4.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a reformed Xbot., January 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PlayStation 3 Slim 320 GB Charcoal Black Console (Video Game)
I bought an Xbox 360 at launch in 2005 and haven't had much experience with a PS3 since. However it's gotten to the point where the PS3 1st party library could no longer be ignored and I caved. Coming from Xbox, I've been really impressed by some things and really disappointed by a few. Here's a simple list of things you might want to know if you're coming from Xbox-land:

Positives:
- Silky smooth graphics: The PS3 has a pure horsepower advantage over the Xbox 360 and when developers choose to take advantage of it (usually SCEA titles) it really shows. Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance all look really amazing and there's never a hint of any slowdown or hiccups, which is more than I can say for Xbox. When it comes to 3rd party titles, they're on par with one another but 1st party really shines on PS3.

- XMB is a revelation: Particularly as compared to the latest iteration of the Xbox dashboard (or as I like to call it, ad-palooza). The XMB is elegant, smooth and intuitive and the ads are very, very few and unobtrusive. When I play my PS3 I feel like I own it, when I play my Xbox I feel like Microsoft does and they're just letting me borrow it.

- Free online features: What makes me angriest is that I've dropped $250 bucks on the cost of Xbox Live over the past few years and having used both XBL and PSN, I really regret spending that money. How Microsoft convinced me that I need to pay THEM to watch Netflix and YouTube, I'll never understand. Break the chains.

- 1st party games: Sony really has done amazing things with it's 1st party studios over the course of this generation. Resistance, Killzone, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Heavy Rain, God of War, and the list goes on. While Microsoft was doing interesting things the first few years of Xbox 360, it has since devolved into year after year of Gears or Halo.

- Media player: It's kind of ironic, but my PS3 is much better at interfacing with my Windows 7 PC than my Xbox is. Actually, it's not even the interfacing part, it's that the PS3 will play anything I throw at it, whereas the Xbox refuses to play even M4A audio files. Also, the entire PS3 media player interface is much more pleasant form selecting a file to the music visualizations, PS3 wins.

Negatives:

- Game installs and updates: Good god, on average it takes about 10-20 minutes of installs and updates before I can play a game on PS3. It really is ridiculous and there's no way around it. I can't understand why Sony thinks the update system they have in place is acceptable, it really isn't. Espcesially as compared to the quick, seamless updates on Xbox.

- PSN store: Ugly, unintuitive, and a mess. That's all I have to say. Granted, the latest version of the Xbox store isn't great but it's better than this mess.

- 802.11G: Even my iPod has 802.11N. Get with the times, Sony.

- Controller: This may be a matter of personal preference but after a few weeks of PS3 only gaming, going back to the 360 controller was an incredible feeling. The Xbox controller is so much bigger and more substantial and the buttons feel great. Now if we could only do something about that D-pad...

- Controller charging: A pain in the butt. The cord they give you is about 3 feet long and your PS3 MUST be on to charge the controllers. And if you have a Move controller, nav controller, and DS3 it's a mess.

Hope that helps as you make your decision. Love my PS3 so far!

[Add comment]