2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe for elementary teachers?, November 15, 2005
This review is from: The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher (Paperback)
I was given this book by my school district three days before I started teaching 9th and 10th graders in an urban school. Most of what I found was not very useful to my particular situation. Wong seems to assume that new teachers are provided all the tools they need to get started, when in reality, many fledgling teachers (like me) didn't have a classroom and shoved around to a different room every period. When I saw the picture of the tidy desk with the plan book opened to the day's painstakingly complete lesson, with Wong's caption that this first-year teacher was "ready for the first day of school," I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I didn't even have enough copies of the ten-year-old literature textbooks for all my students, and I had to push three class sets of texts for my three preps on a cart all day.

If I would have tried the "give me five" method of getting my seventh-period general 10 English class to quiet down, they would have "given me one," if you get my meaning. Maybe that works with elementary school kids, but high school kids would laugh in that poor teacher's face.

In my opinion, if you want a really good book that helps you cope with real kids and real situations, get Louanne Johnson's _Two Parts Textbook, One Part Love_ instead!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2007 2:58:36 PM PST
My heart goes out to you with the huge difficulties you faced in "hauling" your class room from area to area. I am sure you were exhausted at times and felt devalued.
I do hope things got better for you and many of the ideas in this book have helped.

As hard as it was/is, I hope you developed a resiliency and methods taht have helped through the years.
How disgraceful to think many of our schools and classrooms are in such chaos.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 1:48:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 5, 2010 1:49:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 1:50:30 PM PDT
What kills me is that this "teacher" complains about the school and the administration and then seems to think Wong's book is somehow supposed to provide a fix for that? The book is not titled "How to prosper in a dsiaster area school with no funds, no administration support, and no tools."
You point you anger at the wrong place. Quit working at that school if they are so bad or do something to resolve the issue. You are complaining that you need a couple hundred for books? Then DO SOMETHING about it.. I've worked to collect thousands of dollars for scholarship and school funcing. Determine what you need for class, get a budget for it, then go get it. But don't blame a book for not providing you the fund for school supplies or the courage to step up and get the problem resolved. Your complaining serves no purpose to helping the issue. All you did was attack this work that is proving to be incredibly valueable to the huge majority that use it. You are not going to be successful. Your attitude shows it. You only look at the bad and the defeated. Why did you ever bother becomming a teacher at all? Did someone tell you it was easy?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2013 12:56:26 PM PDT
Do you work for Wong? She was giving her valid opinion. You tell her to, "Do something" about her inadequate school district? This is not her place! She used to book to help a problem, and it did not help. Her review was clear about that. You are blaming someone with good intentions on becoming a teacher? How dare you. All teachers get discouraged. Rather than fostering a unifying behavior, you scold because she doesn't like a book. I can't imagine what it must be like to be in your class.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (853 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01