4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, but has its drawbacks, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Olympus PEN E-P1 12.3 MP Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 17mm f/2.8 Lens and Viewfinder (Silver) (Electronics)
As a owner of a Canon DSLR, I feel both love and annoyance towards this camera. I bought this camera mostly for its portability, and it is good. I do love its small size (with the 17 mm lens), and I can bring it everywhere (which I will not do with my Canon). And I love its look too.

I also find the menu easy to use. The super control panel allows one to control nearly everything needed in taking a photo, and it is easy to access. There are also many interesting features not existent in my Canon.

It does have its drawbacks. You would not expect the image quality as decent as an APS-C or full-frame camera, and it is apparent, esp. in low-light shots. There are more serious ones:

1) Slow focusing. It is not at all comparable to a DSLR, but more like a point-and-shoot DC. The continuous AF is even worse. At least the Fujifilm and Nikon DCs I used before did not continuously refocus when the object did not move. For single AF, the lens will move even when the object is full in focus. There are reviews that the Panasonic micro four thirds are much better in this aspect.

2) Slow processing speed. While there are interesting features (like the art filters), they are slow and consumes a lot of battery power. It makes them less useful.

3) Bad SD video. While I like the HD video results, SD simply sucks. It is apparent the downscaling is done badly without proper anti-aliasing, and a lot of artefacts are visible. You simply should not shoot videos in SD.

UPDATE: After using it for half a year, I think I like this camera. I also tried a Panasonic telephoto lens, and can confirm that the number 1 issue, slow focusing, is only related to the lens. Both Olympus and Panasonic have some nice lenses that can work fast and silently on E-P1.

So I am changing my rating to four stars.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]