Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy, October 6, 2011
This review is from: QuickBooks 2012 for Mac [Download] [OLD VERSION] (Software Download)
I just upgraded to QB 2011 for Mac in January...because I was forced to. After working on my previous 2007 version a few times in Snow Leopard, I started getting dialogue boxes saying I needed to register my QB, which I ignored because it was already registered. What the dialogue box did not say was that all of my data would begin corrupting after a set number of openings. OK. I didn't like it. I felt connived as did an overwhelming # of reviewers when 2011 came out.

I've rationalized Intuit's strategy and moved on...until now. Less than 10 months later, no free upgrade, not even a moderately priced upgrade. No, Intuit wants another $200 in less than a year for a few more goodies, which, by the way, would be nice improvements.

I like the program! It functions well! I hate this company! BTW, are the posts prior to mine real? They sound more like company generated commercials than real customers. I'm willing to be wrong on this.

I don't doubt this version is actually really good. But I resent being herded into constantly shelling out full price...in less than a year!

5 stars for the product minus 2 stars for economic ethics.

****************UPDATE 3/11/14****************

Intuit upholds its stellar customer-gouging reputation as a money-sucking black hole with my latest email notification from them:

Intuit writes:
"Our records show that you are currently using QuickBooks for Mac 2011. As of May 31, 2014, Online Banking, Live Technical Support and other QuickBooks Services for this version will be discontinued.

Our policy is to offer support for the current version of QuickBooks, plus two versions back. If you want to use these Services or access Live Support you have two options.

Move to QuickBooks Online Plus, which offers Online Banking, Payments Services, and automatic updates, so your services will never be discontinued. QuickBooks Online also includes free phone-based support to make your transition as seamless as possible.

Or, upgrade to QuickBooks for Mac 2014 if you wish to remain with desktop software."

The remainder of the email describes how I can pay more--AGAIN--to have the honor of being served for the product I have paid for 3x over. Perhaps I don't get out much, but in 20 years I have not experienced a company that refuses to support its product the way Intuit does. My 2011 version works just fine (except for the services they have withdrawn) and the later versions (incl. 2014) are minimally improved and, therefore, haven't earned my business.

I get that Intuit's ultimate strategy is to have all their users pay monthly, ad infinitum, for their web-based application. I get that the new wave of software is destined for the cloud, like Adobe is doing with Photoshop, et al. The least they can do is stand behind what they've sold till we choose to trash our desktop apps. Frankly, who wants their finances floating in a dubiously secured cloud anyway--by a company that puts dollars before loyalty, no less? (You don't need a calculator to do that math.)

It's astonishing how Intuit continues to survive year in and year out with such a high degree of customer disdain. Perhaps there are few alternatives to Quickbooks because Intuit buys them out as they crop up. Ooops...just spilled my conspiracy Kool-Aid into my keyb*#;i

I'm deleting another star for my frustration and impending sense that I'll ultimately pay this preposterous piper again.

UNLESS, someone knows of a competent, user-friendly, Mac-based accounting software.
Really...help...Help...HELP!!!

There...I almost feel better--except I still own this software.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 11, 2011 7:56:27 AM PDT
Hi Magikchef,
I apologize for the experience you had running QuickBooks 2007 for Mac on Snow Leopard. As you note, there were a number of compatibility issues between QuickBooks 2007 and Snow Leopard, including the fact that registration didn't work on the new operating system. But we haven't seen data corruption; this could be a one-off problem with your file. If you haven't resolved the problems with your file, let me know, I can help.

I understand you're frustrated with the frequency and price of upgrades. We're constantly improving our products based on customer feedback and like to get new features out as fast as possible to make small businesses more productive. Many customers we talk to appreciate the improvements and choose to upgrade. Also, we offer a discounted price for customers upgrading from a prior version. That said, you can always choose to hold off until the next release.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2011 8:33:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011 8:41:31 AM PDT
David says:
I agree that Intuit has become a real bully in the software industry. So, let's see if I have this right. $199.95 for a new full version (download of boxed set) and for an upgrade (since we have been supporting your software authoring endeavors) - hmmm - $199.95 ???????

