5.0 out of 5 stars Second Grader Approved, January 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Just Dance Kids 2 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a gamer from way back, and when I had kids, I knew I wanted to let them game, but in controlled amounts. Then we got a Kinect. When I saw how much jumping around my rather sedentary eight-year-old daughter does when she plays it, I was sold. In fact, she gets such good exercise when she plays that I really don't limit the time she spends with it. Needless to say, she was very excited to get a new title, particularly because she does like to play Dance Central with me, but tends to find it a bit frustrating.

One of the features of the game that I found particularly nice is that it contains a mix of songs for both older and younger kids. My son is a bit too young for the Kinect yet (he's only two), but I think this feature would work particularly well in families with multiple children in the 6-10-year-old range or so.

Like those Kids Bop CDs, the songs in Just Dance Kids 2 aren't sung by the original artists but, unlike those CDs, I didn't find this annoying. The songs have a lot of kid appeal and don't contain any offensive content, which is a good thing. Much as I like Dance Central, it has many songs to which I do not want my young daughter dancing.

The dances are all performed by actual children (as opposed to the virtual characters in Dance Central) wearing a variety of costumes, which I thought was a cute feature. I think it's especially funny to watch the kids dressed up as gnomes dancing to the modified Crocodile Rock theme to Gnomeo and Juliet. That song is a particular favorite of my daughter's. The backgrounds are all varied and adapt to a theme as well. Regardless, they're all colorful and fun to look at.

As for the dances themselves, they're fairly simple, easy to follow, and definitely age-appropriate. The game can be played by either one or two players and, after having joined my daughter on a few of the dances, I can say that it's definitely a good workout. The game really gets kids moving and because the moves are so varied, they're working every muscle imaginable. As you dance, you're rewarded with stars and a score, so it's excellent motivation for challenging yourself to do better and, consequently, spending more time exercising. What's not to like about that?

The game has a lot of nice extra features. My daughter enjoyed creating her own playlist, though I don't think she's made a music video. The video feature in particular impresses me because it gives kids the chance to exercise some of their own creativity.

All in all, I give this game high marks. It's fun for my daughter, it encourages physical activity, and it's great fun for me to watch her dance and see how much she enjoys herself.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]