5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life., August 14, 2011
This review is from: The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are (Paperback)
I've been through 6 therapists, I've struggled with depression for nearly twenty years, never could finish anything I started, and everyone always assumed I had ADHD. Not until therapist number five did someone point out to me that ADHD is often mistaken for anxiety and he was sure that was my problem. Boy was he right. Sadly, he was terrible at treating, so I found a new therapist who encouraged me to embrace the bad days and bad times and she pointed me to Brene Brown's TED talk on vulnerability. It really spoke to me, so I thought it would be a good idea to read her book. I just looked at the screen for a full minute trying to figure out how to put into words how much this book has helped me and I just can't find them. All those years I thought I had ADHD, I was just afraid of what people would think. I would pick up a new hobby hoping it would be the one that I could stick with and foster, only to give up on it. Never was the problem an attention deficiency, it was a courage deficiency. The author talks a lot about how making a major change in your life isn't something you wake up and do one day, it's something you practice every single day. And most will struggle with it, but without the struggle, we lose out on so much. I will have far fewer regrets on my deathbed having read this book. If you read these Ms. Brown, THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2012 7:07:28 AM PST
Wholehearted says:
This is me! I have always thought I had ADHD as well but after reading her book and implementing the don't give a flip what other people think about what I am engaging in mentality I have truly overcome my anxiety and haven't had an attention problem! Thanks for posting!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 6:46:30 PM PDT
LBdotSee says:
A little overdue with the reply, but I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this one! How awesome is life with a little courage, compassion, and connection?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 8:19:35 AM PDT
Wow! I'm glad that your finally happy in life! Amazing what a book can do!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2013 4:40:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2013 4:41:56 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2013 6:51:13 AM PST
I could have almost written your post myself. My anxiety and social phobias nearly ruined my life until I discovered my courage muscles...growing stronger every single day that I confront my fears and "get out there!" Thank you for posting your honest (vulnerable) account and review. Blessings to You!

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 5:41:58 AM PST
Courage Deficiency, you named it right there! I'm happy this helped you so much, the TED talk is what inspired me to purchase this myself. Fingers crossed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 5:53:21 PM PST
LBdotSee says:
Overdue reply again! I had no idea how popular this review had gotten! So ironic, the author spoke in her second TED talk about how she figured no one would see her first TED talk, so she just put it all out there. Kind of exactly what I did with this review! Makes me a little uneasy knowing how many people have read it, but it appears lots of folks can relate! No regrets here!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 5:56:40 PM PST
LBdotSee says:
Haha, I just recently realized how popular my review had become! Kind of made me uneasy for a bit, but so glad to realize I'm not alone!! Walking the wholehearted walk definitely requires constant attention to the plight, but life is still so much better! So glad to hear it is for you as well!! I joke about starting a Church of Brene Brown but sometimes I'm half-serious, lol...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2014 6:01:53 PM PST
LBdotSee says:
What do you think so far?? Can't wait to hear!

Posted on May 20, 2014 4:16:06 PM PDT
Tanya says:
My dearest friend and sister just referred this to me today after a long overdue raw and open conversation about the mess going on in my head, and your post nailed it with the words "courage deficiency", that explains a lot. And I never thought my "issues" had a diagnosis, but anxiety may explain more than I'm willing to admit... I'm excited and almost nervous to read this book. I hope to have a life changing revelation like the testimonies I'm reading. I'm tired of living this way. Thanks for sharing!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›