3.0 out of 5 stars Good video and image quality but image stabilization a problem, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 12.1 MP CMOS Sensor with 12.5x Optical Zoom Digital Camera Black (Electronics)
Pros
1. Compact. Packs 12.5x optical zoom in a 1.1" body, competitors are on 1.3" or 1.4" bodies (though Nikon S9100 packs an 18x optical zoom in that slightly larger form factor).
2. Fast operations
3. Good low light pictures - a definite improvement from previous Exilims
4. Good video - again a definite improvement from previous Exilims
5. Panorama mode better than the Sony Cybershot DSC HX9V.
6. Flash doesn't pop-up and take the space where you'd keep your finger (as in Nikon Coolpix S9100, Canon Powershot SX230 or Sony Cybershot DSC HX9V)

Cons
2. Battery meter was flaky - I saw it indicate solid (meaning full battery) before starting on a picture, medium when focusing and low immediately after the picture was taken. Obviously no single picture can suddenly drain the battery. Also for some reason the battery life is not as good as previous Exilims (which has again been a Casio differentiator)

Check out dcresource.com, pcmag.com and cnet.com for professional reviews of compact superzooms. I still haven't found one from the 2011 crop that I'd recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2011 6:15:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011 6:17:02 PM PDT
> Cons
> 1. Poor image stabilization. Low light images with optical zoom extended all the way were mostly blurry. Was a deal breaker for me.

Did you have "Multi Frame SR Zoom" enabled when you made these observations?

Like to know, can't believe it is that bad, and would think that you would need a tripod to use this feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 5:02:29 PM PST
RIK says:
No multi frame SR Zoom wasn't on. I wasn't using a tripod but was able to stabilize my hand using rests. I found other cameras (ex. Nikon Coolpix S9100 and Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V) to be better at stabilization.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 7:25:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 7:26:41 PM PST
If you say you haven't found a super zoom compact yet, what was your overall opinion of the HX9V ? I'm looking at the HX7 or the HX9.

I've tried the SX230, F600exr, and Zs10..... Have the same reaction as you so far. I'm still using my FZ35 for a zoom, and my old F30 for smaller size and for no-flash low light... Thanks !

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 8:01:05 PM PST
RIK says:
I'm trying Samsung WB750 now and hoping that it doesn't have a serious problem. You can see my review of HX9V, I could live with all the Cons I list except for the washed out colors in Auto mode for very simple scenery shots. It is possible that my piece was defective but I can't recommend HX9V based on the experience I had.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›