5.0 out of 5 stars It just works!, September 14, 2010
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 Combo (Personal Computers)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Perplexed. A keyboard and mouse combo designed for laptop, NOT the desktop. I did a double-take when I received this Logitech MK320 review unit and saw that Logitech's target market for this product is for the laptops/notebooks/netbooks. I recently purchased the ASUS U43JC-X1 14-Inch Bamboo Laptop (10 Hours of Battery Life), so was searching for a wireless mouse. I knew I would get a lot of use out of the mouse but questioned whether the keyboard would be of any use. After using it for a few weeks, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised!

Before getting to the review, I should note an error on Amazon's product page (that is correct in Logitech's documentation). The keyboard utilizes (2) AAA batteries while the mouse uses (1) AA battery. Logitech includes pre-installed alkaline batteries for both units.

SETUP:
Setting up the keyboard/mouse combo was a breeze. Taking the devices out of the box took more time! Running Win7, I just plugged in the receiver and the system instantly recognized both devices. Every time I start the computer and plug the receiver back in, there is absolutely no noticeable lag time for the keyboard/mouse to start working. This was certainly not the case with the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 Mac/Windows, where it took a few seconds before I could begin using it.

KEYBOARD:
The keyboard has all your standard keys with several extra shortcut keys. Shortcut keys include Window Toggle (allows you to toggle between open applications), E-mail, Home Page, Music/Media, Show/Hide Desktop, Music Shortcuts (Back, Play/Pause, Next), Volume (Mute, Increase/Decrease), Calculator, and an extra backspace above the number pad. There are also a few special function keys such as turning off the computer, locking the computer, and other functions that I have yet to figure out.

The keyboard is also advertised as spill-resistant, though I hope I won't need to test that feature.

MOUSE:
The mouse is about the size of most notebook mice. It has a left and right button with the scroll button that also doubles as the middle button when clicked. Though I am right handed, it feels comfortable enough using it with my left or right hand. The battery indicator light is situated just below the scroll wheel between the left/right buttons. The receiver snaps onto the bottom of the mouse just above the ON/OFF switch. I pack and unpack my laptop and mouse at least twice a day and the receiver has yet to come loose. The bottom of the mouse also has a battery cover release button.

The one thing lacking, more common with desktop mice than notebook, are page front/back buttons.

BATTERY LIFE:
I've only used the wireleess keyboard/mouse combo for about 3 weeks now so cannot attest to the advertised 15 months of keyboard battery life or the 5 months for the mouse. However, as I am a heavy user, it has worked very well thus far. There is a battery life indicator on the mouse, which has yet to turn on, and none for the keyboard. For the aforementioned Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 mouse, I would be on my second set of batteries by now.

HOW I USE IT:
As I noted above, I wasn't sure if I would get much use out of the keyboard. My new laptop has Intel's new Wireless Display (WiDi) technology and HDMI, so I have been using it to watch videos on my TV. While my laptop sits on my desk, I'm able to control it from my couch.

PROS:
- Excellent battery life
- Convenient shortcuts
- Receiver snaps into the bottom of the mouse
- Spill resistant keyboard
- Mouse battery cover is very secure. Not prone to pop off unless you press the battery cover release button
- Receiver snaps on securely to the bottom of the mouse

CONS:
- Included batteries aren't rechargeable
- No battery indicator on the keyboard
- Mouse does not have forward/back buttons

CONCLUSION:
Though this wireless keyboard/mouse combo is targeted for laptop users, it should serve desktop users just as well. At a relatively inexpensive price, this combo delivers excellent battery life, great performance and convenience, and good value. I would recommend this to anyone, even for those that are just looking for a mouse as the keyboard adds considerable convenience!

EDIT (9/19/10) - After about one month of daily usage, the mouse battery just died. Not bad I'd say, but far from the advertised 5 months. I'll try with some decent rechargeable batteries and report back!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2011 5:47:24 PM PST
try eveready lithium batteries. they last 5x and are 30% lighter. well worth the additional price

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2011 7:29:43 AM PST
captain says:
i wish there was a way off telling if the caps are on or off.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 3:04:24 AM PDT
BTJ says:
how is the keyboard wireless? Do you have to have blue tooth on , and will it work with a mac mini/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 11:06:58 AM PDT
Gadget Geek says:
Theres a USB receiver that will act as a receiver for both keyboard and mouse. Sorry, I don't have a Mac or Mac Mini. According to the product page comparison chart, Mac OS X is not supported/compatible.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 12:30:40 PM PDT
C. C. Jones says:
For these very slow-drain devices I wouldn't recommend rechargeable batteries. The batteries end up losing charge just from the inevitably short shelf-life of a rechargeable charge so that you're spending more effort keeping a set charged than to just throw away a standard alkaline every so often. Your mouse might be borderline justified for rechargeables but definitely not the keyboard. I've had this particular package for around 9 months now and I'm still on the original keyboard batteries but I think I've changed the mouse batteries once. What I do is turn off the mouse using the built-in power switch when I'm not using it. Technically it should be doing that on its own when not in use, but I don't completely trust it to not get knocked around on the table and start trying to read movement for a while before it turns off again. Maybe that's how I've gotten right around the 5 months from mine.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 2:58:51 PM PDT
D. Bradley says:
Great review, especially for a
newbie like me. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 2:30:20 PM PDT
cactus says:
hey! thanks a bunch for the detailed review. you really helped me out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 2:07:37 PM PST
J. Abelardo says:
I use eneloop rechargables for all my low-drain devices. I've had a remote keep it's charge after being lost for 2 years.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 12:57:30 PM PST
Maria Omana says:
Hi! i would love if you read this before i decide to buy it... i would love if you could tell me how big is the mouse.. cause my hands are really small and i'm looking for those really mini mouse... if you could measure it, i would be very grateful!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 6:18:15 PM PST
C. C. Jones says:
This is a rather small mouse. I don't know that it quite qualifies as a "mini mouse" in the same category as those tiny ones sold at Staple's for keeping in your laptop bag. It is the smallest mouse in my home, though (I don't have one of those from Staple's), pushing the limit on almost too small for my fairly large hands but still being quite usable. It is 3 3/4" long, 2 3/8" wide at the button end, and 2 1/8" wide at the palm end. The top protrudes a bit and tapers down toward the base, so it's actually narrower there where your thumb will be. I can see this mouse being comfortable for small hands provided you don't really NEED something quite as small as those really tiny laptop mice.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,861 customer reviews)
 (1,139)