Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment for offline play, October 12, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: FIFA Soccer 12 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First of all, let me say that I'm strictly an offline player. I don't like going online and playing against strangers. Either I play solo against the AI in tournament or career mode, or my friends and I play co-op against the AI, again in tournament and career mode. So, having a good playing experience against the AI is foremost for me.

I'm not going to get into the details of the new defending and tackling. You'll learn how to do that, as you play more and more. The same thing with precision dribbling, etc. I'll just talk about the overall playing experience, in the way that I like to play: against the AI.

In that respect, this game is a LOT less fun than Fifa 11. I'm a pretty good player, and in Fifa 11, in World Class difficulty, I can, with some challenges and struggles, win a Premier League season, when playing with a strong team like Manchester United. In 12, it is nearly impossible to win. It all has a very scripted feel, and there are some games that it becomes clear that we will not be allowed to win.

When you restart a game at the end of the season (because a loss means you're out of contention) because you lose on a 90 minute goal, and the same thing happens about 3 times, you really question if the outcome is random. We even make a concerted effort, "Let's play really tight defense toward the end of the half and end of the game," and it makes no difference. Stupid things happen to make you lose, such as the AI teammate runs AWAY from the loose ball, in that split second before you take control, so that the opponent takes possession to score. Or, the guy marking the target man on a cross inexplicably moves away to leave him wide open.

To give you an illustration of the uselessness of the AI teammates, when I played solo, with ManU, I got beaten by Tottenham 20 times in a row! When playing co-op, where my friend makes intelligent runs, or gets into space, we can usually win or at least tie.

None of the attacking strategies from Fifa 11 helps. 1-2 passing does not work, and most of the goal look the same. You pass the ball around, or make angled dribbles, trying to screw up the AI's defensive shape, then make a pass to a striker around the box, who turns and shoots. Crosses are difficult to get in the box, and even when in the box, never seems to get to the striker. Probably headed goals to kicked goals ratio is about 1:20.

Finally, EVERY single AI opponent plays like Barcelona. They keep possession with short passes, and if they are ahead with 5 minutes to play, good luck trying to get the ball back. The problem is, you can't play the same style, because the game artificially makes you make an errant pass, after a certain amount of time of possession. When we're ahead, we tried to run out the clock as well, by making doubly sure that the player making the pass was pointed right at the teammate, and making sure the pass was short and safe. But, after about 20 passes, the next one inexplicably goes way off, to the AI opponent. We just look at each other in disbelief...

So...I have to say, overall, I'm disappointed. For online play, I've heard it's great, but I'll never know.

[Add comment]