1.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, but shame on Activision and Infinity Ward, November 10, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - PC (Video Game)
I actually bought this game even though it will be the last Infinity Ward game I support by purchasing. I've been a huge fan of said developer since Call of Duty 1, a PC exclusive, since day one. I've purchased every single Call of Duty game developed by Infinity Ward over the years (including the expansion for CoD1 which wasn't developed by them). I never had a problem purchasing their products. Until now. This is the first time I've ever felt like a total tool and a moron for purchasing their "PC game".

The game IS phenomenal. The graphics are noticeably improved over Modern Warfare 1, despite using the same graphics engine. The overhaul is there, but a lot of current gen games have better visuals. Sound design is great as always. There's a lot of recycled sounds and some new ones. Multiplayer is more of the same which isn't a bad thing, and the new co-op mode, from what I've played so far, seems fun. That's where my positive review ends. So basically you get more of the same, with slightly upgraded graphics.

Here's where things turn bad. For starters, Activision is charging $60 for this game, a move that completely goes against the grain of PC game pricing trends. Why? Because they can. It's a business move, yes, but it's completely immoral and greedy. Corporate greed rears its ugly head. Activision are the new EA. You would think for $10 you would get, oh I don't know, a longer than average single player campaign right? Well you don't. If you thought Modern Warfare's campaign was short prepare to get slapped in the face with a campaign that can easily be completed in one session. Bigger price, smaller experience.

But most people are probably buying it for multiplayer anyway, so let's discuss that. Basically it's all been said before. This is a console port, right down to being limited to 9v9. Want to get your clan together for some 32 vs. 32? Nope. 16 vs 16? Nope. Oh come on then....at least give me some 12 v 12. Sorry Charlie. You get 9v9, just like the console. And just like the console you can't sort servers and pick where you want to play, you can't tweak game parameters via a developer console (another PC industry standard that Infinity Ward think's it's too good to implement), and, OH, no dedicated server support.

Frankly, I'm surprised the PC port even allowed me to play with a mouse and keyboard....

It's painfully obvious that Infinity Ward prefer console development at this point (particularly the 360, which gets exclusive content before anybody else for the second game in row now), and it's even clearer that Activsion are greedy jerks.

It was a good run, Infinity Ward, but just like real life I won't associate with conceited, big-headed people. You won't get any more of my money. MW2 gets one star for actually being a fun game, but insulting PC gamers by lying about features that never made it to the game (dedicated servers, more people per server than the console versions, etc), and the fact that your publisher is price gouging, keeps it from scoring higher.

** APPENDED MULTIPLAYER INFO **

Okay so I've put in a few hours of multiplayer over the last few days and my worst fears were confirmed consistently. Horrible latency just ruins the experience. The game measures latency by a 4 bar system, similar to a mobile phone's signal strength. So rather than seeing what your latency is as measured by miliseconds, you will see 1-4 bars. Usually 3. Very rarely in my time playing MP did I ever have 4 bars, unless I was hosting the game. I kept a close eye on other player's latencys(using the TAB button) and probably 70% of the players had 3 bars as well, with usually just 1 or 2 people having 4 bars - one of which was the player hosting the game - and a couple unfortunate fools who were somehow getting by with 2 bars or less. The person who hosts a game enjoys a SIGNIFICANT advantage over even those with 3 bars. The killcam proves it. Time after time after time I would get killed and, through the eyes of my opponent thanks to killcam, notice that there was about a half second difference between what I saw and what actually happened. Then I'd hit the TAB button and sure enough, that guy has 4 bars and I only have 3. Ridiculous. I have a fast enough internet connection (2 MB up), and don't notice these latency disadvantages with other shooters, so I have to put the blame solely on IWNET.

It's really unfortunate and it's just the way it is which is sad as the multiplayer seems really fun and the levels are well thought out. The reality is if you want to play Multiplayer you're going to have to put up with a LOT of frustrating deaths, even if you get the drop on somebody, because he is enjoying a significant latency advantage.

The matchmaking is also broken. It's supposed to match you based on latency (therefore location) and skill, so why was I constantly in matches with people with 1-2 bars of latency, versus lieutenants and generals when I was only a lowly specialist?

