Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Collection, February 4, 2011
This review is from: NFL Top 100: Nfl's Greatest Players (DVD)
First of all, this is a terrific four-disc collection that no NFL fan should be without. The 100 greatest players are counted down, in order, with excellent film footage and commentary from a number of players, coaches, sports journalists, historians and "celebrity" fans like Dennis Miller and Burt Reynolds.

As an older fan--I'm over 60--I particularly enjoyed seeing the greats of my youth like Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, Joe Greene and Johnny Unitas "in action" again. No--I'm afraid that players like Jim Thorpe, Red Grange and Slingin' Sammy Baugh were even before my time--but their inclusion tells you that this list covers the entire history of the game, as it should.

I was also impressed with the fine booklet included in the package--a beautiful bonus for fans.

Of course the list inevitably creates debate amongst football fans--a player should be higher--or lower--the great players who are missing etc. In fact as I watched the list, I had a number of questions myself. For example, I would have placed Kellen Winslow and Alan Page much higher.

There are a number of current players on the list--Ed Reed, Randy Moss, Ladainian Tomlinson, Tom Brady, Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzalez and Peyton Manning. I don't dispute their greatness--I'm sure they will all be in the "Hall" someday. However, should they be included on this particular list if they are still playing ? If so, what about Troy Polamalu, Drew Brees, Charles Woodson and Brian Urlacher, to name a few other fabulous players who are still out there "doing their thing" ?

Finally I will throw out a few more names that did not make the "Top 100". So some fans like myself will wonder about :--Jim Taylor--Paul Hornung--Lynn Swann--Franco Harris--Ken Stabler--Eddie George--Drew Pearson--Russ Francis--Dave Casper--Mike Curtis--Frank Gifford--Len Dawson--Larry Wilson--Steve Largent--Jim Kelly--Jerome Bettis--Carl Eller--Isaac Bruce--Billy Sims--Tim Brown--Cortez Kennedy. The longer I sit here, the more names I will think of, but I have made my point. I am sure that any self-respecting fan could add to my list.

There is another question--different players have different roles on a football team. How can we really say who was the greatest between Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice ? Their positions were so different, although each was capable of changing a game--and often did !

Bottom line--despite my comments, this is a terrific collection that provides hours of memories for football fans, and a ton of "debate material" the next time you get together with your buddies for beer and hot wings ! Enjoy !

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2011 9:39:43 AM PST
Farjad CK says:
Totally agree, specially on Isaac Bruce not being mentioned on the top 100. He was a quiet guy and not a diva like many X receivers in today's game like T.O., Ochocinco, Randy Moss and those guys. And that's, I think, why many people don't think about him that often even though he had the second most yards for a WR before the 2010 season. Sad sad sad. Greetings.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2011 7:26:19 AM PDT
Good comment--and speaking of great receivers--what about Cris Carter ? He is now an excellent football analyst, but this guy was one of the best and had terrific "numbers."
Cheers, Peter

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 3:27:29 PM PDT
Thanks for the well-written heads-up on a DVD I wasn't aware-of and am now compelled to obtain! My own No. 1 pick, Joe Montana was just here in Winnipeg, to meet with fans at a fund-raiser. I was hooked at your "bottom line" that,

" . . . this is a terrific collection that provides hours of memories for football fans, and a ton of "debate material" the next time you get together with your buddies for beer and hot wings. Enjoy!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 9:38:13 AM PDT
Thanks for the compliment Mark. It's not football, but I am delighted to see the NHL back in Winnipeg ! It never should have left !
Cheers, Peter

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:46:01 AM PST
C. Guiler says:
Great review, peter. I'm in my 60s, too, and remember most of the names you mentioned. Certainly brings back memories. Think I will have to buy this one!

Chryss in Colorado