4.0 out of 5 stars Never Say Never, August 6, 2014
This review is from: Personal (Jack Reacher) (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Avoiding a Jack Reacher book has been my forte over the years. I thought it might be too formulaic, like other series I have read that turned out to be the same but with different names/places, not the kind of mystery that interests me. However, I never say never, when the nineteenth Reacher book was offered to me, I thought I have nothing to lose.

From the first page to the last I became engrossed in the storyline. Jack Reacher as everyone knows who follows the series, is a loner, one man against the world. Reacher travels by bus, from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon and finally to Seattle. We don't know what his business was in the first two cities, but in Seattle, he found a military newspaper, 'Army Times', with a message for him in the personal columns. Since Reacher doesn't have a cell phone, he finds a pay phone and off we go on an adventure.

The President of France was targeted to be killed, but the bullet did not go through the protective window. The man who contacted Reacher wants him to find the sniper before more are killed. The sniper it turns out was a man Reacher put behind bars. Now, Reacher teams up with a new agent, Casey Nice, to track down this sniper. From the US to Paris to London, they look for the man and his accomplices. To say that there are turns and twists, states the obvious, but the ending is very fitting.

Lee Child, the author, has a great way with his writing. He is able to entice us into the life of the loner, ex-military Jack Reacher. This is a man that has the characteristics we would all like to have in our lives. Intelligent, savvy, no man's fool, charisma, the kind of person that is attractive to all. I have no idea how the author has been able to maintain the credibility of this man through nineteen novels. 'Personal' seems to be the kind of novel that anyone could read without having any idea of the past eighteen novels, as I did. Being able to achieve this capability gives the author, Lee Child, a strength that we don't find in many authors. I just may read another one of the Reacher novels.

Recommended. prisrob 08-06-14

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2014 7:49:09 PM PDT
Just like you I avoided his Reacher novels after the second one. I'll follow your lead though and take another chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 8:02:18 PM PDT
prisrob says:
I had not read any Reacher novels, but did enjoy this one. Thanks for the comment.

Posted on Aug 12, 2014 8:12:28 PM PDT
It just so happens that there is a Reacher book called Nothing to Lose (Jack Reacher) by Lee Child (who is one of my absolute favorite authors). Maybe it would be a good one to try next ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2014 12:01:11 PM PDT
prisrob says:
Thank you so much for the recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2014 9:16:04 AM PDT
David Daly says:
Lee Child is one of my favorite authors too. But I really cant recommend nothing to lose. In fact, read any one of the first 14 novels and you have a truly excellent book in your hands. It went downhill after that though, unfortunately. I haven't read Personal yet, but based on your recommendation I have hopes that its a return to form for Child.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2014 9:37:48 AM PDT
prisrob says:
Thank you for your comments. I will read reviews on Lee Child's books, and then decided which one to read. It is always good to get the reader's perspective, first.

Posted on Aug 16, 2014 9:49:26 PM PDT
Richardson says:
too formulaic? Goodness , I wish more authors had that formula, sort of like the Lennon & McCartney "formulaic" songwriting.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2014 9:50:44 PM PDT
Richardson says:
I truly recommend reading them in order.... if you plan on reading more, it really adds to it and I don't consider myself and expert on these things, but I think the books just kept getting better and better.... the first and second aren't my favorites either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2014 9:52:21 PM PDT
Richardson says:
Probably my least favorite of the series is "Nothing to Lose" .... I recommend reading them in order. If you like more a blend of history the previous one to "Nothing to Lose" is "Bad Luck and Trouble" which finds him reunited with former team mates.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2014 9:53:42 PM PDT
Richardson says:
I agree that Nothing To Lose isn't the high water mark and I don't recommend it as a starting point.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (6,637 customer reviews)
 (2,732)
 (1,562)
 (1,216)

$28.00 $16.45
Reviewer

prisrob "pris,"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Location: New England USA