Bottom line is if you have either console and a PC, just get the console version because that's all you're getting on the PC. The PC version has no right disgracing the other games on your hard drive by pretending to be a PC game itself. This game fails utterly. I would rate it half a star if I could.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2009 6:02:57 PM PST
9v9? That's all I need to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2009 7:59:34 PM PST
S. Mitchell says:
And 9v9 is in scenario-type modes. In TDM, it's limited to 6v6. Enjoy! *rolleyes*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 3:54:53 AM PST
InsanityWard deserve to know that they got my last dollar. No more money of mine are going to their fat wallets until they fix this failure.

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 4:46:29 AM PST
C. Miner says:
Its true, Activision is the new EA. They have enormous profits, second only to EA from what I know.

Its especially insulting to PC gamers since they made COD what a success it was, and supported it all this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 8:21:54 AM PST
defilm says:
I did have 3 copies pre-order. (Playing with my two boys COD, COD UO, COD2, COD 4, COD MW). I saw the details on the game and canceled. Cut it to one
copy just to check out the single player. So I will finish the single player missions, and uninstall it, and let my son's each have a turn. Both are in clans,
one is very talented and in a $$ gaming clan and for 15y/o he does pretty well. The clan is ovously skipping the game completely as would most gaming clans.

Sad thing is I don't like where this is going. We are moving to Netbooks, and mobile smart phones that are really PC's, so the PC hardware
market is shrinking at the business and consumer level. There are less costs associated with developing for consoles because the hardware
on every console is the same. The support costs are a fraction of PC support costs. But consoles have limitations that make multiuser
gaming suck. The other related concern is that the number of publishers of PC based games is shrinking. IW has always been a big
supporter of the PC market. At the end of the day however, they will look at console sales, subtract dev costs and support costs
and turn a nice profit. On the PC side sales are a fraction of console sales, same dev costs + port, and the support costs are a
deep gash in to profits, from dedicated server code, to support for all the hardware variations.

I believe we are witnessing the death of the "Game developed for the PC" sadly. It is pure economics.
As I am writing this review my older son 17yo) just walked by and he advised me he purchased it with
his own money... for his XBox 360. :( He does not belong to the clan he belonged to. He rarely uses
his PC anymore, and plays everything online against his friends on Xbox, or single player. (I have had
him playing COD when he was 12y/o!). He says simply it is just easier, and he don't have to go through
problems everytime I would upgrade his drivers, or whatever. He asked me "You coming up to my dorm
to fix my system, I don't know how to do it and don't care. I just want it to work, and XBox does.".
How can I argue with that. He added "Didn't you get me a Macbook so I can have support at any
Apple store, run my Music stuff (he is going to be a music theory major), and I can run Windows
if I need to?". What can I say... his logic is sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 8:37:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2009 8:38:20 AM PST
M. Weir says:
A good friend of mine bought the PS3 port and apparently he's running into a ton of bugs and issues. Trophies aren't being awarded, matchmaking is broken, and his game freezes during multiplayer. Apparently a patch is being released friday. The 360 version already has a patch. Further proof where Infinity Ward's loyalties lie.

Seriously, how do you let a game out the door with so many obvious bugs that are apparent within 5 minutes of playing the game. Next time they should not even bother with the PS3 or PC. Do it right or don't do it at all. Infinity Ward, you fail. Every last bit of respect I had for you has been obliterated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 8:42:38 AM PST
Eric says:
you should have just rented it for the single player.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 11:55:02 AM PST
C. Koloen says:
Yeah, it's sad...

It's all about ease of use and being hand held through everything now.

My dad had me sitting on his lap playing computer games since I was 2...

I'm 22 now, and it's really sad how you can see the PC gaming industry has just gone downhill.

They blame it on the consumers, I blame it on the publishers. Either way, I hope someone re-invigorates the industry.

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 6:23:47 PM PST
WOW! 9 VS 9?????? I specifically wanted this game for its awesome online pc experience ie... 64 players, awesome graphics and smooth game play. NO MORE :( I have a PS3 but i refuse to buy 1st person shooters on any console cause they dont compare to the pc. I guess i wont be buying any version. Thanks for the warning.

Posted on Nov 12, 2009 10:21:35 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 9, 2011 3:52:21 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.4 out of 5 stars (836 customer reviews)

$19.99 $14.99