3.0 out of 5 stars Great product, biggest gripe incorrect amazon listing., October 8, 2012
This review is from: Casio Men's PRW-2500T-7CR Pro Trek Tough Solar Digital Sport Watch (Watch)
Firstly, my main reason for buying this 2500T is to replace my PAW1200T that I have owned and used everyday for the past 4 years. I broke the sensor cover on that and also ended up cracking the case. So, I wanted to replace it with similar/better featured casio. I try to be direct with review/feed back here and if it seems like a bit "meh" then sorry.
Anyway, FWIW, I will not try to restate all the features which have be listed. This is something to expect from a top of the line casio watch. Having said that, some important notes/improvements.
Pros:
1) Display is much nicer/crisper, with lots more information including full date on almost all the menus and sub menus
2) Crystal is nicely set so as to not accidentally damage it due to impact.
3) The plastic "winglets" at the bottom make the watch very comfortable to wear. Although this can be a con after these are worn out and can't find replacements.
4) The link between the band is solid titanium, unlike my old one which was stamped steel.
5) The back light is much brighter.
6) Much lighter feel to the watch which is def a plus in spite of a metal band.
7) Buttons are much more easier to find in the dark and operate.
8) Consistent layout from one model to another makes changes / upgrades easier.
9) Continuous solar charging.

Cons:
In correct amazon listing by casio:

Product Features
Material: (case) titanium, (band) titanium

1) My main gripe about this watch is that the case is not made of metal, just resin(it doesn't have to be titanium). It does seem to have a metal ring. I chose this model be cause amazon listed the case material as titanium so I am ranking it down a couple for bad info by casio. I found this out on other sites/forums where people mentioned it but it was too late for me to cancel the order, I had already re-sized the band. I am afraid I will end up breaking this as well like my old watch. Had I known this I would bought 5100YT-1JF.
2) The clasp buttons (used to release the clasp pin) feels cheap. My old watch was made of titanium which felt more durable. I don't know why Casio would compromise on a piece that takes regular wear.
3) The thermometer seems off out of the box by almost 10F(high) between my old and new watch even without wearing/touching any part of the watch. This needs re-calibration.
4) The dial piece moves too easily, a more of click would have been better to retain the position.

I wish casio made the PRX models for US market instead of import at your own risk not to mention a little cheaper, but I would gladly pay for quality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2012 7:52:16 AM PDT
Niki says:
I have a question that I am hoping you can answer. You seem to be the best review on this watch I can find and would like to see what you say before I buy it. I am going to be getting this for my boyfriend who is joining the military, so he needs the time to be able to be read in military time. Does this watch do that? And he is allergic to any other type band besides metal. So when you said resign, I got worried. Does it touch the skin at all? Thank you so much in advance for responding!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 8:03:54 AM PDT
Shyam says:
1) Yes the watch does military time, most casios can do that. Its pretty well documented in the manual on how to change it. I don't have the manual handy to give the reference page number at the moment. But its easy to change and my watch is in military time.
2) The band is titanium metal. Although, I can't comment on the quality of titanium, it has stamped "base titanium china" on the band.
3) As far as the case goes, the case material is resin with a stainless steel back, It has has a rubbery/plastic cover over the back which provide support and yes it does touch the skin. The link to the site below has some really good pictures of the top and bottom of the watch. This site's review was the most accurate I have found on the web and there is very good youtube video as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 7:33:20 PM PDT
Brendan says:
I just recieved mine and I also notice the temp is too high by about 10 degrees F. It's that way and not even on my wrist. Did you solve your watch reading high?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 5:36:48 AM PDT
Shyam says:
I reset and recalibrate every three months or so, its not very accurate for this price so I hage learned not to depend on it. I know thats sad.

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 2:50:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2013 2:52:52 PM PDT
WhoCares55 says:
I mean I guess its a good caveat to people who thought its 100% titanium but Ti is a bi to work with and I don't think I'd expect fully grade 6 titanium at this price (and differential over rubber not steel). I think its a resin coated metal base not like a Luminox where its all resin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 5:44:46 PM PDT
Eric says:
The reason the thermometer is off is because the watch is in contact with your body. You'll have to remove the watch, let it sit for a bit and then when you check the temperature, you'll see that it is more accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 7:42:15 PM PDT
Shyam says:
Actually, I am aware that body temp affects thermometer readings. I took my first reading without wearing the watch, still in the box. There are other reviewers who have identified the same issue as well. I have an older model casio with a similar build but reads the temp more accurately when off the wrist. So, I am forced to conclude that there is an issue with this watch. Thanks for your reply though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 7:51:02 PM PDT
Shyam says:
I don't know about resin coated metal base build. However, I do agree with you on Ti being tough to work with. There are cheaper watches that are made of Ti , case and band. I have the cheaper Invicta divers watch (< $100) and a swiss army Ti watch (~$150). My point during the review was that for buying things online, accurate listings are all important. Casio, can and should improve their build quality on their high end protrek line. Comparing this and the Citizen titanium AT skyhawk , the build quality is night and day. The citizen is built solid, even the band speaks of quality. The price difference is only $200 more for the citizen. However, the casio does offer more features though.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 4:01:33 PM PDT
Hi "Shyam", you seem to have gone through the watch pretty well. I recently purchased two Casio watches; a Pathfinder & a G-shock. I love the quality but have discovered that, once set, I can not hear the alarms. Casio tells me they had to adjust them down do to complaints. An alarm you can't hear is pretty reticules. Would you mind checking to see if you can hear the alarm on your watch and commenting on it. Thanks, Lance

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2013 3:12:28 AM PDT
MATT says:
I've had issues hearing it. When I first bought the watch, I tried using the alarm 2 or 3 times. Not to wake, just for reminders at work. Work can be a bit noisy, but it's not assembly line loud. I never heard the alarm go off.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›