5.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a console game. This is NOT your kids RPG., April 19, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition (Video Game)
I'm a 40 yr old gamer with about 22 years of gaming under his belt. I've been a D&D table top gamer for almost 18 years. This is the first time those two worlds have come together.
Witcher 2 is THE single best game I've ever played in my life. Period. It ruins every medieval themed game I own or did own. It absolutely defines RPG for computer gaming because it is SO close to a real table top RPG with a real life DM. And best of all- Witcher 2 has the best, most rewarding combat I've ever played. The finesse of Soul Calibur, the severity of Dark/Demon Souls and the beauty of a novel dreamed of in your head. The plot, the acting (voice and animation) the script, the animation and texture work... they're all without peer on consoles. IF you have the ability to play this on high settings on your PC- naturally go for it there. I don't. I don't know anyone who does as a matter of fact. So for me and those like me- this is the only and best way to experience the masterpiece of this genre.

A word to the wary: This is NOT a hack and slash game. This is NOT a casual, pick it up every month or so for a day or two. This game demands skill, tactics and dedication. And for that, you're rewarded with the most satisfying game style and combat mechanics I've ever experienced, and I've played them all.

This game is also- VERY MUCH SO- not for kids. Parents who foolishly buy this for their kids without paying attention to the M rating will have their hair fall out when they see the realistic world of the Witcher.

I could go on and on about the amazing graphics and art direction, but save your time by visiting the official website or any game review page. The game is brilliantly executed and illustrated. I will say that if you can't install the game onto your drive (13.5 gigs) then be prepared for loading. Once you do have it in the HD though, those loads are often less than 2 seconds each. In other words- MAKE ROOM, you won't regret it. I'm only half way through the game- maybe- and I can't stress enough how this is without a doubt, my game of this generation. I can't wait to see how I feel when I'm done for the first time.

For those looking for the ultimate Western RPG- look no farther. You've undoubtedly purchased an Xbox for it's dedication and noted Western RPG reputation and this is the highest form I've seen of that style yet. If you're more into Japanese RPG's (the majority of what the PS3 is known for attracting), this will likely be of NO interest to you as it is a VERY mature plot and cast of characters. No kids looking to discover "love, friendship and true courage". Nor are there any cute talking animals or flying ships. I don't mean to offend anyone- just giving a warning for the system/player types that have created the stereotypes out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 19, 2012 7:28:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 7:59:57 PM PDT
C. R. GILES says:
don't know if you played the first game albeit on the pc...you should do yourself a favor and play it as well...it is awesome, just like this one.

by the way, the witcher book is very good too...gives some background that the games don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 9:05:19 PM PDT
J. Niew says:
lol i love the description of Japanese RPG's! Great review!

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 7:28:14 PM PDT
K. Gibson says:
I hate when people stereotype games as if everyone only plays a certain type of game. It's annoying. Good review though.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 1:48:04 AM PDT
JesC says:
from the beginning, i knew this game would be good, but i wasn't sure if i wanted to buy the game at the current price. then i read your review, and because of what you wrote, i bought it right away.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 1:34:01 PM PDT
karen says:
LOL. "cute talking animals or flying ships" I actually lol'ed. & the part where "parents foolishly buy for kids" - ha ha ha, so true! I'm a casual gamer that likes everything from D&D 3.5 to Skyrim to Zelda to Harvest Moon. I played The Witcher last night & wow. It's amazing - you're right. It really is a one of a kind that brings in everything you mentioned above! I've never been more challenged and emerged by just playing the beginning! Can't wait to play more!! (=

Oh & good review - wish there were more true and honorable ones like this. Good job!!

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:52:12 PM PDT
roboticsun says:

Posted on May 2, 2012 10:01:36 AM PDT
semore butts says:
I would like to note that you can also install 1 disk at a time if you have less space, as currently I only have the 1st one installed. Once I have to switch disks I will just play from disk 2 until Im done and then delete disk one and install #2.

You could just play off the disks, but even with little space I like to install the disk im currently using to make it load faster. With it installed it loads pretty quick.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:28:33 PM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
Yes, I have played Witcher on PC (on Mid settings, sadly) and I've read the two books that were translated. I've read "The Last Wish" seven times in fact- it's just awesome! "The Blood Of Elves" was a bit slow for me though. I only got through that one twice. Thanks for the recommendations though. Anyone who reads your post and my response should follow the example!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:30:31 PM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
That's flattering! I hope you're loving it like I am. I just can't believe what a masterpiece this game is. It's literally ruined any other RPG I own/owned. That makes me sad on one hand and completely awed on the other. What on earth could they do to top this game? I'm stunned at the mere thought of it...

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:33:39 PM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
I'm used to be a VERY heavy D&D gamer (2nd Ed through 4th Ed) but I've never played a video game that evoked this sort of kindred spirit with that other hobby. And I love Skyrim! But it's just not cut from the same cloth as Witcher 1 or 2. And 2 is SO MUCH BETTER than 1! You rarely see this level of jump from one game to the sequel. And as far as getting better the more you play... WOW!!! You will NOT be disappointed at ALL. It's crazy how great this game just keeps getting! It's crazy! :-D
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›