Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, but a warning about the GotY edition., November 26, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Game of the Year Edition - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I recently upgraded my original release day copy of Uncharted 3 to a new copy of the Game of the Year Edition, as it was much more affordable than buying all the dlc online by itself. I'm not going to comment much on the game itself, other than to echo others affinity for the Uncharted series. But, I thought it relevant to warn people that while all of the dlc (basically everything that makes the GotY version different/better than the original release) is on the disc, it requires an online access code to activate. If you already bought the original release, the codes are interchangeable, you're previous code will allow access to all the dlc on this disc itself. However, for those who aren't upgrading or aren't buying the GotY version brand new, without a valid (unused) code, you're essentially paying more for a disc that only has the functionality of the standard edition. Whether Naughty Dog will sell or somehow provide buyers of used copies of the GotY edition a working code remains to be seen, but is probably very unlikely. At present, all dlc that comes with new copies of the GotY edition will cost you another 30 to 40 bucks to download from PSN.

So, if you just want the single-player, the original release is a much better value. If you want everything - specifically the map packs which are required for most multi-player trophies and bonus skins, but also multiplayer access in general - the GotY edition is clearly the way to go, but ONLY when buying brand new (except when you already have a valid code from the previous edition) or if the reseller has confirmed that the online access code hasn't been redeemed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 9:39:56 AM PST
Faisal.S says:
hey there,

I am slightly confused...

I have activated my ONLINE CODE for uncharted 3.

now if I buy USED uncharted 3 GOTY edition...will I be needing the codes or something?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:31:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 10:40:52 AM PST
I bought the original release and used the code from it to activate the games multiplayer over a year ago, but without any of the dlc of course. I haven't played the games multiplayer since then, as I figured ND would add multiplayer trophies later, like they did for Uncharted 2. I just bought a new copy of U3's GotY edition. It has an online access code inside just like the original edition, however I didn't have to use the new code - presumably because I had already used the code from the original edition - and I'm still able to access all of the dlc map packs and skins (via the GotY disc only) but without registering the new code. So, if you already registered one online access code for Uncharted 3, through the same PS account, from the original release, you shouldn't need a code for the GotY version, if you chose to buy used.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 10:32:07 AM PST
Faisal.S says:
perfect...thanks :)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:01:47 AM PST
VERY VERY HELPFUL YOUR COMMENT. THANKS.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 4:48:24 PM PST
J. Ng says:
I'm surprised they were able to add more data to the disc. I remembered reading that the game during production was over 50 GB in size so they had to make it under 50GB.

Anyway I already purchased the "Fortune Hunter Club" membership before this release, which offered an exclusive PS3 theme - is it included on this disc? The only incentive to buy this would be to save space on my PS3's HDD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 8:24:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 8:30:00 AM PST
I don't know why they'd need 50GB for one game, considering most get by with considerably less than 25GB, overcompressed as they may be. I don't think a few extra, relatively small, static maps and skins would require much data. But I really don't know how they did it. All I know is, that when I installed the disc, it downloaded 2 or 3 updates - which I had just updated my original version a couple weeks before, so the updates must have been related to the GOTY edition itself - and all the map packs and skins now showed up and were fully functional, and all multiplayer trophies were now unlocked as well, without me having to register the new multiplayer code or anything. I too was under the impression that the map packs would be a download, so, thinking I might not need the GOTY disc at all, I popped my original disc back in and all of the GOTY extras were gone again, implying that it must have something to do with the GOTY disc itself. I've played GOTY multiplayer for many hours now and still haven't needed to input the new multiplayer code that came with it, since I had alredy registered one multiplayer code that originally came with my release-day copy.

I don't believe the theme is included; I didn't see an icon at the usual place themes show up anyway; I also looked under my themes menu to see if one automatically loaded. I think you'd still have to load any theme to your HD anyway, unless you only wanted to use it when playing U3 itself. Hope that helps.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:48:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 10:09:30 AM PST
LividLeon says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:19:15 AM PST
J. Ng says:
Well don't forget there's uncompressed LPCM audio included in the game (in more than one language I might add) so that definitely adds more to the plate in data. But otherwise, yes that helps very much. I'll definitely consider getting GOTY one day for the right price to save space otherwise, I'll enjoy what I have for now.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 6:04:38 PM PDT
Emily says:
I've been looking into buying all of the DLC for Uncharted 3. Since I already have a copy of this game, it's much more affordable to buy a used copy of the GOTY edition instead of paying separately or even the $29.99 bundle for all 5 add-on levels. Thanks so much for this review! Really helpful.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 9:07:28 PM PDT
Andrea Haas says:
Thanks for your review! I'd like to get this as a first time purchase of Uncharted 3. Do the DLC downloads have an expiration date? I'd hate to get it and find out the DLC is no longer available to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›