5.0 out of 5 stars A great choice, December 11, 2009
This review is from: Toshiba Mini NB205-N325BL 10-Inch Netbook,1.6GHz Intel Atom N280 Processor,1GB DDR2 RAM, Drive,windows 7 starter, Blue (Personal Computers)
I looked at netbooks for about 2 months, comparing all of the various features. Then I went on the road to see them in person and put my hands on the keyboard. I ended up choosing the Toshiba NB205-N325 because it met all my criteria (Windows 7, upgradable RAM, great battery life, and overall quality construction) and because it has the best keyboard for my hands. The chicklet keys are great and the sub-sized keyboard only slows me down a little from a full-sized version.

After shopping all around I ended up buying it direct from Amazon. They had the best price on cyber monday of 329.99. Interestingly, the price is now back up to 380+ so I guess I got lucky with the timing.

I tossed the 2GB RAM upgrade into my shopping cart and the machine showed up at my door about 8 days later.

Start up was a breeze. It found my home network and network printer without a problem. I downloaded chrome as my browser with no problem, activated the Norton trial (still shopping for an antivirus program), and activated the free trial of Office (I actually have the software but haven't gotten around to activating my copy). I've plugged in several USB devices without issue including a wireless mouse and external hard drive. No problems. The 160 GB hard disk has plenty of space and unless you plan to make and store movie files you should never need more. After about an hour I shut back down and installed the 2GB RAM chip which is simple to do. You just remove one screw on a small cover on the back and the chip is right there. Pop the old one out and the new one in, then start back up. The user manual spells it out perfectly. I didn't run it long enough on the 1GB chip to give you a comparison on performance but with 2GB it seems as quick as my other laptops. I think this upgrade is a no-brainer if you plan to use your netbook for anything more than reading e-mail.

The only glitch I've had is with the display. About 2 hrs after I started it up the display suddenly went crazy, jerking all over. I was talking on a cordless phone at the time and assumed it somehow interfered with the display. It happened again one time two days later only I wasn't talking on the phone. Both times I got it to stop by putting it to sleep and then starting back up (which only takes a couple seconds). I don't know what to make of this but so far it hasn't repeated itself and at least I know how to stop it. If it happens again I'll call Toshiba.

My overall impression is that I love this little guy. It does everything I wanted it to do and is the ultimate in portability. I use it on and off all day, closing the lid when I'm done which puts it to sleep. It wakes up almost instantly, so this is a great way to extend the battery. The only time I plug it in is at night. I've never come close to running the battery down. The fit and finish of the machine are terrific.

Toshiba hit a home run with this model. It gets 5 stars from me.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]