44 of 44 people found the following review helpful
Absolutely fantastic camera!,
This review is from: Sony Alpha NEX NEX5K/S Digital Camera with Interchangeable Lens (Silver) (Electronics)
I have had this camera now for 3 weeks and its really wonderful overall.
- Very compact and light - not quite the size of a compact camera but pretty close. With the 16mm lens you can easily slip it into a jacket pocket or carry it in a small case. But it feels very substantial and has great ergonomics. Carrying around a DSLR is such a pain when I am hiking or walking around a city but this is a piece of cake. It also hangs from your neck with the lens pointed down so you don't bump into things with it.
- Articulating screen lets you shoot from the hip (literally). Screen is also super high resolution and what you see on the screen is pretty much what you get with the picture which is amazing for a non SLR camera.
- Fantastic pictures - great colors, excellent quality, 14m pixels really produces clear pictures. Great depth of field. The same sensor as found in a much larger DSLR. Rarely need to use the flash because the sensor is so good.
- RAW support as well as JPEG
- 1080 videos are beautiful and sounds quality is very good
- All of the controls are just a few clicks away on the interface to change the ISO, aperture, etc.
- Some really neat features such as HDR (takes 3 pictures with varying settings automatically to develop pictures with more contrast and shadows), automatically takes a picture when someone smiles (really!), panoramic pictures with ease (although takes some practice)
- Battery life is lousy. I may have a bad battery and I called Sony and they are sending me a new one for free.
- RAW files currently cant be viewed by iPhoto, Photoshop, etc. but you can view them using Sony's software. This should change in the near future.
- Limited lens selection right now - again this should change
- Most of the software that comes with the camera is PC-only (including firmware updates!) and not available for the Mac (but the key programs that do come with it are mac compatible)
All in all, I am very glad I made this purchase. I wanted a new DSLR but was tired of carrying around such a heavy piece of equipment. This is probably a great second camera for professional photographers but for everyone else its just a really great camera. Its ideal for people that want better quality than they can get from a compact but don't want all of the downsides of a DSLR.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2010 8:06:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2010 8:06:28 PM PDT
T. Lin says:
If you have Apple Aperture 2 or Aperture 3 and install the latest "PRO-UPDATE" which allow you to decode SONY NEX3/5 RAW files even in iPhoto. Just download and "demo" version of Aperture 3 just for a trial (it's free) then install the update and you can view the RAW file of NEX3/5 on iPhoto
‹ Previous 1 Next ›