5.0 out of 5 stars Take that, Infinity Ward!, March 2, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield Bad Company 2 - PC (DVD-ROM)
I bought BC2 off Steam after hearing all the hoopla about Modern Warfare 2, and after trying the BC2 Beta. I made the purchase for the multi-player only; I hear the single player campaign is pretty short. As a newcomer to the Battlefield series, I am quite impressed with Bad Company 2.

PROS:

- Fully destructible environments; it's amazing to stand inside a house while it's getting shelled by a tank, only to have the walls, roof, and windows get blown to bits around you. Nearly everything on the map can be destroyed (with the exception of some boulders). For instance, when shooting at an enemy who is hiding behind a concrete wall, the concrete first starts to get chipped, then gradually larger pock-marks form, then re-bar is exposed, then the concrete is reduced to dust. It's pretty incredible.

- Gravitational effects; yes, gravity plays a big part in this game. Shoot a tank shell half a mile, and the shell doesn't fly straight to the target. Rather, it assumes a parabolic arc. The same is true for sniper rifles, so one needs to make suitable adjustments.

- Achievements; I enjoy the multi-player method of unlocking weapons and gadgets. Many modern-day weapons are modeled, and various gadgets include new scopes, holographic sights, extended magazines, etc..

- Sound; fully immersive, adds to the authenticity.

- 32 Player multi-player servers; brilliant online madness.

- Huge maps; the urban combat maps are tricky, snipers hiding around every nook and cranny. The island warfare map is lush with waterfalls and plant life. Great map design.

- Weapons balancing; the vehicles/weapons feel more balanced in the full game, than they did in the beta. Helicopters no longer reign the skies with impunity, and can be taken down more easily. The same goes for vehicles.

- Graphics; weapons, vehicles, everything modeled with great detail. Love the Russian/American uniforms.

- Snipers not being allowed to go prone; there are already too many users who jump for the sniper class in every multi-player match, and allowing players to go prone would make them nigh impossible to spot. Being allowed to crouch is more than sufficient; the maps are huge, and there's enough rubble around to generate many good hiding spots that already make a ghillie suited sniper hard to see. If you play on a hardcore server with no killcam, you won't miss the lack of prone at all- snipers are all but invisible.

- Performance; the game runs pretty well despite my not having a top of the line gaming rig. With a Core i7 920, 4 GB RAM, and Nvidia GTX 260 with Core 216, I can run all settings at maximum and still get 70-90 fps.

- **UPDATE**; I did finally get around to trying the single player campaign, and like others have said, it is pretty weak. However, think of the SP as an extended tutorial for the multi-player, where you can try out different weapons and get used to the recoil and handling.

CONS:

- Server browser interface; it's slow and could be optimized better. Adding favorite servers takes a few seconds to do, when it ought to be near instantaneous. Also, I get kicked randomly from certain servers and EA Online occasionally disconnects for no apparent reason. **UPDATE** The connection issues were primarily in the first week of gameplay, when EA's servers were overwhelmed by players. Since then, connection has been rock-solid. Love the dedicated servers.

- Headwave; in an effort to implement more realistic effects, DICE went overboard on the headbobbing that the player experiences when walking around. It was initially rather extreme, causing motion sickness and nausea. Eventually, I acclimated to the bobbing, but it wouldn't hurt the realism if they turned it down a notch.

- Too many persons using sniper online; but you have that problem with any online FPS game.

In conclusion, I'd say the pros far outweigh the cons to make BFBC2 a great and enjoyable multiplayer first person shooter.