A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Posted on Oct 11, 2011 7:56:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2011 11:26:27 AM PDT
Hi Magikchef,

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:58:12 PM PDT
Jane G. Cox says:
QuickBooks for Mac 2012When I bought my full version 2007 QB software it didn't have any expiration date. Nor did I agree to any ongoing subscription policy. Nor did I sign any release to forfeit my personal files. I bought the program outright. The software was working fine with Snow Leopard, but when I attempted to re-register the software on my new computer the information I gave was used to terminate my use of QB and deny access to all my personal business and banking files within that program. That is, unless I pay them $229 to get them back. Isn't that a cyber crime?
Do you think that Apple should take any action to protect its Mac users? Like offering a new security patch to keep a certain third party software dealer from breaching our firewalls to hold our personal information hostage to a ransom? Or maybe they should develop an Apple bookkeeping program so we don't have to deal with Intuit any more? I think so.

I don't hold Apple responsible for what is happening, but I do think they bear some responsibility for protecting our personal property. If you are concerned about this issue tell Apple how you feel:
Apple Corporate Headquarters, Research and Development
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
1-408-996-1010

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 8:04:07 AM PDT
With regard to the "manufacturer" comment... I just called Intuit yesterday about my QB2007 suddenly requiring registration and then crapping out when attempting to register. The agent said that 2007 wasn't supported on Snow Leopard (even though before I switched machines it ran fine) and that I would have to shell out $200+ to buy 2012. She also mentioned that I was lucky that my data hadn't been corrupted. She told me, matter of fact, that after 15 uses the company file becomes corrupted. So don't tell people that you haven't seen data corruption. That's garbage. How about Intuit offer some sort of upgrade pricing from QB2007 instead of penalizing them for upgrading their OS.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 9:17:00 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 9:19:09 AM PDT
Hi H.D. Wegener,
Thank you for your comment. As a member of the product development team I can assure you that there is no time-based trigger (e.g. 15 uses) to corrupt your file--you were misinformed. If you have any details on your case (case number would be ideal), I can look up who you spoke to and correct this agent's misunderstanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 1:30:08 PM PDT
Jane G. Cox says:
In answer to Will Lynes, Product Mgr, QuickBooks:
My OS is 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) As you must know by now, many other Mac users of Snow Leopard are having this same issue with SL and Intuit QB 2007. You ask "What OS was I TRYING to install it on?" The answer is I wasn't TRYING to install it. It was working fine, and only quit after talking to the first rep, who gave me what he called "an activation code", and said my registration was renewed. When I still could not launch QB I called and talked to a second rep who then informed me that I would either have to go back to using Tiger or buy QB 2012 for $229. Neither one of these options is acceptable to me.

According to several postings, your reps have said the files are in danger of being corrupted. If that is "misinformation" then the best way to resolve the issue, rather than "shooting the messenger," is to reinstate registration. Then we will be able to see for ourselves if the files are corrupted. Why should we doubt that the files are also in danger of corruption if you have already deceived us into thinking you were helping re-register, only to terminate use of that program?
Jane G. Cox

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2011 5:39:14 PM PDT
Hi Jane,
Snow Leopard brought to the Mac OS sweeping changes, among them, removing the component that QuickBooks 2007 for Mac requires to register. We deeply regret that this prevents QuickBooks 2007 customers from registering QuickBooks for Mac under Snow Leopard. Thus, customers who attempt to register QuickBooks 2007 on Snow Leopard will find the application times out after 15 launches. We didn't take any action to terminate your use of the program. Nor do we do anything to corrupt your data.

I'd like to help however I can. Can you email me at quickbooksmac at intuit dot com so we can find a resolution?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 4:27:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2011 4:34:10 PM PST
Magikchef says:
Mr. Lynes, you are absolutely wrong. That's precisely what happened to my files, they corrupted, after opening it X # of times (I don't remember exactly how many).

It was no surprise to Intuit when I called them. They had me send them my corrupted files and they "Fixed" them and sent them back. This was a standard procedure as they had innumerable corruption complaints at the time.

I can't begin to describe the phenomenal amount of time and aggravation this cost me at tax time.

I get that it's your job to do damage control here, but Intuit has serious integrity issues. And no, I won't upgrade if I can help it. I want out of the insatiable Intuit hunger for more $$$ and unethical ways in which it goes after it.

BTW, most companies invest in improving their program, they just don't nickel and dime their customer's to death. You're killing off would be loyal customers, but someone clearly doesn't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 12:47:52 PM PST
Hi William,
I´m interested in purchasing Quickbooks for Mac 2012 from Amazon, however I don´t know if this is a downloadable version or would I get the item phisically. Personally I would prefer to have a downloadable version for a better price. I´m interested in a 3-user license. Could you contact me about this please?
You may write me to miguel (at) tu3w dot net