4.0 out of 5 stars Great SOHO Gateway, November 2, 2010
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi N Router- Retail Packaging (570763-006-00) (Personal Computers)
When evaluating this type of equipment, one must differentiate between the device itself and other factors that can impact its performance. Blaming the manufacturer for issues likely caused by one's ISP is akin to saying, "I can't get past third gear because of all this construction on the highway... I'll never buy a Jaguar again!"

That said, the SBG6580 is a solid piece of kit.

This latest addition to the SURFboard line combines a DOCSIS 3 cable modem with a gigabit switch and a dual-antenna 802.11n wireless access point, providing all the networking equipment a home office needs in a single compact package... this amounts to a single point of failure, but that's par for the residential course. It can deliver 42 mbps downstream on a single channel (which my provider brands "Lightning") with support for eight bonded channels... meaning that when the day comes that ISPs start selling triple-digit speeds, this gateway won't need to be replaced.

Wi-Fi performance has been comparable to my old draft n router with similar range and throughput in a mixed mode environment. What sets the SBG6580 apart are its better indicator lights and superior configuration utility which offers some settings normally found only on enterprise-grade equipment. Those less inclined to tinker should know that push-button support is provided; once the cable guy finished with the wall outlet, setup took less than five minutes.

Finally, one word of caution: the SBG6580 needs airflow. I originally placed it flush against a similarly-sized backup hard drive on my desk and found the unit hot to the touch after a few hours. To avoid problems, do not block the vents.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2010 11:44:10 AM PDT
packrat says:
Thanks Timothy. Reports from knowledgeable owners are very valuable! As you suggest, when people don't even understand the different factors than can impact internet performance, they'll blame one piece of equipment and use phrases like "this is garbage!" and "doesn't work on my computer." Neither of which is accurate, informative, nor helpful. :(

Personally, I have always gotten rock-solid performance from Motorola's Surfboard line, so you've confirmed my choice to try their new gateway.

Posted on Nov 2, 2010 12:44:23 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Yeah thanks, I have TWC Wideband and they supply this exact gateway. They control everything from the SSID to passcode and I can't make any changes, so I've decided to just purchase my own equipment. Will post a review next week.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 5:43:38 AM PDT
R. Naon says:
Timothy, I think you're missing the point on a single point of failure. Would you prefer 3 points of failure? Maybe 3 power transformers to go bad, 3 main boards to fail or 3 code sets to keep up to date? If one did have all 3 network components any one failure would constitute a system failure so in this case it's better to have a single device.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 6:15:54 AM PDT
R. Naon, I agree with you. My point was that the "single point of failure" excuse should not be sufficient reason to not use this gateway. Thank you for your comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 4:50:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2011 4:52:06 PM PDT
palnud21 says:
I am no techie by any means, but I firmly believe that "typically", you get what you pay for... This seems like a moderately priced modem, so I am strongly considering buying it. If any of these comments seem stupid, please take into account that I do not know the first thing about modem capabilities.

Here are a few questions: 1. I will have 50 mbps capability with my provider (cable one). Will this modem have any problem streaming netflix movies? 2. Is there any additional equipment required to stream netflix? 3. Is there a better modem that is priced in the same range as this modem that I should consider? 4. Is there free tech support available for troubleshooting, because as stated, I am not a computer genius and don't have very reliable sources to help.

Any input from a knowledgable source would be very helpful before spending money on something I will be dissatisfied with.

Please, if you have any additional information that would be helpful for someone with my knowledge level, please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks very much!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 10:32:28 PM PDT
D.K. says:
I have had the motorola surfboard 6580 for exactly 1 month. My internet provider is charter. The surfboard has worked well. Streaming netflix has been great. You will not need any extra equipment. I have a desktop computer, lap top, two ps3's (one wireless and one hardwired), all in one printer, and a android phone (using wifi) connected to the surfboard using the wireless technology. Just make sure your internet provider can handle the new DOCSIS 3.0 technology. If your internet provider supports the motorola surfboard, let the tech support enable the modem for you. I do not know if there is a better modem in this price range. As far as tech support, I have not contacted the company, but usually you are provided with some type of limited free tech support. Just remember to purchase a warranty! Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011 9:40:11 AM PDT
David Rowden says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 9:37:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2011 9:40:16 AM PST
basicblur says:
A few years ago, I purchased a Motorola router/wireless combo-overnight it stopped working, but I suspect it may have been on Comcast's end as they seemed to have a terrible time simply moving from my old modem to my new one. Mebbe it's my imagination, but I got the feeling I was being jerked around, possibly in an effort to get me to rent my wireless network from them instead of buying it (and that ain't gonna happen).

Anywho-when I called to complain I could no long get a `Net signal, they started whining "but your unit is wireless"! I repeatedly informed the gal that my wireless was working fine-I couldn't get on the `Net. She continued to whine about my (combo) unit being wireless, and how they don't support it (I assume since I wasn't renting wireless from them), but I was not complaining `bout the wireless.

Anywho II-I yanked the new modem, put my old separate modem and wireless router back in, unplugged the wireless, then called `em back-"OK folks, my wireless is now outta the system!" They got me back online shortly with little muss or fuss.

After this little fiasco, I decided to keep my wireless router and cable modem separate-should one company (Comcast/Motorola) or the other (D-Link) start whining `bout a combo unit and trying to blame the problem on each other, I can just yank the cable between the two and remove the back and forth game two manufacturers like to put you in the middle of as they try to blame each other for a problem.
I sent my old Motorola combo modem back and got a refund-I told the vendor Comcast said the modem was bad, but I had my doubts-I think they were just trying to pressure me into renting my wireless.

I currently run an old Motorola SB5101 with D-Link DIR Extreme N 655 wireless router-been running this setup for a loooooong time! Two years ago, I set up my daughter's system with a Motorola SBG901 with the same D-Link wireless router.
Both have been rock solid for a number of years, and have excellent speeds.

Moral of the story-sometimes two separate devices can be better when it comes to troubleshooting problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 9:12:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 9:14:55 AM PST
Oksana says:
So,Jonathan, how did it go?
Does a new one work with TWC?
I am considering the same BrightHouse (same TWB). You never posted a review...

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 10:10:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2012 10:30:45 AM PST
S. Yuen says:
Tim can you tell me what firmware version you got? I'm curious if the newer 6580's have updated firmware. Mine which was bought 1.5 years ago is version SBG6580-3.1.0.0-GA-07-180-NOSH and more recently encountered constant internet drops. People on the internet with the same firmware version say the firmware is buggy. I resorted to a separate modem and wireless router setup with Comcast in addition to using the 6580 as a wireless access point.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›