5.0 out of 5 stars a treasure of a book, January 20, 2009
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to come across an advanced reader copy of this book. Set in Mississippi during the civil rights movement, the story is narrated by the three principal characters...Minny and Aibileen, two black maids, and Miss Skeeter, a young, white woman newly graduated from college. The characters are wonderfully developed, as are the historical background and setting. As each character took her turn at narrating, she became my favorite character until the next one took over again.I was torn between not being able to put the book down and not wanting it to end.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2009 6:34:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2009 6:35:07 PM PDT
Brandy Joone says:
"As each character took her turn at narrating, she became my favorite character until the next one took over again.I was torn between not being able to put the book down and not wanting it to end."
I had the exact same feeling!

Posted on Nov 7, 2009 1:41:38 PM PST

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 8:36:43 AM PST
I too did could not read it fast enough..and did not want it to end. One of the special books that only come along every few years...50 pages in you know you have found something very special...I loved it!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 7:56:24 AM PDT
DaHash says:
I absolutely adored this book, one of my favorites. Loved the characters, laughed with them and felt their pain.

Posted on May 18, 2010 9:55:04 AM PDT
Lulu says:
Funny, I was torn between throwing it up against a wall or into the trash where it belongs. I did neither becuase it was a library book. I'm glad to see at least 54 others gave it the 1 star rating it deserves. Poorly written, uneven plot and cardboard characters I could care less about with the exception of one or two. Needed a team of editors which unfortunately it did not have. I can believe it was rejected by lots of publishers before finally being accepted.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 11:28:19 AM PDT
Shelly Rae says:
I was torn between not being able to put the book down and not wanting it to end......That right there is the best description for this book! I felt that way the whole way through....as it got better and better I kept wishing It didn't have to end!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2010 4:56:02 PM PDT
I continued to stop and savor the story and then read a few more lines - I felt like I wanted it to go on and on...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 2:04:30 PM PDT
CDL says:
I'm an alumnus of Old Miss '73. I felt the same way. I stayed up late reading because I wanted to know what was coming next--whether somebody was going to end up in jail--but then was sad to see the book end because the maids were just beginning to find some control over their own lives.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 3:18:19 AM PDT
kc91 says:
I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 7:09:56 PM PDT
K. Buckley says:
Would you recommend this for a high school history class learning about civil rights?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (8,214 customer reviews)
 (6,606)