5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful on the SDHC card you use, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Canon SX40 HS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch Vari-Angle Wide LCD (Camera)
Just got one today, and was having a real problem with macro, shots blurring ect. My old Canon S3 was out performing the SX40 in macro. So I took it back to Best Buy, and found a real camera buff working there, and he told me I bought the wrong 8 GB SDHC card a class 4 (4 mb per second transfer rate) which caused the camera to blur, so I purchased a class 10 (20 mb per second) for $10 bucks more, now I love my camera!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2011 9:25:37 AM PDT
Tatyana says:
Yep, upgraded my SD as well to a class 10 ultimate and it made a huge difference!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 10:26:17 AM PDT
S. Jaafar says:
sounds odd.....what the card speed has to do with picture quality?

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 11:28:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 11:30:32 AM PDT
Card speed has NOTHING to do with picture quality. Card speed affects the speed at which images and video are written to the card itself. So you may notice you can take a series of shots much quicker because you are not waiting in between shots for the camera to write to the card.

A higher class card is especially important for recording video. Slow write sppeds card will cause the camera to buffer while recording because the camera cannot write the information to the card quick enough. Slow write speed cards cause video recordings to stop if the info gets backed up.

It was a good idea going to a class 10 card, but the salesperson at Best Buy was incorrect in telling you that your images appear blurred because your card's write speed isn't fast enough. What a joke. Either your camera settings were off, the object was moving too quickly for the camera, or you don't have a steady hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 12:09:00 PM PDT
Ed H says:
All I know is that when I used the 4 rated card the camera would not stay in focus. When I replaced it with the 10 rated card, it worked like a charm. I was going to return the camera because of the lack of s super macro that my old S3 had. I do a lot of vintage costume jewelry sales on ebay, and I photo the markings on the back. They are very tiny, and the ideal focal point is 1/2 of an inch from the item. I think that the IS works better with the faster card. Before the new card, the camera would look like it was in focus before I did the 1/2 focus check, then the camera went out of focus when I pressed the shutter button, and stayed that way giving me an unueable pic. When I went to the class 10 card all of the above went away. I am not an expert, this is just my experiance with the camera that I was going to return. Right or wrong the guy at Best Buy corrected my problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 3:14:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2011 3:15:11 PM PDT
To link camera focus to card write speed is another misconception. Focus and image stabilization have no bearing on what type or kind of card you have in your camera. In fact, you don't even need to have an SDHC card in your camera for it to function properly.

The guy at best buy did nothing to "fix" your issue. This is just a classic case of camera misuse.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2011 4:58:33 PM PDT
Ed H says:
Well, Canon is looking into the issue, as we were on the phone for an hour working on this. The card makes a diferance. As to camera misuse, I used the same location, the same item same settings, and same lighting, and got much better results with the higher speed card. I am not an expert like you. So I will bow to your expertice.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 2:43:12 PM PDT
"I am not an expert like you. So I will bow to your expertice."

That won't be necessary.

Have a nice day.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:44:58 PM PDT
SWA says:
@Hudson. What the OP says is correct about the card not affecting focus and about being able to record images without a card (onboard RAM permitting). You're making a leap of logic that replacing your SDHC card with a class 10 fixed whatever was wrong. What seemed a fix was probably coincidental.

I have a digital tablet that now and then is unable to connect to WiFi, even in the same room with the router. The solution is to power it down, wait a minute and power it up again. After doing this it always connects. Why the problem? My guess is that a bit got dropped during bootup.

Your SX 40 is a very sophisticated computer with a lens on it. It has to bootup (or initialize) properly to work properly. One little bit of data out of many millions fails to read and register as it should, when it should, and something's not going to work. My best guess is that's what happened in your camera, and it could happen again. If it does, try powering down, waiting briefly, then powering up again.

I hope this will be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 7:00:19 PM PDT
PawAngel says:
[Just don't let anyone else tell you the kind of batteries you use can also affect picture quality.] WHat! That's what the EXPERTS at Wally World told me!!! And he was right! "D" batteries just won't work :-)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 6:02:20 PM PDT
Thanks for the info on the card. I personally have to side with the comments suggesting that the card isn't the root cause, however I do agree that the card is extremely important. When you're selecting a camera that offers some high end features it would be a mistake to not invest in quality memory for the camera. It can really reduce camera performance.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›