5.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a console game. This is NOT your kids RPG., April 19, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings Enhanced Edition (Video Game)
I'm a 40 yr old gamer with about 22 years of gaming under his belt. I've been a D&D table top gamer for almost 18 years. This is the first time those two worlds have come together.
Witcher 2 is THE single best game I've ever played in my life. Period. It ruins every medieval themed game I own or did own. It absolutely defines RPG for computer gaming because it is SO close to a real table top RPG with a real life DM. And best of all- Witcher 2 has the best, most rewarding combat I've ever played. The finesse of Soul Calibur, the severity of Dark/Demon Souls and the beauty of a novel dreamed of in your head. The plot, the acting (voice and animation) the script, the animation and texture work... they're all without peer on consoles. IF you have the ability to play this on high settings on your PC- naturally go for it there. I don't. I don't know anyone who does as a matter of fact. So for me and those like me- this is the only and best way to experience the masterpiece of this genre.

A word to the wary: This is NOT a hack and slash game. This is NOT a casual, pick it up every month or so for a day or two. This game demands skill, tactics and dedication. And for that, you're rewarded with the most satisfying game style and combat mechanics I've ever experienced, and I've played them all.

This game is also- VERY MUCH SO- not for kids. Parents who foolishly buy this for their kids without paying attention to the M rating will have their hair fall out when they see the realistic world of the Witcher.

I could go on and on about the amazing graphics and art direction, but save your time by visiting the official website or any game review page. The game is brilliantly executed and illustrated. I will say that if you can't install the game onto your drive (13.5 gigs) then be prepared for loading. Once you do have it in the HD though, those loads are often less than 2 seconds each. In other words- MAKE ROOM, you won't regret it. I'm only half way through the game- maybe- and I can't stress enough how this is without a doubt, my game of this generation. I can't wait to see how I feel when I'm done for the first time.

For those looking for the ultimate Western RPG- look no farther. You've undoubtedly purchased an Xbox for it's dedication and noted Western RPG reputation and this is the highest form I've seen of that style yet. If you're more into Japanese RPG's (the majority of what the PS3 is known for attracting), this will likely be of NO interest to you as it is a VERY mature plot and cast of characters. No kids looking to discover "love, friendship and true courage". Nor are there any cute talking animals or flying ships. I don't mean to offend anyone- just giving a warning for the system/player types that have created the stereotypes out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:35:36 PM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
Great tip! I didn't know that! I have a friend that's not getting it because he doesn't have the HD space. Honestly, I just got to Act 3 tonight and it had me insert disk 2 for the first time. I thought it was going to be like Mass Effect or Lost Odysee or the other multi-disk games where you were swapping more often so I installed both at the same time and then passed on the news of 13.5 gigs to my friend(s). That is good to hear though. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:40:56 PM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
I hope I didn't offend you, or anyone else K. Gibson. I am a very experienced RPG gamer on consoles and sadly, so many of them follow the same trend. That is to say- they're cliche' and so much more often than not- stereotypical of the genre. I have played more than a shelf full of JRPG's and the plot is SO OFTEN the same exact nature- with the same characters (different names- identical roles) and same conclusions/ lessons. And don't get me wrong- as much as I kid about the JRPG's that set you out to find love and friendship and talking pets- Western RPG's fall into a shockingly similar cliche' trap, just different cliche's. That's the reason I so whole heartedly recommend Witcher 2.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 8:16:49 AM PDT
Marco Bellic says:
Guys, I saw Dark Souls mentioned and need to know how this game compares. I beat Dark Souls twice and looking for another deep, great RPG (with a level-up and weapon upgrade system) for the 360. Can someone give some feedback on the similarities between the two games? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:24:52 AM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
I've played many hours of Dark Souls and even though I didn't beat it- I think I can elaborate more on mentioning the two games together.

Dark Souls- speaking strictly on Combat because that's the most interesting and immediate thing to compare them on is similar. Where Dark Souls has many different classes, Witcher has 3 skill trees. You can mix the skills from those 3 trees, but specializing has it's bonuses. You are THE WITCHER so you're not going to make some custom character that shoots bows. That's one of the biggest differences I won't go into- This game has a very brilliant story and you're the main character that's been defined in books and in the other game- so that's a big deal in the idea of classes.
As for the combat itself- Witcher is about a thousand times more smooth and silky. I'm speaking of animation and flow. Dark Souls is very stiff. You won't see that in Witcher 2. Think of it like Batman AA meets Dark Souls in that way. It's fast and furious but much like Dark Souls- it's CRAZY SEVERE. Playing on Dark Mode is a challenge you'll likely love after playing Dark Souls.
The other part of the game that's similar is the exploration. Where Dark Souls is a huge single world, Witcher is divided into chapters and levels (4 to be exact) but there are MANY nooks and alcoves that aren't listed in any adventure or campaign path- you just stumble on them and they have unique monsters and rewards. Again- going back to the story- this game narrates brilliantly and the story will keep you playing when the combat only wants to bust your b&@#s. I grew tired of Dark Souls because it was so dark and dank and the story was just horrible. As was the dialogue and voice work. This game is both horrid and beautiful at it's own times. But unlike Dark Souls, this game is beautiful in pushing the Xbox with just gorgeous graphics and art design that is unrivaled on Xbox or PS3. You'll take in the sites of each of the 4 levels.
Hope that helped. I could make other comparisons, but they'd be cosmetic or menu related. That's unimportant stuff likely. The biggest issue is that this is a real RPG. Not a game with a story. This is about combat AND choices, not combat and exploration.
In the end- obviously I'd chose Witcher 2 a thousand times over Dark Souls. It's not even a question I'd have to think about.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 1:12:00 PM PDT
Marco Bellic says:
Thanks, Chad. In Withcer are you allowed to go back to a chapter you already passed and either a) pick up items you may have missed or b) take down some monsters to level up your character? I'm assumign the game has XP that you get for every enemy taken down? Does the game have any replay value? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:01:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 11:01:39 PM PDT
Chad E. Munn says:
As Witcher 2 is story driven (being an RPG) it's not "open world" in the way of free roaming back and forth through levels. As you play the game, you'll be with Geralt as he travels pretty sizable distances from Chapter 1 to 2 to 3. Him "going back" for a monster hunting romp would be very "out of line" with the story. And by that I mean going back to Chapter 1 areas while in Chapter 2. You can run around each chapter's very large area as long and in any order as you like- it's non-linear. Hunt the surrounding areas over and over if that's what you like to do. As far as actual monster hunting- you can and WILL do that for certain parts of the game, but your true BIG experience points come from solving plots points and missions. You could push through and just do the main story but... I think you'd have an extremely tough time playing the later missions. That being said- you'll make more levels by doing side missions than running around trying to slay a few monsters in the woods. This goes more into the "story driven" nature of the game. Geralt IS a monster hunter, this is what he's been doing sense he was a small child... him getting tons of XP for killing a lowly Nekker would be like YOU getting tons of XP for showing up to class one day. It's just not that exceptional of a deed for him.
As for replay- I'm on my third replay if that answers your question a little. To go more into it- imagine Mass Effect with more critical effects from the choices DURING the same game. I've done a few things different in dialogue trees and found VERY different paths tossed at me. New ally's, new enemies, new quests. And the game has 16 different endings so... you'd play a LOT. And the highest difficulty setting, DARK, has unique items, quests, armor and weapons. I'll be taking that challenge on later... Much later.

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 10:33:51 PM PDT
Blitz says:
This game is a generic WRPG. It does nothing new. I have no clue what Chad is saying about D&D because this game is NOTHING like a table top RPG. Not even close.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (229 customer reviews)

$32.92