4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV UN32H5500, May 16, 2014
This review is from: Samsung UN32H5500 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV (Electronics)
I got this TV, this week. I have a Verizon HD box from my Verizon TV provider. I plugged this TV in, set up was pretty much painless.

(((If you're using the Verizon HD box, you have to make sure you put the setting on 1080, just go in the settings on the Verizon box, through the "Menu" button on the remote and make sure that is on. Because 720p was selected. Not the settings on the TV, the TV will pick up the 1080 automatically, this is just for Verizon users on there Verizon HD box. If you don't have a Verizon Fios HD box for TV, ignore this. Although if you have cable box, I would check it also. The highest you can play on Verizon FIOS is 1080i)))

Anyway, the TV has stunning picture quality, really nice.

I don't use the apps too much and might have to comment more when I start to use them, but I used this with Youtube, and to get it to work, you log into Youtube on your computer and you type in the code that the TV gives you, you'll see the directions. After it syncs the 2, when you're on your computer watching youtube vids, there is a little button next to the button on Youtube vids where you can "Make it Full screen" to the right it says "Play on TV", you just hit that button and Youtube will play right on the Samsung.

There is also a Youtube app that works fine also. But sometimes I find it easier to search on the computer and then stream it right to the TV.

This TV has the quad core processor, which is suppose to give it a bit more speed loading stuff (apps,etc.). The 2 previous models before it the "Samsung UN32F5500" had a dual core processor (2013 model) and before that the Samsung UN32EH5300 (2012 model) had just a single processor.

If I use the apps more, I will come back to update.

To stream from your computer, you basically download the "Samsung Link" software to your computer or smart device, set which folders you want to share and they will play on the TV. When you log into the "Samsung link" software on the computer, if you have any problems, just look for the "Getting started" button on the software, because the manual doesn't have to much on specifics of a problem. It took me a few tries to get this to stream from my computer to my TV. You just have to make sure you read the "Getting started ?" link on the software.

I got it to stream an HD movie file from my computer to the TV, it played nice and looked great. Just like any other HD channel.

When streaming movies from your computer like (divx movie files, or Mpeg files)you are able to fast forward, here's how. When your movie is streaming look for the settings button, on the Samsung, then hit "select scene" then "Time bar" then you'll have the option to Fast forward or rewind while streaming video files off your computers hard drive to the Samsung. I didn't realize this.

I hooked my portable 320 GB hard drive through the Samsung's USB port, with all of my movies (divx, mpeg) on the drive. The TV recognized the drive in a second and I was able to play my movies right off the Hard Drive. There are 2 USB ports.

I would make sure the TV is off though when you pull out these thumb drives and portable hard drives. Because there is still power going to the drive and you don't want to just pull out the drive with power going to it, it can corrupt your data. Just an FYI.

I don't have a Netflix account, I already have so many channels on my cable, so I can't comment on that. But, I'm sure the quad processor helps with the loading of the apps. I know on the earlier models of this TV (2012) there was some complaints about slow loading times, but it seemed to load OK on this newer 2014 model.

I think that's all I have to share for now,

So my final thoughts are, I would recommend getting the Samsung 32 inch 1080p UN32H5500 TV.
I think it is priced fairly well. The picture quality is great, 2 USB hookups, loads an external drive no problem, streaming from my computer worked fine and looked good. I will probably give an update in the next few months to let you know how it is working.

1 month update:
The TV is still working fine. A friend of mine came over and we tried his Netflix account, it looks and works good. No problems.

I also tried the web browser, it works. Haven't used it extensively, but I went to a few sites and didn't have any problems.

Youtube works fine. The apps on these Smart TV's isn't as fast as your computer, but they seem to work decent.

I also tried my PS3 and set the TV to "Game mode" and it looks and plays good.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]