Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I have ever made, November 10, 2009
This review is from: SONOS PLAY:5 Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music (White) (Gen 1) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I have debated buying the Sonos system for several months mostly due to price and also in part wondering if it could truly live up to the claims and reviews. I am fairly technical and am usually an early adopter, although have at times, been disappointed with other purchases not working quite as well as advertised. I am thrilled with all aspects of my Sonos purchase and cannot believe how easy it was to set up and the sound quality. I received it about an hour ago, and in minutes, had the Zone Bridge connected to my router (since the router is kept hidden in a closet out of sight) and then the S5 ZonePlayer set up in my living room. I can now stream my iTunes Library from a Time Capsule (NAS) and listen to streaming music from Pandora, Last.fm, Sirius and more. Plus, as a transplanted Minnesotan in New York, I can save my favorite local stations from MN and listen to them here as if I were at home. The music is flawless, crystal clear and I would never know it is from the internet- no stutters, gaps or delay. This is one product that has surpassed my expectations completely. The only downside I can see will be now wanting to buy another S5 for my bedroom.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2009 1:31:00 PM PST
S. Westley says:
thanks for all the feedback - i have been eyeing this system for a while but was nervous with the cost as well as the nature of change in the a/v world. 2 questions for anyone that may help:

1- reliance on router - my place is on 3 levels and i can get spotty signal reception depending on where i am online at home - will this be an issue with this system.

2- i plan on inserting the s5's into my ceilings in 3 zones - wil this be anissue for sound quality, can this fill a large room ? think 20 foot ceiling in a loft that is 40 ' by 20 '...

any comments appreciated.

thks

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 5:27:59 PM PST
S. Westley says:

any comments appreciated.

thks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 10:57:50 AM PST
C. Douglas says:
I'll try to answer based on my experience, but you may wish to give Sonos a ring to ask them as well too. Re #1, keep in mind the wireless mesh network sonos uses does not run through your wireless router, it uses a Zone Bridge to beam music wirelessly if you don't have the S5 directly (wired) connected to your router. I would look into the tech specs on Sonos' site to check on distances between units, etc. My guess is that if you have a Zone Bridge at router and a series of S%s through the house, they would extend Sonos' network. #2 the sound quality is excellent and powerful and I could likely blast my neighbors out if I wanted to (being in a high rise). Sound wise it would be fine I think, the aesthetics of it in the ceiling though I am not sure about. Each unit would need an electrical outlet and as they are somewhat heavy would need solid support.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2009 5:43:55 AM PST
I don't have an S5, but for permanent sound in such a big room, I think you'd be better off for sound quality (esp stereo separation) getting one of the older Sonos units and running wires from it to actual speakers. Maybe the in-ceiling speakers if looks are important. We did something like this on a porch (Sonos is in basement, wires run through walls to two decent outdoor speakers) for great sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2009 9:51:50 AM PST
I would definitely recommend using one of the standard amped units like the ZP100 or ZP120 for such a setup.. I recently did a Sonos install where all the rooms in this new house had the white, in-ceiling speakers being described. We had all the wired rooms wired to a closet full of ZP100's. It works great. Fantastic six zone setup. I really think this is your best option.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›