3,995 of 4,395 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Is "Heaven is for Real" for real?, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back (Paperback)
I found out about a pretty neat program not too long ago. I could get free books if I'd agree to write a review. As a lover of books, with over 1,000 of them in my library, I jumped at the chance.

The first book I received was titled "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo. Needless to say, as a pastor I was skeptical! I thought, Oh no, not another I've been to heaven book! Beginning with 90 minutes in Heaven, the market has been flooded by books of peoples accounts of their journey to Heaven, Hell, and the Laundromat! I assumed this book would be little different and I thought I'd wind up relegating this book to the "not worth my time" pile. I was wrong.

"Heaven is for Real" is a a heartwarming, simple, and surprisingly biblical glimpse into a little four year old boy's journey into Heaven. Colton Burpo was four year's old when he found himself at death's door. His family didn't realize he had made his amazing journey until small but shocking revelations that amazed and bewildered his parents began to leak out. Colton didn't just have one sit down conversation, he let his journey be known one startling revelation at a time.

How could this little boy know these things? How could he know about relatives who had died long before he was born? How could someone so young offer such amazing insights into Heaven, Christ, and the glories that await Christians? How could he know things he'd never been taught and couldn't know?

As I mentioned before, I'm a skeptic at heart. A book like this one wouldn't likely catch my attention and certainly wouldn't win any praise from me. So many books like these are fanciful, unbiblical, and simply outright inconsistent with what I know to be true from the Bible. Colton Burpo's story was a refreshing and surprisingly accurate portrait of what awaits each of us whose destiny is Heaven. I read the book with a critical eye, looking for those little details that would prove this story to be at best inaccurate or at worst a fraud. I couldn't find them. His tale seemed honest. His descriptions fit the way a child would describe things, not one whose words had been fed him by an adult. Some of his revelations were simply amazing!

Who would be blessed by this book? I'd honestly say almost anyone. If you've recently lost a loved one or maybe you are a mother who has lost a child to miscarriage. You can find something here that will warm your heart and quite possibly help ease your pain. This book is a sweet, touching, and amazing story. I think you'll be blessed by it.

That said, you might wonder if I found anything in the book I didn't agree with. That's a tough question. I found nothing I'd say was blatantly wrong or in direct contradiction with the scriptures. There were a couple of things that made me raise my eyebrow but I can't quote a verse that says Heaven couldn't be like that, just a couple of things that didn't fit my expectation or interpretation of what Heaven would be like. Those things might make you wonder but I think you'll find they don't detract from what this book is meant to do, strengthen your faith, encourage you in your walk with Christ, and maybe just maybe long for Heaven just a little bit more.

Hope this review helps you make your choice of whether or not to pick up a copy of this book. I'd recommend you do.

Micah

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 <[...]> : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 46 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 236 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 8:06:10 AM PST
Sawnat says:
Thanks, I think I will pick this book up for my mom(and myself)...we have suffered a lot of loss in recent years. My mom lost a grandson, a son, and her husband within 3 years. I think this book will help ease her pain and give her hope of a joyful reunion in the future. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 2:27:57 PM PST
You are very welcome. I hope this book is a blessing to you. I'd also recommend the book "The Problem of Life with God" by Tommy Nelson. It is the greatest book I've ever read and I've read thousands. If you are struggling with the hard things of life, this book will bless your heart and strengthen your faith. It is a MUST read. May the Lord bless and comfort you and your mother.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 6:51:56 AM PST
Oh, it truly will! I think the reason God gave us this story is for people like your mother. May she be encouraged as she reads that she will one day be with them again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 8:45:31 AM PST
PlainJane78 says:
Hi Micah, I found your review extremely helpful and am particularly interested in the review program you referenced on how you get free books to review. If you don't mind me asking.....who is it, I'd like to sign up with them. If you can't publicly put their name out there I'd be happy to provide you with my email and if for some reason you aren't able to refer them, then I apologize for asking. It just really sounds like a program that fits me well. Thank you again for the in depth review.....I will be picking up the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2010 6:35:59 PM PST
There are three, I'm involved with two at the time. If for any reason this site prevents me from posting these links, shoot me your email and I'll send them to you there.

Also, if you like my review, be sure to rate it. The top rated reviewer gets a free Kindle! :-) Doesn't hurt to ask!

This book comes from:

The other two:

http://www.dorrancebookstore.com/doborete.html (Not yet a member of this one. Just haven't taken time to write the essay!) :-)

Hope that helps! Good luck, God bless!

Micah

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 7:30:10 AM PST
I thourougly enjoyed this review. It made me want to order it just to read this childs story. I lost my mother around three years ago, and I believe this may help me with the grieving process as well. Thanks for the beautiful in-depth review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 1:29:47 PM PST
You are most welcome! Thanks!

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 6:17:07 PM PST
Cher says:
Colton tells of sitting in the lap of Jesus and petting Jesus horse. He tells us of John the baptist and Mary, Jesus mother, how people travel in heaven, and who is at the left hand side of the throne, of what he sees on earth while he is in heaven. He tells of sharing time with previous family members who he never met. How "no one in heaven wears glasses and no one is old". So many precious details about what you will find in heaven and what Jesus wants us to know and why its important. A true blessing to the heart to read.

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 6:43:23 PM PST
In heaven, when you put your hand on the flowers that are on the ground they will go flat and when you brush them the other way with your hand they will go back to its original shape and won't wilt. See you in heaven...

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 9:27:16 AM PST
I don't know what your issue was with "90 Minutes in Heaven," but you must not have read it. And if you meet Don Piper and hear him speak in person, you'll know it's the real deal. That book and how his experience inspired him to reach out to others changed my life.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›