Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Redgrave is a gem!, July 16, 2010
This review is from: Letters to Juliet (DVD)
I took a dear elder aged friend to this movie on a bad day in his life, hoping to distract him momentarily from events he couldn't do anything about. Instead, the movie re-invigorated both of us, and brought us repeatedly to tears. Say what you want about "feel good" movies, there are times when they are just what the doctor ordered!

Vanessa Redgrave is the heart of this film. The delicately fearless way she sets out to find her young lover, the grace with which she moves through the ups and downs of a process that could end in heartbreak, the care with which she brushes the young Sophie's hair...she is simply and purely lovely. Women d'un certain age should enjoy the possibilities she presents for aging beautifully.

I also suspect this movie was made after the death of Redgrave's daughter, Natasha Richardson, and so the scenes in which she calls Sophie "my darling" and loves her so freely are especially moving. Hollywood, listen up! Cast more Vanessa Redgraves, Judy Denschs and Helen Mirrens as stars in movies about life after 60, and you'll fill the theaters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2011 5:34:24 PM PDT
What a wonderful review. Strangely I was feeling kind of down about myself which is not often, and came upon this movie today - 6/25/11 - an HBO free day, and at age 73-1/2 I was in tears beholding the beauty and stately grace of Vanessa Redgrave who has always been one of my heroines. I had not seen a film with her in decades. She is more lovely than ever.
Sophie is a wonderful sensitive young lady and yes, I believe her acting reflected true feelings after her dear daughter Natasha Richardson's death. People act from life I believe. Of course I will be ordering this DVD from Amazon if and when it is available immediately after signing off here. Charlie, Claire's grandson, was the greatest "Romeo" possible.

And Meredith I agree with you about casting more of these great ladies, who are my inspiration as I am a silver woman too, but Vanessa Redgrave is pure platinum--as are three of some others you mention, Dame Judi, and Helen Mirren--strong, invincible, and they are true Queens of their craft. I was so thrilled to see Vanessa Redgrave' (herself's) former love, the still-dashing and sexy Franco Nero, in the film. They even looked in love!

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 6:49:48 PM PST
If you are a fan of Judi Dench you must be sure to see "Notes on a Scandal".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2014 2:35:16 PM PST
Christine T says:
Tara Lawrence-Stuart: I'm an Englishwoman in my mid-fifties, and I watched this film just yesterday! What an excellent film it is! (And those words come from someone - ie, me!- who is NOT a films person; ie, I don't very often watch them, as am not very interested in films)

I thought you might like to know that Vanessa Redgrave and Franco Nero married in 2008; ie, a couple of years before this film was made. As you may know, they have a son (born 1969, I think), from their relationship decades ago. So they were husband and wife in real life, when they acted in this film.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›