1,081 of 1,140 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, new processor runs cooler, beautiful screen, June 22, 2012
This review is from: Apple MacBook Pro MD102LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
Length:: 4:55 Mins

I had eagerly been awaiting the new Mid-2012 MacBook Pro upgrade primarily because of the move to the new Intel processor, "Ivy Bridge." The 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 dual-core processor just makes this MacBook Pro fly. And it runs much cooler than its predecessors. I had my laptop running while on my lap for a couple hours and the bottom case was barely warm. Fan noise was not noticeable whatsoever. To be honest, I don't even know if the fan was operating or not, it was that quiet.

The aluminum unibody case has remained pretty much unchanged for several years. In fact, my previous MacBook Pro, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM has the identical case that this new laptop has... it is designated as Model No: A1278 if you look at the bottom of the laptop case.

What Apple threw into the mix, which made my decision of which new Apple laptop to purchase more difficult, was the addition of the Retina Display MacBook. Initially I was tormented with making the correct decision of which computer to purchase. After I weighed the differences and factored in the cost, it became clear to me that for my use, the 13" MacBook Pro was the way to go rather than an Air or Retina Display MacBook Pro. Here are my reasons...

-The Retina Display MacBook lacks an optical drive. For me, that was a critical feature as I am a Mobile DJ and still rip a lot of CD's to my computer. I did not want to have to carry around an external optical drive so having the internal optical drive on the new MacBook Pro was key.

-The Retina Display MacBook does not have an Ethernet port. Again, this won't affect all people, but for me it was an essential feature that I use all the time. I wasn't ready to give up my dedicated ethernet connectivity port.

-The Retina Display MacBook was priced out of my comfort zone. It's a phenomenal computer but I just could not justify the price.

-The Air doesn't offer the disk space that I need nor the right combination of ports.

Honestly, the display on the 13.3" MacBook Pro is gorgeous. I can see where a photographer might enjoy the Retina Display, but for me, the 1280x800 resolution of the screen on this laptop is perfect. The display is bright, very bright, sharp and has excellent viewing from side to side. I'm a little conflicted with the glossy screen, but I think I have grudgingly accepted it for the most part. In most situations I find it nicer than a glare-free screen. For some situations however, it is not the best because of the reflections on the screen of surrounding lights and such. You must remember that while reducing glare on a screen might make it easier to view in certain situations by reducing reflections of light and surroundings, by its nature the anti-glare will reduce sharpness of the screen image. By having the glossy screen you have an amazingly bright, clear and sharp image that is just beautiful to view.

I had also considered getting an early 2012 refurbished MacBook Pro. That was my second-best option. But for the small difference in price, I would not have gotten USB 3.0 ports and that was important to me, as well as getting Thunderbolt. Admittedly, there are not yet many peripherals that utilize Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 but that is certainly going to change quite rapidly. USB 3.0 is 10 times faster than USB 2.0 and offers throughput of up to 5Gbps. Thunderbolt is even faster and allows daisy-chaining of monitors and other devices. This new MacBook Pro also has an upgraded facetime camera. It is now 720p HD and that's pretty awesome.

Firewire 800 is still included on this MacBook Pro. Undoubtedly, Firewire is getting towards the end of its lifespan but many videographers are still using video cameras that use Firewire and I also have external hard drives using firewire, so this is still useful for me.

The newly added Tunderbolt port is also useable as a mini-display port and you can easily obtain adapters to enable you to hook up to DVI, VAG and HDMI. I do miss not having a dedicated HDMI port, but at least it is possible to get an adapter to fill that need.

The Lion and soon to be released Mountain Lion operating system has garnered a lot of comments both positive and negative. Personally I have not experienced any issues with Lion. The integration with iCloud is fantastic and allows me to keep my contacts, address book, bookmarks all in sync across all my devices (iMac, iPhone, iPod Touch and another MacBook Pro.)

The iLife suite of applicatons included with the computer are excellent. iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand are tightly integrated and work well. There is room for improvement, to be sure, but I use iPhoto and iMovie all the time and it is an amazingly capable duo.

If you're considering a MacBook Pro for the first time and are coming from the PC world, welcome. You will have a little adjusting to do but it's really easy and you will probably be impressed with how straightforward the operating system is. It just works. I can't even think of when I had a crash or freeze.

I've not yet reached the 7-hours mark for battery life, but still, I've been getting at least 5 hours plus so no complaints.

If you are considering the new MacBook Pro and you're already a Mac user then you will welcome the addition of a much faster processor, the addition of Thunderbolt and USB 3.0.

I am really liking my new MacBook Pro and with 8GB of RAM, and the new i7 Processor running at 2.9GHZ (turbo-boost to 3.6GHz) you will be very happy with the performance.

Regarding the 8GB RAM memory maximum for this MacBook Pro, it is interesting to note that Crucial sells a 16GB RAM kit for this particular model. Despite this, Apple does not acknowledge that the computer will accept 16GB of RAM. I called Apple Technical Support to ask about this and I was told that even though the computer may accept 16GB of RAM and seem to run without any problems with 16GB of RAM, the full amount of RAM may not actually be used by the MacBook Pro. It's kind of hard to say what the implications are of adding 16GB of RAM when Apple says the maximum is 8GB for this model. What will happen though is if you have any issues with the computer and Apple discovers that you've put 16GB of RAM in it, you could be denied service under the warranty. So I guess I'd be happy with 8GB of RAM until this issue gets more clarification, either by benchmark tests that show an improvement in performance or a firmware update or some acknowledgment from Apple approving the option of 16GB of RAM. I"d like to think that if Apple wanted to make as much money as possible that they would offer this computer with an 16GB option. Since they don't, there must be a technical reason why.

