4.0 out of 5 stars Stable and good for interurban travelers., June 7, 2012
This review is from: Samsonite Luggage Hyperspace Spinner 21.5 Expandable Suitcase (Apparel)
Plusses:

- Very good stability, unlike competing models.

- Large, double wheels (8 total) add stability and are very good on city streets (good for urban travelers; see below)

- Can be pulled like a two-wheel easily on rougher terrain, but still glide smoothly on all four wheels in the airport.

-Mine came with a very lightweight nylon bag, a triangle-shaped type with a drawstring closure with two cords connected to the outer corners, making it useful as a little daypack comfortable with a little jacket, sun glasses case, a hat and a few other things inside. Also good as a laundry bag.
- handle long enough for me to use in any position - I am 6"

Drawbacks:
- internal compression straps are dinky and do not compress, really. This would not be such a big deal except that compression helps you pack for stability and keep heavy objects or stacks of clothes close to the center of the bag's gravity.
- 30% more than i wanted to spend.

The bag I wanted was the Victorinox Avolve 22" thanks to a very thoughtful and exhaustive review a customer posted on the Amazon listing, but decided that it was out of my price range (and I do not travel as much as that reviewer, by a long shot). I almost bought the very affordable Samsonite Dkx 21" from a discount store but abandoned the purchase when I saw Amazon reviewers found it unstable and prone to falling over (a most inconvenient feature in a bag style people seek out for its convenience).

What I did not see addressed in any review were my particular needs: I fly regularly between two cities where, on each end, I use public transport and eventually end up pulling my luggage many blocks of city streets before I reach my destination. (I assume many Amazon reviewers go from the airport to their destinations by car). In my case, I was concerned to have a stable rolling suitcase that can handle some measure of slushy, uneven sidewalks. My older, much larger two-wheeled samsonite with in-line skate wheels has done that job well. but two-wheel models are somewhat difficult to maneuver on a subway or crowded bus because you need specific leverage on the wheels when pushing the bag, and need the wheels oriented just so when pulling it, and crowded environments don't always make that easy. I therefore wanted a 'spinner' with wheels that can be pulled over rougher terrain like a two-wheeler.

The Hyperspace appears to fit the bill. I have only taken it on one plane trip, but have used it a great deal to transport groceries from my car to my apartment. it remains stable even when somewhat topheavy, and the wheels ride smoothly on sidewalk, including through patches of dust and pebbles that can collect in curbs.

In all, I think it is a good choice for people who anticipate terrain beyond the airport curb, and want to the full benefit of a spinner.

Update: I have now used the bag for five junkets. One started out on public transit in Chicago to Ohare, a flight to Boston, into a taxi to a conference, then on Boston public transit to a bus to New York city to public transit to Brooklyn, then back on the subway and a bus to Laguardia, back to O'hare and onto the subway, and a 1/4 mile walk to my apartment. It is a stable champ, maneuverable in all kinds of crowds, and not a burden. You are not supposed to lift it by its pulling handle, but I do - with lots of heavy stuff in it - and I do not see any ill effects. I am glad I bought it, and I regret buying many, many things.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2013 4:57:33 AM PDT
Terri says:
Excellent review! I'll be using my Samsonite much the way you use yours, bus to light rail to Amtrakl. You're right about the useless compression straps, this may help: packing bags! They have helped me immensely. I can get so much more in a smaller space since l started using packing bags. They stay put so the 'compression' straps really have nothing to do. I've never needed anything larger than a 22" carry-on roll-aboard. BTW, you may want to edit, I'm sure you're six feet instead of 6". My last 22" roll aboard was a Victorinox WT 2.0, needed an upgrade after 7 years. It's still in excellent condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 12:11:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2013 12:23:19 AM PDT
Marion says:
I'm not looking to replace my AWESOME old-school Atlantic rollaboard, which I regularly drag through puddles/gravel/sprinklers/sand/grass on my way down the street/alley/beach/railroad crossing/stairs/cobble stones, I am thinking about an additional case. CANNOT STAND wheels that don't roll smooth and quiet, I can sneak up on cats!But they don't make this quality anymore. So the travel you describe is something I really need to know about the perforance of the wheels, AND, I travel to classy places in a nice dress in between tramping about, so I can't be seen with some sketchy-looking luggage checking in or stopping in for a drink on my way to the next adventure. So I'm looking at possibly getting a newer bag and your review was very helpful. Know what you mean about pricing. Shopping for luggage is like shopping for a casket: they know 99% of their customers need it NOW.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›