Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars This WiFi Blu ray Player ROCKS!! Its the best of its class!, March 29, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player (Electronics)
Before I purchased this Panasonic DMP-BDT220 WiFi Blu-Ray DVD Player, I had researched virtually every player available on the market. There's a lot to pick from, but I wanted to find the player that had the best all-around features, and a great price that would fit my budget. And after looking at a dozen or so different players, I concluded that this Panasonic player was the best pick in its price range. Other players, have various other options, a varied amount of output connections, and may specify on-board memory configurations, etc. While this player does not specify the memory amount, it appears to be sufficient enough to load streaming media (such as Netflix, Amazon Video or Hulu Plus and play it back without any hesitation or pauses.

After receiving the player, I hooked it up, and it worked perfectly right from the start. Found my WiFi network without any problems. I entered the security password information and it was connected to my WiFi network and my Internet connection in seconds. Even configured itself with connecting to my other devices and PCs on my network also without any problems. I did not have to enter any network address configurations or anything except for the router/network access password. I was able to instantly see the pictures and videos on my shared PCs on my home network.

I use this for my Netflix streaming and it works great with no problems at all. And there is no lag time between the apps selection under the Internet portion of the player, but that might be because I'm using this on a fairly high-speed 10/2 broadband connection.

I've also used several of the other Internet apps on the player, and they all worked great as well.

The Pros of this player is that it worked perfectly right out of the box, and it was a snap to setup, connect to the Internet through my WiFi network, and very easy to tell it to automatically download and update the firmware. This can also be done by downloading the firmware file from a computer and putting it on a CD-ROM or a flash drive, and then inserting that into the player, and the player will then see it, and automatically update the firmware.

The only Cons of this player, if one at all, would be that it lacks a second HDMI or Component HD connection on the back of the player, but for me, that wasn't a problem, as I connected this player, using the HDMI connection, directly to my HDTV. It does offer also an optical digital audio out connection, which I have connected to my Sony 7.1 Home Theater System, and it works perfectly. Blu-Ray movies look and sound GREAT!!

ALL IN ALL, I think this is a terrific WiFi Player from Panasonic and I think anyone would be very satisfied with this player. I know I am. And doing a lot of research before I purchased this did help in picking a very good player. I think it's the best WiFi Blu-Ray player in its price category.

One last suggestion though, is to purchase a color calibration DVD, which is available on Amazon, to calibrate or re-calibrate your TV using the Blu-ray Player. This will assure you that your television is set correctly, for not only color, but also for hue, brightness and contrast as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2012 11:58:14 AM PDT
Mark Victor says:
I'm not sure what you mean by a Component HD connection. I googled the manual and saw that there is a traditional ""Video Component Out" as well as HDMI out, and its true that the manual says that the HDMI connection supports "HD audio" whereas the Video Component out is only "standard" audio. On the other hand I've never heard of "Component HD."
In my case I'm happy that it has Component Video/ RCA audio out so that I can use it with my Sennheiser wireless headphones, which unfortunately don't have an optical input. But I would be interested in hearing of any players with the best audio quality; in fact I'm waiting to see the price and reviews for the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 when it comes out (which I hear is in May).
At any rate this player does seem like a good one, and a good value.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 1:36:20 PM PDT
BITTRON2 says:
Component HD simply means that it can output a 720p or 1080i video signal (no audio.) For the audio, you would have to use an optical cable to a Dolby receiver, or simply use the stereo red/white audio out then for stereo audio, which is great for headphones.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:55:46 PM PDT
ANDREW H. says:
You can not get 7.1 from "optical out"...... if you want true uncompressed "HDmaster audio", you HAVE TO use an HDMI cable directly to your receiver. No getting around it. Tv's usually "down mix" the audio to 2.0

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 1:54:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 1:55:06 PM PDT
BITTRON2 says:
Using an optical out cable to a Dolby Digital 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1, HD Home Theater Receiver, will carry the 5.1, and 6.1 Dolby Digital encoding including DTS. Few recordings and Blu-Ray disks today, if any, use 7.1 encoding, but that will obviously be changing in the very near future.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 12:00:50 AM PDT
Can it work with my LG Cinema Screen 55LM8600 tv ? for 3d movies ?

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 11:22:25 PM PDT
Michael says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 3:59:10 AM PDT
Dan Schwarcz says:
Did you try setting the Netflix output quality at the Netflix site the way someone here recommended?

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:39:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 11:40:30 AM PDT
Todd says:
The wireless feature of this Blu-ray player is horrible. If yours works, you are one of the very few lucky ones. If you go to Panasonic's website, they have 23 reviews with an average rating of 2 stars. The problem has nothing to do with Netflix. The Blu-ray portion of this device is great. Anything you try to do wirelessly on the device, Netflix or otherwise, is horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:30:27 AM PST
I disagree. I am streaming Amazon Prime video over the WiiFi with no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:47:11 AM PST
Todd says:
My comment on September 9th was accurate. I have no experience with Amazon Prime. It is also possible that Panasonic may have fixed their problems with an update that was released after my post in
September. I'm just happy I was able to return my Panasonic. I bought a Sony and haven't looked back since.

I truly hope that the problem has been fixed. No one should be forced to deal with the problems I had back in Septemeber.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›