4.0 out of 5 stars Download - don't buy the CD, May 6, 2011
This review is from: Here We Rest (Audio CD)
Very good music, very disappointing packaging.

I am a dinosaur. I have an iPhone with about 2500 songs on it and probably 2485 of these are songs I've downloaded from CDs that I own. I even have a Yep-Roc Records t-shirt that proclaims "I STILL BUY RECORDS". I like liner notes and printed lyrics. If I wonder who is playing saxaphone or singing background vocals on a track, for example, I like to pull out the CD case and look it up.

Having said that, DOWNLOAD THIS ALBUM, DON'T BUY THE CD for two reasons - One, it is very good and Two, the CD packaging offers virtually nothing other than the names of the songs (and they aren't even numbered). The band is listed but the instruments they play aren't. Obviously, I paid more for the CD than I would have if I downloaded it and, for the first time, I regret the decision.

If this is the future of CDs, I won't have to worry out running out of storage space in my home.

One man's opinion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2011 5:25:20 PM PDT
Thanks for offering such a helpful opinion. I'm like you in that I treasure the info that used to come with each and every vinyl album/CD I'd purchase. These days, I find myself getting ticked off with the skimpy packaging that comes with many new CDs. So, having listened to (and loved) this album on MySpace, I'll save myself a few bucks by downloading it via Amazon. Again, thanks for the helping.

Posted on Jun 19, 2011 6:11:48 PM PDT
Another dinosaur here. I feel your pain. Still treasuring tapes, Cd's and I don´t even have an iPhone. If they keep releasing Cd's with no information we will be exterminated.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 12:32:40 PM PDT
Yo Bro! says:
well, if you dont care about having music you like in the best quality available, by all means download it. mp3s or itunes aac or anything except lossless downloads will sacrifice quality for filesize. the fact nobody cares about that is a real shame of the digital age.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 3:21:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 3:22:04 PM PDT
CD Junkie says:
Dinosaur Jr. here. I DID buy this as a download, but have regretted it ever since because I like it so much. The download is fine but, like you, I still like to read liner notes. But my bigger reason for still buying CDs is that no matter what the latest & greatest format is (or will become) I can always digitally re-copy it from the "master" if I have the CD. The other reason is that if you are patient (which I wasn't for this CD), you can usually pick up a used CD for less than the download. If it s**ks, you can then sell the CD for about what you paid for it; making it cheaper still. I just hate to see the day when CDs are finally extinct.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (54 customer reviews)

Reviewer