I've been using a protective case for my MacBook Pro and I recommend it. It's priced very fairly, comes in a variety of colors and has worked really well for me. It even lets the Apple Logo shine through the case. Here is a link to the Red color version of the case. RED iPearl mCover® Hard Shell Case for A1278 Aluminum Unibody MacBook Pro 13-inch (RED color)

UPDATE: July 1, 2012 - I've been reading reports online about the fact that the new Retina Display MacBook Pro has pushed the graphics handling capabilities of the computer to the max. This has resulted in some problems that are only just beginning to manifest themselves, such as sluggish screen draw in some situations, slow frame rates in other situations and image retention issues.

In other words, by pushing the limits, as Apple frequently does (and I'm not suggesting that that's a bad thing) early adopters are paying the price. So I'm feeling even better about choosing this particular model rather than spending significantly more for the Retina Display MacBook Pro and having to deal with the first generation issues.

UPDATE: July 5, 2012 - Note to PC users considering the switch to a Mac. Don't be intimidated to switch. Mac OSX is a fantastic operating system and not difficult to learn at all. But there are definitely some subtle differences between the PC and Mac user interface and experience. I would strongly suggest getting a good book such as Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Lion Edition. It's an excellent overview of what you'll need to know regarding the Mac experience and the Lion operating system. I use both Windows 7 and Mac OSX and own both a PC laptop and Mac laptop and desktop machines. I consider Macs to be my primary computer because of my familiarity with them and their ease of use. However, a helpful book will ease your transition and eliminate the guesswork.

UPDATE: August 24, 2012 - I've upgraded my OS to Mountain Lion, 10.8, and have been running it for about 2 weeks. I have not noticed any issues and the upgrade went very smoothly. Some of the new features are great. I particularly like the dictation feature that lets you speak while in any application that accepts text input and the MBP will automatically and accurately convert your speech to text. The new way that messages are handled is very similar to IOS and I like it. Some users are reporting less battery life but I have not noticed any degradation in battery life on my comptuer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 123 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 5:12:53 AM PDT
M. Erb says:
@Sweetessence: Thanks. I love takin' stuff apart. Putting it back together so it still works has always been the challenge though :-)

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 12:54:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2012 12:56:30 PM PDT
JK says:
Mr. Erb- thank you for your written review and the nice clear short video you provided as well.
I am (happily) running an older MacBook Pro that went into service Aug., 2010. It's serving me
well (I'm not a heavy gamer, graphic designer or pro-level person) that might want the Retina Display
models, etc. Do you think I might still benefit from going to this 2 year newer machine, considering
your familiarity with all of these machines? My MBP is running OS X 10.6.8. Thanks again for your help!

Bob in SoCal

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 5:49:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 11, 2012 8:45:21 AM PDT
M. Erb says:
@Bob: I've got a 2.4GHz MBP from mid-2010. I bought it as a refurb from Apple about a year ago. The new MPB runs cooler and is noticeably faster in just everything I do. I mean you could easily keep the older machine, but it won't ever be fully compatible with Mountain Lion and that's the main reason I switched to the newer MBP. I also wanted Thunderbolt and USB 3. So in my opinion it would be a good upgrade that is easily justifiable.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:17:51 PM PDT
Nik2133 says:
M. Erb, this is a great review. Thanks for taking the time and effort.. I'm a PC person about to move my whole household to Mac. You review (both video and written) are succinct, not 'fan-boi' sounding and objective.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 1:56:23 AM PDT
Awesome info for this buyer who needs more than I like it better than my last one ,,,,,Many thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2012 5:26:52 PM PDT
M. Erb says:
Thanks for your positive reaction to my review.

And good news for the poor battery life issue with Mountain Lion... Apple is working on an update, soon to be released, that has fixed the battery life issue.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 3:27:32 PM PDT
D. Barden says:
I'm currently in the market to purchase my FIRST MacBook Pro. Never owned or operated a Mac. But i know i'll figure everything out as i like that part of technology and software. What makes this a tough purchase is the price. I'm currently deciding between the MacBook Pro 13in 2.9 GHz model and 2.3 GHz 15 inch model. The 15 inch has a quad core processor, NVIDIA graphics card, and of course the larger display. I'm a college student, but i wouldn't say the price difference on these two machines are a major issue. I'm also looking to start diving into music production and video editing. Nothing major right now just wanna get my feet wet. Idk if that's enough info but i sure would appreciate some help :) Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 10:08:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 10:13:05 PM PDT
M. Erb says:
@D.Barden: I can tell you that for video editing, the 15" would be a better choice because of the improved graphic performance and larger screen. Take video editing out of the equation, I'd say the 13" 2.9 GHz provides a sweet spot in performance vs price. Of course the 13" will do video editing, but just more slowly. If you can, spend a little time Googling for the performance specs and benchmarks on both machines... you may find that quite helpful.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 4:41:27 PM PDT
Jim Morrison says:
hey, and don't forget you don't have to own a PC running Windows, the Mac runs windows as fast and in most cases faster than a native PC machine. Just partition the hard drive and run "Parallel"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 7:20:51 AM PDT
M. Erb says:
@Jim: Good point. Mac does windows better than PC does windows. Kind of ironic in a way.

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (1,106 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $700.00
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

M. Erb
(VINE VOICE)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 8