1,511 of 1,552 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Price doesn't make sense, May 14, 2008
This review is from: The Wall Street Journal (Kindle Edition)
First of all, having the WSJ delivered when I am at home or on the road is a great feature. I like the Kindle Edition enough to want to keep it.

However, I have to agree with others here that say the pricing makes absolutely no sense:

$99/year for the WSJ print edition with the Online Web edition included.

$119.88/year ($9.99/month) for the Kindle edition just doesn't make sense. Especially since the Kindle edition has fewer features, and almost none of the Pictures.

So apparently the extra $20/year is for Whispernet delivery. That makes no sense because I could buy the Web edition and read it through the Kindle Browser for no additional charge.

Amazon, the pricing on this makes no sense. Either get the WSJ people to include the Web edition in the price tag, or lower the price $30 or so per year. Less content for a greater price is simply not a good deal.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 21, 2008 7:56:51 AM PDT
Mike says:
Don't be fooled: the $99/yr for the WSJ print and the online edition is only a teaser rate. After one year, you will be paying $250/yr for the print and $99 just for the online. Unless the Kindle edition is also a teaser rate, the Kindle edition is a FAR better deal, and you don't have to be home to ensure that you get to read your copy. After my trial of the print edition is over, I may move to the Kindle edition.

Posted on Jun 20, 2008 1:21:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 20, 2008 1:22:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 25, 2008 1:31:29 AM PDT
Thomas Lee says:
I've been subscribing to the WSJ print edition for over three years and just received a renewal notice. The one year rate is now $369.94. The $119.88 the Kindle version costs is a substantial savings.

Posted on Sep 19, 2008 7:26:54 AM PDT
joetagaz says:
As of today you can buy the WSJ print only for $89/year. You can get the print version and the online version for $99/year. Yes, it's a teaser rate but the only reason to pay $120 for the Kindle version for the first year (the print/online teaser year) is if you travel a lot and don't want to read the paper on a PC. What makes the most sense is to subscribe to the print and/or print/online version and take advantage of the savings. Then, after a year, switch to the Kindle version if it's still a bargain.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008 8:35:25 AM PST
Pack of Four says:
I agree, I have subscribed to the WSJ paper ed for years, and the only reason I cancel it is they do not come until later in the day when I am at work. And the price is so high that I am not getting the paper until I come home and decided to cancel.

Posted on Jan 6, 2009 11:46:56 PM PST
John C. Shea says:
They should add a web element to it. I would pay a couple more dollars per month to have web and kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 10:21:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2009 10:26:52 AM PST
J. Seder says:
The Journal offers great teaser rates, but they're only available to "first-time" subscribers.

On February 1, the online-only rate was boosted from $129 to $149/year. They sent me a note in January that my subscription would renew on February 21 at the $129 rate, but I had to telephone them and forward that note to a customer service rep to get them to honor the offer. The print edition is $349/year. I'd love to hear a way to get better rates...

A $10/month Journal subscription on the Kindle appears to be the cheapest way to get the Journal, and for a paper subscriber could justify the cost of the Kindle. But WSJ online is much more than the paper edition. It adds breaking news, 90-day archive, financial data, enhanced content (including video, audio, animations, and interactive features), searching, forums, blogs, and more.

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 8:01:05 PM PST
Pat says:
This review was very helpful. I was planning to get the Kindle primarily because I read the WSJ everyday and this seemed to facilitate it, but given the increased price and poorer quality, it does not make sense to do so.

Thanks Permlink. Just saved me $359 and the dissapointment!!

Posted on Feb 22, 2009 2:53:51 PM PST
B. McKinney says:
I think the price includes some overhead charges for Amazon.com. Some of the blogs, which you would expect to be free, are $2.00 per month. The the fact that there is no monthly charge from Amazon leads me to believe there is some sort of connection charge that is built into each download. I don't think the overhead load is quite $2, but it would explain some of the odd pricing for things you would expect to be cheaper. I do agree with you on the price. I'm very disappointed the newspaper subscriptions are not cheaper. I'll just keep using my iPhone for those since i get get netnewswire loads for free. The books is where the kindle brings value. I'm excited about the release....just three more days until I receive mine!

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 4:24:22 PM PST
JWP says:
I'd like to know where you can get the WSJ print version for $99/year.....not even new subscribers can get it for that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.6 out of 5 stars (584 customer reviews)

$22.99