4.0 out of 5 stars This is not necessarily a "space saver", March 10, 2011
This review is from: Keurig K-Cup Storage Drawer Coffee Holder for 36 K-Cups (Kitchen)
So, I bought the Coffee Pod Drawer thinking it was the answer to my cluttered coffee area on my kitchen counter. Not exactly. First and foremost, let me say - this is a great product. It does hold the pods neatly. It has a nice, durable, slip resistant top that lets you feel comfortable that your Keurig won't slip or tip over. This is why I gave the product 4 stars.
My issue is this: I purchased this simply because I thought it would use up less space on my counter if my K-Cups were stored inside this drawer and underneath my Keurig, as opposed to my (somewhat) bulky K-Cup Carousel. (Which by the way, is chrome, and I really despise chrome.) Anyways, what I did not consider was the fact that it raises your Keurig up by about 3.25 inches. Before I bought this drawer, my Keurig had just enough space on the counter under the cupboard that it sits under, for me to lift the top of the Keurig open to put new K-Cups in, and to fill the water, etc. That additional 3.25 inches really makes a difference. I can no longer open the top of the Keurig all the way without banging the cupboard. We all know that you don't NEED to open it all of the way, but when that's what you were used to doing, well, you can understand... I pretty much bang the cupboard every day now. Another drawback to the idea of purchasing this soley to save space, is that you can't keep anything in front of the drawer, since obviously, you need to open the drawer to get the K-Cups out. I used to keep the coffee condiments in front of my Keurig, and now I can't.

Here's the bottom line: This is a great product in the sense that it gets the carousel (if you have one) off your counters. But, I would only buy this if 1.) You have ample clearance above your Keurig now to be able to still lift the top open once you set this up, and 2.) You don't need to use the space in front of the drawer.

Happy Coffee Drinking!

Update: 02/20/12:
Almost a year later - I am still using the Storage Drawer. Yes, from time to time I forget and still whack the cupboard, but the Keurig and the cupboard are no worse for the wear. I still keep my eye out for better storage solutions, and none have really looked like they would be any better. While the product is well made and has been durable (still looking practically new, and is heavily used in my kitchen) - I still think it's a bit pricey for what it is. I just checked online and it still ranges from $25 to $45. (I am hoping that nobody pays $45 for this when you can get it for $24.99, plus use a coupon for 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond.)
Of all the reviews I have written on Amazon, this one seems to bring some not so nice comments from people. Which is kind of odd to me. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I still hold firm at 4 stars. As I mentioned in a reply to one comment - to me, that's a B+. There's nothing wrong with a B+ product. I think most people that buy this product will be very impressed with it's durability. Thanks for reading!

Update: 12/05/12:
Nearly two years later, and I am still using this. I appreciate all of the folks that have taken the time to read this review, and to comment (yes, even the negative ones.) It's still working for me, the drawer pulls out and closes still with ease. For as much as I open and close this every day, for nearly two years now, I am quite happy with the workmanship.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2011 5:05:54 AM PDT
If you had "just enough space on the counter under the cupboard that it sits under", what did you think was going to happen if you set it on higher on the drawer?!?!?! And who would have thought that you can`t put things in front of a drawer, "since obviously, you need to open the drawer to get the K-Cups out"!! I`m glad you forewarned everyone of these pitfalls.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2011 5:46:08 PM PDT
Mary P. says:
Actually Scott, I wasn't thinking. I didn't realize that I wouldn't have enough clearance under the cupboard until I got home and got it out of the box. And yes, I realize you can't put things in front of a drawer, but at the end of the day, I wanted to let those interested know that this takes up more space on the counter than the traditional carousel or basket.

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 7:37:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2011 7:38:28 AM PDT
unkydave says:
We plan on putting the k cup holder under our toaster, which is not as tall as the Keurig and avoid the under cabinet clearance problem.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 9:28:04 AM PDT
Blind Dog says:
If you glue some felt or something similar to the feet of this unit, you can slide it forward & out from underneath your cupboard to fill with water & insert K-Cups, then slide it back.

Posted on May 4, 2011 3:24:04 PM PDT

Posted on May 27, 2011 4:18:18 AM PDT
ML says:
Why do people have such a mean edge to what they say here?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 11:09:06 AM PDT
M. K. Blue says:
You are not going to want to do that. The heat from the toaster will heat up your coffee will affect the coffee taste and not in a good way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 11:10:33 AM PDT
M. K. Blue says:
Thank you for your review and comments. These are things that I wouldn't "think" about.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 6:59:59 AM PDT
Mary, I appreciate your comments. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry for a "quick fix" I buy something on impulse, rather than thinking it through. Also, I am in the process of moving to a new home and was thinking this would be a "problem solver" for limited counter space. Your review saved me the hassle of having to pay to return a purchase I couldn't use. Thank You for your thorough and fair review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 9:39:59 AM PDT
KSW says:
As far as placing the toaster on top ... I'm not sure how hot it would get under the toaster since heat rises, and the toaster is not hot long enough to radiate too much heat underneath. But a little experimenting should let you know for sure. I don't know that I'd want the breadcrumb mess that filters out to be in my kcups though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (599 customer reviews)

$24.99 $13.99