73 of 75 people found the following review helpful
Wonderfully done young player's version of a classic game.,
This review is from: Catan: Junior (Toy)
Catan Junior is a version of the classic "eurogame" Settlers of Catan aimed for younger players. It does a superb job of simplifying the game while retaining the important elements and correct feel and avoiding "dumbing down" the gameplay.
In general the Catan family of games are resources management games. A die roll at the beginning of each player's turn will randomly generate resources for all based on their positions on the board. Building new things require certain combinations of resources. Trading, blocking opponents and optimization are important elements to playing and winning. Catan Junior has all of these things, but in less complicated forms than the normal versions and with modifications that make the game less cutthroat.
For Settlers veterans, here are some key differences:
1) A single six sided die is used instead of two. Numbers on the board range from 1 to 5, and a roll of 6 moves the pirate ghost (robber).
2) There are three things to build - pirate lair, ship or parrot card (development cards that either move the robber, give resources or allow a free build)
3) No victory points to keep track of - first person to build all of his/her lairs wins.
4) Trading is with the board or the bank instead of other players.
5) Placing the robber on a space gives you resources from the bank, not other players.
Overall Catan Junior is a great adaptation of a phenomenal game that is a lot of fun and help introduce younger players to the world of Catan without overwhelming them.