5.0 out of 5 stars Best watch I've ever owned, November 9, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's GWM850-1CR Atomic Solar G Shock Watch (Watch)
I'm very picky when it comes to my electronics. I thought trying to find a watch that had all of the features I wanted would be easy, but I was wrong. It seemed no place had any way to select the features I was looking for, so I ended up searching every way I could find to narrow down the watch I wanted. Luckily early on it seemed the G-Shocks were the best for syncing to the radio signal from WWVB while including solar recharging with almost no need to change the battery. Plus, it's nice to have a "tough" watch so I don't have to worry about dropping it or hitting it on anything, which I have already done with no consequences.
Along with the atomic criteria, I also limited my search to all-digital watches that IMO, looked good enough to wear anywhere. Out of the watches that I was left with, there were a few things that set this G-Shock apart from the rest:
1) It has a 24 hour countdown timer. Out of the ones I looked at, there were only a few that had a countdown timer. Even worse, the other ones were only 1-60 minutes. This was the only one that included a 24 hour timer. The only downside is that you can't change the seconds, but with the timer I used in my old watch I never messed with the seconds anyway.
2) It shows the day and the date at the same time. The other watch I was considering was the Gulfman (it only had a 60 minute timer though). They took up a big part of the display showing which country's atomic signal it synced with, and because of that it either showed the day or the date. This watch has a small box to show if it synced so at the top it has enough room to show the day as well as the date. I didn't want to have to push a button to cycle back and forth between the two.

The only thing I wish it did was allow the alarm to be set for weekday only. Also, as others have mentioned, the buttons are a little hard to press, but I assume that's on purpose to avoid accidental button presses considering it's a "G-shock." Other than that, this watch has a stopwatch, auto illumination when you turn the watch to face you, multiple alarms (including a snooze and hourly), and power saving mode when you're not using it. It also shows you the date and time it last synced in case you notice it hasn't synced in a while. Plus, thanks to the WWVB signal it automatically adjusts for daylight saving time, which worked perfectly this November 1st.

Overall, this is the best watch I've ever owned. It's tough, has almost all of the features I wanted, and looks good and is not too bulky like some of the other G-Shocks I've seen.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]