Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

2.0 out of 5 stars I just don't know...., April 2, 2007
This review is from: Takk (Audio CD)
I know I am joining a dwindling minority when I speak against this band, but I just can't help myself. I own two Sigur Ros albums including this one and I have listened to them many times in attempt to understand why this band has such a sterling reputation, but I have failed to uncover this mystery.

It seems like in the writing process, Sigur Ros get in a huddle and say to themselves, 'Lets find the most beautiful sound we can and use it throughout the entire album.' I mean, the sounds this band can make are amazing, but there is absolutely no 'umph' nor meaning to this music as far as I can tell. Its like this band tries to recreate the sound you hear while stepping through heaven's gate, and succeed! But I do not want to remain at heaven's doorstep throughout an entire album. I want a band to take me into heaven and show me how it feels to live amongst the clouds, and walk on solid gold. There is very little variation in all of Sigur Ros works, and very little more than one long, but pretty droning sound. This album is like staring directly into the sun; its bright and overwhelming at first, but after a couple of minutes your eyes get tired of it, and block it out.

Personally, when I listen to music I want it to take me places. I want to expirence an aurol journey that lifts me off my feet with passion and energy, and Sigor Ros does not deliver. This band provides nothing more to me than a pleasant background noise. For the record, a little light/dark contrast goes a long way in music, and the same shining noise throughout an entire album is a good start, but gets stale and overdone very quickly. Just think how much brighter the light would be, mixed with a little bit of darkness! Think about how much more interesting the Sigur Ros concept would be with the slightest bit of contrast. Some will argue that there are dynamics throughout this album, and I will agree, but anyone can play music louder to create a cheesy sense of climax. Change is good! No change is boring.

To me, Sigur Ros lacks everything I look for in music: Contrast, direction, backbone and passion. If I were you I would check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, and Pelican for music with personality.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2007 4:58:49 AM PDT
'aurol journey'?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2007 1:02:27 PM PDT
Wells Fargo says:
I would agree with your review but your words apply more to their 'Untitled' album than it does with 'Takk...' I think that 'Takk...' is the best thing that they have done. Their previous work does indeed suffer from wandering, overlong songs that don't seem to go anywhere. But 'Takk...' at least tapers things down and adds a little more light/shade to their dynamics. Trust me! I think that Mogwai have a bigger problem with variety than Sigur Ros do.
On the contrary, as far as post rock goes, there are FAR BETTER artists out there than Sigur Ros. You just touched on some of my favorite artists in fact. Explosions in the Sky's new album is one of the most amazing post-rock albums that I have heard in a while. Godspeed is great as well as A Silver Mt. Zion and Set Fire to Flames.

Posted on Nov 19, 2008 7:25:29 PM PST
Are you serious? This album is a masterpiece, touching internal places within the human emotional landscape that most mucsicians can only dream of. Explosions in the Sky are good, but please don't tell me that they even remotely compare to the sheer power of Sigur Ros. 'Explosions' music may have more apparent darkness (let's be honest, it's really just angst) but is not nearly as compelling or as nuanced as Sigur Ros's output. I also find EITS a bit monotonous and boring, building into spastic crescendos that really go nowhere. Sigur Ros's music has something that others do not, it's called 'presence', an intangible quality that defies rational explanation and so, it is great art. 'Takk' emanates this presence throughout, fusing a quiet whisper with the sophisticated beauty of creation evolving, the archetype of darkness....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 10:19:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 10:20:17 PM PDT
Hey, this seems like a good place to ask: What is a person who loves Cocteau Twins to do (also the Sundays, also defunct). I find Bjork intermittently interesting, if frequently self-indulgent -- sometimes she sounds like she's taken absinthe and is half-heartedly masturbating -- and these guys (Sigur Ros) capture some of the rapture I used to get from the CTs. As of now, per your (WF's) suggestions, I'm going to look into Explosion in the Sky, Godspeed, A Silver Mt. Zion and Set Fire to Flames, but I'm also eager to hear other suggestions...
Thanks -- walt

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:47:08 AM PDT
Jean Bal says:
Thank for your suggestions. But I have listened to your "FAR BETTER artists" and I must say that I don't care a bit about your music. Next time, would you please, say something like "FOR ME there are far better artists". Because I think we don't have the same tastes and you are NOT an authority, whatever you may believe. Thank you for reading.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 7:37:03 PM PDT
Michael O. says:
I agree in part. Sometimes it seems that there is loudness for the sake of loudness. However, that loudness often takes me to another dimension, like in Varud from Valtari. That is more spiritual than anything I have ever heard. I feel like I am in the heavens or part of creation when listening to that song. There is not enough respect given to "spirituality" in rock or pop music, and I think Sigur Ros goes where few have dared to go. Rock critics in particular, or even in movies, tend to just grasp onto darkness, like in the latest Batman movies. Darkness with the movie directors like Tarantino get all the credit. The balance is off, and my hats are off to Sigur Ros for balancing the lack of optimism in popular music. I can't stress enough how much that is needed. I do believe there is darkness in Sigur Ros music, just like there is bleakness in the Icelandic landscape. (I've been there and my grandfather was born there, so I understand that part, I think.) Lack of passion? Absolutely not. It's simply of a different variety. It doesn't have to be loud with thrashing power chords to show passion, or loud singing like Whitney Houston, as if loudness itself is indicative of true passion. It is not.

Music is so subjective. I have a friend who pays hundreds to see the Eagles, and they are mostly blase and without much soul to my ears, but they've sold records in the tens of millions of their Greatest Hits album. Hardcore improvisational jazz usually leaves me cold in my heart. Chuck Berry essentially had one style on guitar at his best, but he is considered one of the founding fathers of rock n roll, if not the greatest.

Go to Iceland sometime if you have the time and desire, and I think you'll "get" Sigur Ros:-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›