5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising quality of a bygone era, April 24, 2010
This review is from: SANGEAN WR-11 AM/FM Table Top Radio (Electronics)
I purchased this radio for my 89 year old mom who has physical limitations, including challenged vision, and who can't tolerate new technology. She had inspected many radios, sold locally, and refused to give any of them a try. They were "plastic, cheap, contraptions." So you can understand my apprehension, purchasing this one for her, sight unseen. When I delivered the radio, she watched apprehensively, as I pulled it from the box. Then with closer inspection, it was love-at-first-site. She literally caressed the walnut cabinet commenting, "This looks like an old-timey, radio---just what I wanted."

Simply put, this solidly built little radio has timeless elegance, coupled with ultimate simplicity and I found it outperformed any table-top radio I have ever had. The sound is clear and rich and once tuned to a channel, there is no annoying channel drift, or static. I was amazed at how the sound filled the room, from such a small package. There is a tuning light that indicates when you have the best reception in your area, for a particular channel. FM sounds awesome, and I found no problems with weak AM reception, or not picking up channels.

My mom has always had a radio at her bedside, to lull her to sleep. With only three knobs controlling operation she commented, "I can actually reach over and operate it in the dark." If you knew my mom, you'd know why I'm celebrating my victory. She's been around the block a few times and is tough to please! She demands quality!

I'm so fond of this radio that I'm considering ordering one for myself. It is attractive enough to make a nice addition to any room and I'm sure that many visitors would want to know 'where'd you get that,' since it's increasingly hard to find quality workmanship these days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2010 3:12:47 AM PDT
We own some Sangean radios we bought from C. Crane. Ours have digital tuning, but I sure like the way this one looks. I would buy more, but ours still work. Both my husband and I are still radio listeners - we have one television in the house, and a radio in every room. Sangean makes some pocket-size radios too. Very nice for travel or when you're taking a walk.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 4:38:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2010 4:38:54 PM PDT
Shiloh True says:
Yes, I have really been impressed. Before delivering it to my mom,
I set it up in the living room tuned to NPR, for a trial run. I swear,
it couldn't have been clearer, if I was at the studio enjoying a live
broadcast. And, the classical music was awesome, too. I haven't
purchased one for myself, yet, but I intend to. I haven't seen the
pocket sized ones. Need to check those out, too :-).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 2:49:26 PM PST
Ronnie Ewing says:
Hello, thanks for the review. I didn't want a digital tuner, but I also don't like fishing for the strongest signal. Your mention of the signal strength light sealed the deal. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2010 2:26:28 AM PST
Shiloh True says:
Ronnie,

Thank you for leaving a comment. Glad to have been helpful. I think you will really like this radio. My mom has hardly turned it off since I gave it to her :-). I'd like to hear what you think, when you get it.

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 8:48:18 PM PST
As a shortwave and mediumwave radio nut and an extra class ham I can say that Sangean is a great company. I own a Sangean ATS 909 portable and it is built like a Swiss watch except for the flimsy elevation panel. The FM, MW, and SW performance are top notch. This radio looks like a keeper although I don't have this model. I did military comms and still have fun talking to the world on the mike and my telegraph keys. When I build a portable transmitter to use the Sangean will be the receiver half of the station. It is a shame that there are no consumer radios or TVs made in America anymore!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (718 customer reviews)

$300.24 $71.50
Reviewer

Shiloh True
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 896