5.0 out of 5 stars Here's the Answer that's NOT what your doctor is ordering!, March 12, 2013
This review is from: The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol (Hardcover)
Ok as we age, things change and yes I know that's normal - but sometimes it's hard to accept. After the birth of my 3rd kid, I could never really lose the "baby weight." I feel like I tried everything and got to the point where I was practically WANTING my thyroid to be abnormal so I could hopefully take a medicine and lose weight. Unfortunately - that's not really how it works. Even more unfortunately, when most of us go to our doctor's to complain about this sort of standstill (or worse - gaining weight), our Drs are sympathetic (After all they hear it all the time) but have no answers beyond the standard, "eat less, exercise more" advice.

Enter Dr. Sara Gottfried. In the hormone cure, she lays out the reasons why all these things we thought were just normal aging are really signs that our hormone levels are off-balance. And I don't mean menopause off-balance. I mean normal 30s, 40s not even peri-menopause off-balance. Dr Sara validates the fact that things can be off-balance in our body but that doesn't mean that our doctors will catch it, or actually even think to test it.

What this Harvard trained Gynecologist does is explain all the hormones at work in your body (cortisol, thyroid, testosterone, etc) and how you optimally need them to work together to feel your best. Honestly I'd heard of all of them but how no idea how they really worked in my body. She includes easy tests to take (if you don't want to pay lab fees) in her book or what tests to have ordered at labs if you want to be sure. Then she walks you through, step-by-step, what these results ACTUALLY mean. What a real normal is (not the dr's tables looking for REALLY abnormal) and if you are slightly off - how to correct it to feel your best.

It's like a user manual for hormones that you didn't even know existed yet are ruling your life! What I especially love is that a lot of Dr Gottfried's solutions are simple (not easy but simple) and involve no drugs - just lifestyle modifications (that are doable). Like heart math, or yoga breathing, or a simple food to eat. She also gives you the natural over the counter supplements you can take to fix an issue that continues (your Dr would/could NEVER do that) and then lastly, how you might use RX drugs if the issue persist. Basically covering all your bases from lifestyle fixes to drug fixes and in between - LOVE IT!

Fast forward a few months, I followed JJ Virgin's foodplan that Dr Gottfried recommended, along with some heart math and some lifestyle shifts and I'm down 7 lbs that wouldn't budge just months ago! I had honestly given up hope.

I would recommend this book for women who are committed to living a full life and want to know the full range of options to do it. The book is easy to read, funny, and Dr Sara is likable. It's also an amazing education that if you want to get to know your body's inner workings better - you can't miss. Read this book and someday soon, you too could be singing the "I feel awesome and my jeans are too big on me" non-blues!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 6:02:49 AM PDT
Sambient says:
I'm excited about your results and am considering purchasing this book. But I'm finding myself questioning. At this time there's but three Amazon reviews for the book, yours being the only one that's a verified purchase. These reviews are all the same date that is listed as the release date for the book (yesterday). One of the reviewers is the author of the diet plan you mention.
I'm guessing you had an advance copy of this book, or time-travel, if you can fast forward a few months.
I'm interested in the book, but will likely wait for other reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 9:21:02 AM PDT
J. Ilfeld says:
LOL! Your comment cracked me up. Yes I did get an advance copy of the book. I was one of the readers of the book as it was going through the editing process. My review is 100% true though and wasn't even asked of me. I learned so much reading this book that was a revelation about how our bodies work and process stress and the world. I thought I knew so much already and yet this book educated me about hormone processes in our bodies I never even knew about. I highly recommend it!

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 10:51:53 AM PDT
Mary Slessor says:
Does she say anything about hormone replacement? I take estrogen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 10:43:21 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 10:47:50 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2013 10:45:25 AM PDT
J. Ilfeld says:
Sorry for the late reply. She does talk about hormone replacement in several chapters. I have to be honest I skimmed that part a bit since it didn't apply to me but there seemed to be some very helpful information.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›