3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Anticipation?, July 14, 2010
This review is from: Fly Away Home: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Maybe I was expecting too much? I have enjoyed Jennifer Weiner's works in the past. I really wanted to like this book, but I just finished and found myself saying... "blah."
Nothing happens. And at the same time, everything seems sadly predictable. Reading this is like eating cotton candy -- pretty promises but empty.
Maybe the point is that these scandals are commonplace now and the story is "no story." Because really, now that I'm done, I feel so let down and like I wasted time.
Sylvie continues to go through the motions the entire book. No wonder her husband sought somebody else. She's on autopilot and things don't seem to change. First she takes a swing at her philandering spouse. Then she says she'll be on t.v. She didn't even have a conversation (argument, conflict, upset) about the whole "stand by your man" bit -- in fact her man didn't even ask her to stand by him. Next she's hiding (in Connecticut?? ) and grocery shopping as therapy? She learns to cook overnight, a sensation on her first try. And that's the extent of her growth?
Some of this is rehashed headlines with bits and pieces of Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife, and an after school special on what not to do when your kid is addicted (I can't believe her father asked her to make him a drink). Every daughter plot point was telegraphed in advance. I knew exactly what was going to happen (and it did). But I won't say what -- no spoilers (well, not much) on my watch.
So, yeah. This could be a beach read. Just don't get your hopes up. I'm still searching for the book of the summer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2010 2:27:43 PM PDT
I completely agree with your comment. I kept holding out expecting the unexpected but as soon as I finished the book, I wanted my time and money back.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 12:43:13 PM PDT
Shari Bee says:
I just finished the book today and I completely agree. It completely underwhelmed me. I've been a big fan of Jennifer Weiner in the past, so maybe I too expected too much. I'm so glad I was able to borrow it from the library, because if I'd purchased it I'd be really disappointed in the waste of money.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 6:07:30 AM PST
Diane says:
I just finished reading this on my Kindle last night and I have to agree. I, too, was underwhelmed. I found it hard to keep reading, just very predictable.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 10:16:21 PM PDT
Nancy Drew says:
Thanks for the posts. I'm only on page 26 and wondering if I should press forward. I think not, even though I've enjoyed a couple of her other books. Moving on .. . . . .

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2011 1:39:16 PM PDT
I was disappointed in how it ended. Sylvie chose the one I hoped she would not choose. Darn.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 7:05:19 AM PDT
Sunflower says:
If you are still looking for a good beach read, one year later, What Alice Forgot is a great book with the same story line, growing apart in a marriage.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (215 customer reviews)

$9.99