5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Tribute to an Amazing Mother, July 28, 2012
This review is from: The End of Your Life Book Club (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This latest Amazon Vine read had me totally engrossed from its very beginning. Will Schwalbe's mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer - Stage IV cancer that originated in the pancreas and metastasized. While juggling chemo treatments she continues to lead an active life, rarely slowing down for the side effects of her treatment. Although the Schwalbe family was always a family of readers, it is the time Will and his mother spend together as she receives treatment that the two talk about books they read in the past as well as titles they agreed to now read together.
This is one of those books that made me want to highlight important points and be sure to make note of some aspects as I read. One of those is that although this book is about the books that Will and his mother read, it is also a memoir of sorts. Will's mother, Mary Ann, was an amazing woman. She worked outside the home before many other mothers did so and was a great fundraiser and humanitarian. Her most recent quest was building a library in Afghanistan. She was well traveled, volunteering in many dangerous locations, not afraid to get her hands dirty. The pride Will feels for his mother is evident, and I was also amazed by this woman's accomplishments.
Although I haven't read more than a few of the books that Schwalbe and his mother read and discuss, that did not detract from the pleasure of reading this book. If anything, it has caused me to add a few more titles to my ever-growing list.
Before you begin reading, it is evident that this will not be a happily ever after ending. Yet, The End of Your Life Book Club is not really a sad story. Will Schwalbe is able to show readers the impact of his mother's life. He was also able to show the real and lasting impact her reading had on her and her children and grandchildren. This is a beautiful tribute to the remarkable Mary Ann Schwalbe.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 20, 2012 1:14:01 PM PDT
PT Cruiser says:
I loved your review, Tina.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 6:44:29 AM PDT
Ed Morgan says:
I agree -- it's rare to find fiction that is so thought-provoking that I want to highlight and mark up passages. Glad to hear this might be one such book.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 1:43:58 PM PDT
I have terminal cancer------can't read this-----

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:25:17 PM PST
c.m.h. says:
The book made me wish that I had been lucky enough to have known her. A very inspiring woman. Very upbeat.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:29:20 AM PST

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 4:39:12 AM PST
Bobby says:
Very and very interesting review! I wonder did you read "a crossing or the drop's history" by Anatoliy Obraztsov ?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 11:36:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 11:37:08 AM PST
mzglorybe says:
Betty Swirsky: You do not say why you thought this was the absolutely worse book ever... that doesn't help us potential readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 7:42:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 7:45:04 PM PST
I certainly understand Donna G. Grant's post. I was the caregiver for my beloved wife of 37 years who was a Stage Four (terminal) breast cancer patient for 13 years. Yes, Stage Four. As we travelled around the world, and ran a wilderness program in Alaska together for 9 of those years. I am going to read this book, reluctantly because I know it will cut deeply. I'll return to post a final comment when I finish it.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 3:45:23 PM PST
Margot says:
I agree with Tina's review: this book is very special and I made notes of some of the many books referred to in order to read them!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 7:08:55 PM PST
mzglorybe says:
Richard, come back and tell us what you thought. You will be able to relate more than most of us. I thought this writing was very well done and celebrates the human spirit.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,294 customer reviews)

$25.00 $17.27