a small screwdriver to pry the crown out and much to my surprise, the entire crown and its stem popped completely out of the watch and landed on the ground.

That was the end of this watch. Replacing the crown did not make it work again.

In my opinion, and comparing this watch to the several other quality timepieces I own, this is simply an overpriced cheap, plastic watch with crap for components and its relying on the Luminox name and some luminous hands to sell. The bezel is plastic, the case is plastic, the crown piece is plastic. It claims water resistance to a depth of 100 meters but flooded at a mere 60 feet. It broke, physically broke (!) under normal use conditions. And since I didn't buy it from an "Authorized Luminox Dealer" I'd have to ship it 3,000 miles and pay over $100 for another repair and I am not prepared to turn this into a $423 watch.

I don't know about other Luminox watches. Personally, I thought they were supposed to have a reputation for being basically indestructible under harsh military and/or combat conditions. At least that's how they portray their product. This particular watch had all the strength of a Swatch. I was highly disappointed and have wasted over $300 on this endeavor. May you not do the same.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 17, 2014 6:56:10 AM PDT
StillaYankee says:
You had to have purchased a counterfeit. My Navy Seal watch is now 20 years old and other than the band (black metal on my watch) discoloring slightly due to using it in some pretty harsh conditions, it still functions as good as it did on day 1. Everything about the watch is metal, nothing plastic about it. Is the crystal as sturdy as on my Rado? No, but I didn't pay $2k for my Luminox either. Luminox isn't the only company who advises against buying from unauthorized stores and there are numerous companies across a variety of industries who have had their products copied cheaply in China and sold here as genuine. You can't hold that against Luminox.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 12:48:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2014 1:09:49 PM PDT
J. Henry says:
I may very well have purchased a fake, but since I have no way of telling that for sure, I had to write my review based upon the watch I received. Edit: Upon further thinking about what you said, wouldn't the only authorized Luminox repair facility in the US have TOLD me that my watch was fake when I sent it to them for repair? I mean, they had to open the thing and get inside it. If it was a cheap knockoff, why wouldn't they have noticed or said something?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2014 9:22:09 PM PST
Jason says:
Apologies for the delay.

The 3051 B/O uses a polycarbonate (i.e.) plastic case. I bought mine from an authorized dealer somewhere in the 2010-2011 time frame, before I had the oversized pins that they use (24 mm) snap in half and slice through the lower part of my forearm.

I also had the hands fall out the front and have experienced that same fogginess that the OP of this review described.

Perhaps standards were different 20 years ago at the Luminox plant. But right now they're making money off their glow in the dark offerings and the fact they managed to put a Trident on their watches, which is in itself funny, because while I can't speak for all of the communities of the military, the only people I ever saw wear a Luminox after about 2005 were legs.

People switched over to G-Shocks and Pathfinders and then to Suunto's.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2015 11:33:46 PM PST
Mike P says:
I completely agree. It appears Luminox now puts profit squarely over quality. Got mine in may 2012, the rubber watch bands don't last more then a year, and now I am having similar crown issues. Only when I push mine in, the watch stops running. If I pull it out just a bit it will run, but then when I move during the day it inevitably stops again. Not to mention the case scratches on ANYTHING. I am not willing to drop another $100 to fix this, and after this will not be buying another Luminox. Can anyone recommend a quality watch with similar lighting properties? (The tridium is the only reason I looked at Luminox to begin with)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:49:51 PM PDT
Thanks for your review Mr. Henry. Your "Blunt Honesty" probably saved me mucho buckaroos! I'm really sorry about your experience and you are a good guy to caution us about this watch. I was smitten by the luminosity feature and it has a nice design, but if I'm going to put my hard earned cash into a "Tough Watch", I believe that I will look elsewhere. Thanks again, Vince

Posted on Sep 22, 2015 1:46:11 AM PDT
jaminglish says:
Now that's a proper review. It 's best to buy a product and give it sometime before writing a review, as you often find problems months later.

Posted on Oct 23, 2015 7:41:32 PM PDT
Leo says:
J. Henry,
Fellow watch junkie, first, sorry for your trouble. I'm from RI, and know the authorized repair shop you referenced, it's an honest place. Second, a good rule is only scuba with 200M and above watches. 100M watches are only recommended for snorkling. Yeah, its an odd rating system.. Good luck in the future.

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 10:15:39 AM PDT
Yokan & Ika says:
Obviously, this buyer got stuck with a cheap Chinese imitation, of which there are multitudes of every sort and brand!! Buyer beware!! If you can't get the manufacturer's warranty, you risk paying a lot of money for garbage!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2016 10:17:18 AM PDT
Yokan & Ika says:
Well said!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2016 8:32:59 AM PDT
J. Henry says:
Part of me agrees with you, but why wouldn't the OFFICIAL/AUTHORIZED Luminox repair facility mention the fact that the watch was a fake when I sent it in for repair?

You would think any "authorized repair facility" would be able to spot a fake a mile away!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›