3.0 out of 5 stars very basic unit, okay for around town, June 2, 2009
I need to qualify this review by stating up front that this is my first GPS, and I bought this lower end basic model knowing it would not have all the features I'd love to have. My thoughts were that I could use this as a test unit to see what features I do like, which I am fine living without, and what I need to upgrade to on my next model.

Things I love about this item:

- It is super lightweight and easy to stick in my purse when I get out of the car, though not quite lightweight enough to be comfortable using as a handheld device.

- The TomTom supplied voices are very clear, the directions easy to follow, usually with plenty of advance warning for turns. (I noticed some community voices are too low in volume, and for some reason don't supply all the navigational direction that the official voices provide.)

- I was happily surprised to find there is some lane assistance, as well - very helpful when navigating freeway interchanges.

- The price!

- The ability to add community and personal POIs, and have the unit seek only the ones I want to search for at the moment. (for this reason alone, I may eventually gift this unit to a friend who is always in search of the nearest Starbucks!)

- The ability to store several "favorite" addresses for quick and easy navigation.

- The display is clear and easy to see except on the very brightest of days when the sun hits just so.

- The problem with the expired map update for beginning users was solved pretty quickly, though through a somewhat convoluted method. I was told that after my first call to customer service I would need to email with my concerns and the required paperwork (I had to email three times so I could get all the required documentation to them) then call c.s. again so that someone would actually look at and answer my email. In reality, someone did answer my emails immediately, but the emails did not provide the help I needed, so a call to c.s. was indeed necessary. During the second call, everything was fixed for me. This probably took less than 15 minutes altogether.

- When I ignore the directions given (because they are wrong, not my preferred route, or I've changed my mind about where I'm going) the TomTom quickly recalculates a new route to my destination - hardly skips a beat!

Things I can't stand about this unit:

- The user interface is very clunky (I've got friends with iPhones, and to see this side by side with an iPhone puts the little TomTom to shame). Menus go deep, and it's probably very dangerous to try to navigate them while driving, and sometimes you need to be able to make a change without leaving the road.

- Updating maps online wipes out all of your personalizations and community corrections.

- Corrections to a route should be saved in at least your own GPS unit, but all making a correction does is to send it to a database somewhere which will be used to compile for making corrections to later versions of the TomTom map. So, even though the road I live on has been paved for three years, every single time I want to navigate somewhere from my house, I have to approve the unit to route me down unpaved roads, and even though one road near my boyfriend's house has been blocked to through traffic for over six years, TomTom always wants me to travel down that road. I wish it would remember that at certain places I ALWAYS go a different way than it suggests, and make that correction permanent. If there is a way, I sure would love to know!

- I have yet to figure out a way to set up a multi-destination route. This will truly suck in a couple of weeks when I start driving across country. I would like to be able to plan my entire route before I leave and set waypoints along the way, but as far as I can tell (and I hope I'm wrong and will find out how to do this soon) I can only plan a route with one destination. For that, Google maps performs much better.

All in all, it's a decent unit, especially for the price, to help someone get around town. Because I want something that will let me plan a complicated route and want a more user friendly interface, I'll upgrade to a higher end GPS once I have more money to burn.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]