Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti Amazon Cash Back Offer  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars I love this camera, except...., September 30, 2009
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix S70 12.1MP Digital Camera with 3.5-inch OLED Touch Screen and 5x Wide Angle Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Zoom (Red) (Electronics)
I love everything about this camera, except.... it takes a terrible picture.

The good:
The form factor is great
I like the way you slide the cover to open the lens and turn the camera on. Makes turning on fast and easy.
The touch screen is great. Very easy to change settings. Screen is responsive. You can touch where you want to focus, which is really cool.
The ability to shoot in 16:9 ratio is nice, but you're limited to 8MP in that mode.

The Bad
This camera just wouldn't take a good picture. Outside in daylight I could get a pretty good photo, but anything indoors was poor at best. Even indoors during the day when there's decent light. After taking my first set of shots I assumed I must be doing something wrong, so I read the manual, tried all the different "scenes", I tried adjusting ISO, resolution, etc.

Granted, I'm a fairly novice user, so perhaps a more experienced pro could get a better picture out of this camera. I finally pulled out my old Canon SD200 3.2MP camera that I was looking to replace. I took many photos side by side. I never took the Canon off "auto" mode and I tweaked the Nikon a million ways. Virtually every time the Canon was sharper, and more color accurate.

So, I thouht maybe I got a bad camera. I went to Best Buy and tried their display model. You could see on the camera screen that the images just weren't that great. Maybe if I didn't have a side by side comparison it wouldn't have been so noticable, but I really expected this Nikon to be better than my very old Canon.

If anyone believes it's the operator and not the camera I'm more than open to advice, because I loved everything else about this camera. I did return it, but would buy it again if I found out it was just operator error, however, I really don't think it was my error.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2009 10:46:38 AM PST
I just read the above review and that change my mind in purchasing the S70..Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 4:13:55 PM PST
I. LARKIN says:
I say it is the camera operator, since I just got a S70 yesterday, and all of my pictures are turning out very good, and if you want more detail in a image then you need to go to the higher mega pixel, because I'm made a mistake once that was with my old Nikon Coolpix 880 which was a 3.4 mega pixel camera, since my mom was taking picture of her kids and then we uploaded the pictures then tried to increase them in size, but the pictures did not come out that good since the camera was only a 3.4 mega pixel camera, but now I have a 12 mega pixel camera, and my mom owns a 10 mega pixel camera the S600

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 11:21:13 PM PST
It could be operator error, but I did use every mode possible and I used every Megapixel setting possible. Also, I think if I didn't have another camera to compare the photos to I may have like the S70 photos better. But if you go buy the Canon S90 tomorrow and take the exact same shots with both cameras you'll be shocked at the difference and suddenly the S70 pics won't seem so great. If you do try that, I'd love to hear your results.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 2:37:13 PM PST
I. LARKIN says:
The other day I did a test and I used all of the digital cameras that I have at my house and the cameras that I have at my house are
Coolpix 880 3.4 mega pixel,
Coolpix S600 (my Moms Camera) 10.1 Mega pixel,
Coolpix S70 12.1 mega pixel

And I put them all on the same scence mode at the highest megapixel setting, and all of my photos turned out great

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 2:57:50 PM PST
Christian P. says:
One thing you need to be VERY aware of is that when viewing the pictures from the LCD screen on the back, the higher the resolution the less sharp it will look. The reason for this is the image will have to shrink from the 12MP to fit on the tiny screen.

I'd suggest uploading the pictures to your computer or printing them out on large paper to see the actual quality. I purchased the Coolpix S70 a couple weeks ago because I like to go to alot of musical performances where it's very dark and they have odd lighting. I've never once been disappointed with the pictures it's taken, they are superb and crisp and since they are so large it's easy to crop out exactly what I want from the picture and still have it be extremely high quality.

One thing that I really hated is I've been to shows with fog machines and it's impossible to take pictures through even a small amount of fog when you're in a dimlit room, but that's 95% of cameras on the market anyway.

Hope this was helpfull!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 7:03:57 AM PST
I. LARKIN says:
I do agree with you the pictures on he LCD screen might not look good, and that is what I do I kind of take a look at the picture on the screen, then I upload them to computer

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 3:19:08 PM PST
Rae K. says:
I had an identical experience with this camera. Loved everything about the camera except for the picture quality. At first I thought that perhaps it was simply how the pictures appeared on the LCD screen so I uploaded the pics to our computer to see if they looked any better there. Unfortunately, the images were absolutely terrible.

We used the factory default settings and then tried making some adjustments- no improvement. One of our family members has the Nikon S60 which they have enjoyed for about a year. We compared pictures last night at a holiday function - their pictures were fine. They also tried to tweak the settings on our camera to no avail.

I ended up returning our camera to Best Buy earlier today. The customer service associate suspected that something was defective with my camera. If they would have had another one in stock, I would have tried a replacement. At this point after reading similar reviews, I think I may research other cameras instead.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 3:26:30 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2009 3:21:14 PM PST]

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 9:21:44 AM PDT
B.Wronski says:
I always had big brand names cameras, I figure it would make my life easier, no complications. Bought and returned this camera and then a friend shows me her new, humble 12 mp, wide angle lens, in camera stitch panorama touch screen camera and was blown by the quality. It is a GE (yes, who heard of it), E1250 TW. I have put in auto, canceled the flash, an every single picture came out great. Excellent HD video too. On top of that, the price is great, compared to other big names.

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 9:28:34 AM PST
I've had no luck with this camera either. I think it just had very good advertising.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›