Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GAME BUT NEVER SHOULD HAVE PREORDERED FROM AMAZON, September 19, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands 2 - PC (Video Game)
I have been a loyal prime customer for over 5 years. I get nearly everything from Amazon so when a game I really wanted was going to come out I preordered two copies (one for my fiance and one for me). Here's where things went wrong:

1. Game arrived, no code was emailed to unlock bonus content
2. Contacted Amazon support, one code was provided which I was told would work for both copies
3. Code only works for one copy
4. Contacted support again, was told that because both copies were purchased by the same user (i.e. ME) that only one code is issued per account

SO WHAT AMAZON IS TELLING ME IS THAT BECAUSE I DECIDED TO GIVE THEM MY BUSINESS INSTEAD OF GETTING IN MY CAR AND DRIVING TO THE LOCAL GAME STORE, I'M GETTING SCREWED OUT OF THE PREORDER BONUS CONTENT. Nice...real nice.

So please take this as a warning and if you are preordering multiple copies of a game (for multiple people), just go out and buy the game at the store. It's a lot less of a headache.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 19, 2012 11:00:39 AM PDT
Very unfortunate and seems VERY wrong on Amazon's part. I can't imagine this is their actual policy. Whether you purchased 2 games or 20 games, why on earth would they think you'd want multiple copies for yourself, only one of which includes the bonus you PAID FOR? If you don't see anything on the game description page stating this is their policy, I would demand a refund and go purchase that second copy cheaper elsewhere. The site Green Man Gaming has it on sale currently for $54, and then there's an additional 20% off coupon code on their front page. (I tried to purchase the game on this site Monday night, but they kept crashing.) Unfortunately, you can't get the preorder bonus now, but you should be entitled to a refund and re-purchase at a lower price.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 11:11:36 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Call them up and talk to someone in person. If they don't satisfy you, go to their manager. You will get your code.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:08:30 PM PDT
Also, ask them if the 4 pack pre-order only included one bonus. I have to assume the answer is no. I think you just talked to an unknowledgeable rep.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:45:01 PM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
I agree flash. When dealing with Amazon, sometimes the first rep I've spoken too is cluless, But a call back to another rep gets the job done. Amazon wants us (the customer) to be happy so we will continue to buy from them. I'm sure you will get your bonus if you call back and press the point. The promotion never said "one bonus per household". Two preordered games should get two bonuses.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:07:36 PM PDT
Paul Kiley says:
Shannon has already spoken to several reps at Amazon (I'm her dad, and hence aware of what's been going on). This sort of BS is why I got my copy through STEAM. Had trouble with a pre-order code on another game at Amazon a couple years back, and learned my lesson.

Amazon is great as a mass retailer, and I'm more than happy to pick up books, movies, etc from them, but they don't even understand the pre-sale promotions they run on games themselves, and it's often the gamer/customer that ends up being cheated.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 11:28:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2012 11:28:28 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Wow... I've had drastically different experiences. Case in point... I pre-ordered Borderlands 2, 6 months in advance with release date delivery. To make a long story short, it came two days late. When I called them on their botched delivery, they refunded my shipping and gave me $15.00 credit toward my next purchase. They went out of their way to make sure I was a happy camper. I didn't realize other have had such poor experiences.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 1:30:55 PM PDT
It's me again,
I actually had a problem a few times with pre-order codes (other than from Amazon), one for the Lord of The Rings Online and another for Dead Island. I contacted Turbine for LOTR and Deep Silver for Dead Island. In both cases, after explaining my problems to the actual game publisher, they both came through and gave me the bonus codes that the retailer wouldn't. I would think that Gearbox / 2K would also stand by their product. It took some effort. But I got my codes in both cases.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 4:08:49 AM PDT
Rose says:
While I understand your plight, on a more subtle note, I'd like to thank you for not rating the game badly due to your customer service experiences.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 4:03:53 PM PDT
KP says:
totally agree, 3 pre-orders zero codes

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 2:24:52 PM PDT
Lisa S. says:
You should have just returned the games then. Amazon will take it back. Once you get your money back go down the street and get yourself two copies with two separate codes. If you are unsatisfied or if it did not come with what you were told, send it back.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›