5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing I've ever bought, March 23, 2005
This review is from: Canon Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
The XT is amazing. The battery comes partly charged so you can immedietly start using the camera (thank you Canon!) I've already shot about 200 pictures with it and the battery hasn't died yet.

I can't give you a comparison between the XT and the 20D as I haven't owned a 20D, I can tell you a few things you may wish to know before buying.

This camera, is TINY. Extremely tiny. I'm a woman in my early twenties and I have small hands. The camera fits just right in my hands, but honestly, I don't see how someone with bigger hands would be 100% comfortable holding this. If my hands were any larger, they would be slipping off the bottom.

I had tried holding a 20D at a camera shop once and it felt too large in my hands to grip. The camera size is perfect for me, but just beware if you have larger hands. You may want to look into the battery grip, or test out holding the camera at a store before you order it. See the picture I uploaded above to get a size relation and how the camera fits in my hands.

For anyone who is migrating to this camera from a standard point and shoot digital camera, you cannot frame the image you are about to take using the LCD screen on the back. You must look through the viewfinder. The LCD screen is soley for menu use and preview mode after the picture has been taken, nothing more.

Something I've noticed is the camera makes a ratteling sound when moved around. I couldn't figure out what the heck it was, and then I finally reazlized it's the hinges from the pop-up flash. It sounds like they are loose when the flash is closed. I went to Best Buy and looked at their display model, and yep, it has the same problem. Well, it's not really a *problem* but frankly something ratteling around like that sounds cheaply made to me. My Canon film SLR doesn't make that sound.

I use a 420EX Speedlite flash with my SLRs so the popup flash doesn't concern me, but it was something I noticed and thought I would share.

I love that Canon gave the option to have a black finish over a silver one.

The startup time is instantaneous which is absolutely wonderful.

The burst mode is excellent with 3 fps.

It's extremely quiet.

The image quality is excellent. You can get photo quality prints at 20x30, and even then I bet you could push it further.

I really can't elaborate more then what other reviews have said. If you are looking for a step into the digital SLR world, this is the ticket. Or you can even check out the newly reduced original Digital Rebel, but for the extra hundred bucks or so, I would just get the XT. You will not be sorry.

Two upgrades I would make right away: Get a Speedlite flash and the Canon 28-135mm lens.

Also, I don't know why people are submitting bad reviews grading Amazon on shipping for the Rebel XT. When I preordered the XT from Amazon (not from another 3rd party), it said it would be released March 20th. I got my Rebel XT in the mail yesterday (the 22nd) which if you ask me, is pretty darn good. Want something right away? Then walk into a store and buy it instead of ordering from the internet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2006 9:53:22 PM PST
Octavio Paz says:
The rattling noise you mention is actually a swinging sensor that detects the orientation of the camera- so that it automatically knows to print sideways pictures as portraits.. I actually asked Canon about it and they said it's normal!

Posted on Jun 2, 2007 11:27:00 PM PDT
Thank you for the excellent review with so many "small" details that really can become important! Especially about the size of hand holding the camera... and for posting the picture. This review has been exceptionally useful to a beginner like me, and now maybe I won't be too intimidated to go into a store and actually "try one out." Maybe even taking pictures soon enough! Thanks again... Catherine

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2007 1:21:36 PM PDT
White Lotus says:
We need more reviews like this one. :)

Posted on Oct 22, 2009 9:14:59 PM PDT
Retro Gamer says:
..My big fear in making what is for my wife and I is a big purchase is with the auto focus. I've heard Canons are infamous for fuzzy auto focus. I have seen this for myself 1st hand in Canon's sub $300 point-n-shoots verse say Nikon's. Over all though I enjoy my Canon camera the most. My questions to any one who owns this camera, what are you shooting? Any of the following; Moving subjects, outdoors, low light without flash, close up insects, wild life??? Are the pictures you take fuzzy with the auto focus? Is the over all satisfaction at the end of the day one of knowing your happy with the purchase of this camera??

Posted on Apr 3, 2013 7:40:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 3, 2013 7:44:06 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

L. Wimberley
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: USA