Customer Review

164 of 167 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Liquid paraffin - clean burning, long lasting, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Sterno Emergency Candles and Clear Mist
We have several of these "candles" in our house, to use during power outages. Being fueled with liquid paraffin, they burn without smoke or odor, and the fuel won't break down even after years of storage. The container is designed to extinguish the flame if it tips over - although the base is stable enough that it would take a big smack to tip it over.

The light from these candles is bright and clear, although not as bright as a flashlight. We put one on the kitchen counter and it lights the room enough to get around safely, but not enough to read by.

Because of the risk of fire, I wouldn't suggest using these candles in a tent or in a car (as one reviewer wanted to do). Set them safely on a table or countertop and enjoy 100 hours of non-smelly light.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

[Add comment]
Post a comment
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Amazon will display this name with all your submissions, including reviews and discussion posts. (Learn more)
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

As a representative of this product you can post one Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)
After clicking the Post button you will be asked to create your public name, which will be shown with all your contributions.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.  Learn more
Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
 
System timed out

We were unable to verify whether you represent the product. Please try again later, or retry now. Otherwise you can post a regular comment.

Since you previously posted an Official Comment, this comment will appear in the comment section below. You also have the option to edit your Official Comment.   Learn more
The maximum number of Official Comments have been posted. This comment will appear in the comment section below.   Learn more
Prompts for sign-in
 

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2012 11:31:15 AM PST
dlb says:
Clean burning, no black resitue or smoke? I can put something across the room for light with a flame, but I am on oxygen and can't get any closer than 5 feet, but my lungs don't need the residue or smoke that regular candles give off so this does not do that? We lost power for 10 days with Hurricane Irene.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 11:57:29 AM PST
Lisa Kearns says:
There is a tiny bit of odor, but these burn very cleanly without noticeable smoke. Because the wick is short, it doesn't smoke like a regular candle can do. Any time you burn something there will be at least a little bit of odor or smoke, but liquid paraffin should be ok for you. I suggest you buy one and see if you can tolerate whatever fumes it might give off. If you find you can't tolerate it, then give it to someone. Being on oxygen, maybe it's safer to use an LED flashlight with batteries? Good luck to you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›