**Note: To unlock the M1 Garand, you need to be a Battlefield Veteran (e.g. own at least 2 games of the BF series, including BFBC2). If BFBC2 is your first purchase, you can still qualify by downloading and playing the FREE game, Battlefield Heroes. Then visit [...], to register and view your account (same login/pw as your EA Account).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2010 1:00:46 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 4:02:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 15, 2010 4:05:46 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 8:24:18 AM PDT
I never said I didn't play MW2; it has its appeal for certain gamers, but I didn't like it. Felt too much like a console port and had an arcade-ish feel to it.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 10:02:16 AM PDT
S. Nevid says:
Although allowing snipers to go prone may make it difficult to shoot them, it also seems to be a basic feature of a game trying to simulate military infantry tactics. I can't really understand how you think the lack of "prone" is a positive. It's almost like saying you can't reload your gun while running would be a positive....sure it would depend on the gun, but still. Unless they are in a building in a window, snipers are normally laying down trying to hide (since they aren't moving) with full camo. I don't see this feature removal simply as a lack of realism, but as a requirement for the sniper to be ...well... a sniper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 10:27:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 15, 2010 10:29:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 10:29:02 AM PDT
Well, allowing the sniper to go prone would upset the balance of the game by making snipers more powerful than is necessary. If reloading your gun while running would similarly affect game balance, then I'd add it to the CONS section as well.

If you've played a BC2 online match with 20 snipers and you're the sole non-sniper class, it gets boring quickly. And BC2 isn't going for full on realism; rather, it's incorporating certain realistic elements into a more accessible gaming experience. Consider the ultra-realistic game, Red Orchestra. It's too realistic to the point of being boring to play.

I suggest you play on a couple hardcore servers, if you haven't already. With no kill-cam, it practically negates the need for sniper-proning, especially if the snipers have great tactical position.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 8:17:13 PM PDT
Banana says:
Sometimes you have to ignore realism to make a game fun. For example, imagine what a shooting game would be like if you couldn't respawn after dying, or tripped frequently when sprinting through a forest. Snipers are already the most hated class (except, of course, for people who do nothing but snipe in every game--but even they still get annoyed at other snipers). In order to thin their numbers and not make the game constantly sniper-vs-sniper, BC2 forces them to have a little more visibility than in other games in exchange for making lower-risk long-range shots.

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 11:36:56 PM PDT
Ok It seems everyone has a problem with your opinion on Going Prone for Sniping and Against Call of duty M.2. I have to say I am 50 50 on this for several reasons. I am Currently in the Military so I can see why there are several things wrong. Yes we are trained to load a weapon while running but its plan out stupid. You have to take a knee to make yourself the smallest target possible if no cover is near and retrieve your Magazine. trust me. you get Plently of bullets but never enough Mags. so I have to agree saying its a good thing you cant reload while running.

Now about the Prone thing. I have to say I love sniping in both real life and in games. It was a Huge turn off for me when i first tried this game but that is due to the fact I played COD all my life and this was my first BF. First night hated the game but after I learn its based on some realistics and not like COD and how F####N huge the maps were compare to COD I could Reason with Snipers not going prone. If there is no kill cam they are hard mother ####### to find. Trust me I know I got a 9 kill streak twice in one game because no one could find me. I had to kill my self to get more ammo. So yes In The game I can reason to not going prone but in Real life. Prone is your friend for firing anything more than 300 yards my friend more accuracy and concelment.

Like I said this was my first BF and I will say I enjoy it just as much as COD and I like how it plays and works out. Wish they were more of a straight death match but thats fine with me. I have to agree on most of your review. It was helpful and to be honest this was one of the ones I used before I bought the game. So I as a CPL an NCO in the Marines Corps would like to say thanks for the insight of this game and I do respect your opinion. Hopefully you will never have to see the S### I have.

Also pardon my french...Been with Marines too long lol.

OORAH!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 7:15:30 AM PDT
Thanks Elias Diaz for your comments and your military service. Glad my review was of help; enjoy the game!

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 10:53:00 AM PDT
Puddy_Tat says:
Great review! Detailed and allot of useful information, I have been playing MW2 sense it came out but it honestly has that console ported feel where any n00b can run and gun.

I like my FPS'ers games to take a little skill and tactics is all and from what I am reading BBC2 seems to have a nice mix and I am going to buy it.

Enjoy all
Tat
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (440 customer reviews)

$19.99 $9.68
Reviewer

Senor Zoidbergo
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: Washington D.C.